Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dual Monitor Set Up for Flir and/or FPV

Reaction score
Website
www.flyhighusa.com
I would like to show everyone our latest dual monitor setup, We are currently building a custom Matrice 100 Thermal package for a Professor @ The University of South Carolina's Biological Sciences Division. He wanted a specific need addressed, the build required dual monitors with dual live feeds. One monitor was needed for viewing the X3 feed which is obviously the ipad. The second monitor is for viewing the thermal image provided by the Flir Vue Pro 13mm 640 camera. I decided a side by side monitor layout would be good in this particular build. I wanted the dual tablet holder set up to be easily removed in case a single tablet setup is needed. Obviously all of you guys and gals out there know how to remove the tablet holder. That's all it takes to change from the dual to the original single setup. So far this is really working nicely, I would like some feedback from my fellow DJI owners out there. Please be nice (lol). This is the first prototype so I want to get some feedback in order to make it as simple and user friendly as possible. I thank you in advance for your feedback. Happy flying to all!!!

Respectfully,
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

IMG_1463.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1461.JPG
    IMG_1461.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
Looks OK to me though I might wish for some support between them higher up to reduce the bending moment on the mount.

How are you downlinking the two feeds?

Also, I see an antenna mod was that also requested and is there expectation that this will be used beyond visual range.

Brian

Surprisingly the rod I used is really strong and it doesn't bend at all even when I apply pressure, not a bad idea though!! Lightbridge is used for the DJI camera and I'm using Iftron clearview technology for the flir. The antenna mod is actually not for the thermal build, this is on a separate system I have at my shop. I just put the dual monitor mount on this remote because it was handy so I could take some pics. The modded remote is used for a more consistent signal strength through woodland and light brush although it can be a definite range booster for those who want to fly out on longer missions. I personally don't make a habit out of flying beyond line of site.
Respectfully,
Ralph

looks good, i would probably turn them a bit inwards for better view and put them closer together for the two sunshades to be able to be linked up as one. in case only one is needed then that is also possible. do you have a tray for the setup?
i'd get or make one so the whole stuff is not hanging down the neck which can be fairly heavy.
another thought is to strenghthen the rod like said above but i would make it a trangle to have mor support for the monitors and be able to have them stay in the tilt you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FlyHighUSA
Thanks man, I appreciate the input, They tilt is fully adjustable which is cool, The reason they are as far apart as they are is the client is using larger tablets than I am showing also the tablet holders can be easily moved laterally very easily to get the desired position. Yes there is a tray and harness to help with distributing the weight of the setup. I like the monitor support idea. My hope is to take all of the great ideas that I hear and keep fine tuning the unit until it works perfectly. Thanks Phatzo!!!

Reactions: Phatzo
I took your advice Phatzo and moved them a little closer, I have it worked out where when the client uses his ipad and the monitor we are supplying they will almost touch. I am going to look at strengthening the rod like you and Raptorman suggested. It already feels much better. The screens are easily individually adjustable, and If only one is needed then simply remove one bolt and reinstall the single tablet and wala!!! the single tablet holder (like the original is back in place). Thanks for the feedback so far.
Respectfully,
Ralph

you made me think :)
you can get one of those monitor holders you can "screw on" the handle that is on the back side of the RC. now, since you have the tools for it probably you could see if there is a clamp solution for that kind with the supporting rods on the back the weight is also more in the back but the sticks are free with nothing above obstructing them.
or make a holder on the tray for the monitors to fit in. this way the RC would not have to be disassembled or reassembled instead you have a clamp (check out the solutions in film production)- when you need it you put it on and secure it (magic arm) in case you do not take it off and leave it in your car or technician.

I made myself a bag on that principle. finally also was able to make some nice product photos.

here are some pics of it. to give you an idea of what I mean (I am sure you understand my idea and direction I think).

when fully packed and that is almost always the case including my gamer laptop I bought six years ago the whole stuff weighs 27.9Kg BUT I am good to go for a day of flying - including a lunch break - given the possibility to charge I can maintain a full day.

above that I have EVERYTHING I need within this bag. no hassle, no separate bag or peli I have to haul around. I had a one day shot with this thing on my back all day and I didn´t even feel it was there. due to the adopted knitting of off a hiking backpack the comfort is tremendous. I love it. I call it the Phat Pack - pretty hot and tempting pack :) LOL which is also my company´s name: Phat Entertainment.

I was looking into having the most and easiest way to over look and to be able to get to it (just grab it out and go). reading all the posts here with motorbike riders and hikers this is what I came up with. it also has a rain bag tucked away for humid or rainy weather when really on a bike trip with this monster. the KG I mention is fully loaded. with 8 batteries, two remotes, a 7" monitor, HD SDI cable on the back, all ND filters from our friend in china rainbowers, a powerbank for fast charging a phone, sunhood for the monitor, two cameras (X3 at the moment) an iPhone 6 for operator and some other stuff I don´t know by heart. I designed it to go in landing mode without the camera but for short trips it can stay attached. generally I take it off.

hope I could help with this a bit more on what I am thinking about. - before anyone asks I am looking for a company that can manufacture this and planning to sell it yes.

Attachments

• 1L1A0342.JPG
    1L1A0342.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 1L1A0360.JPG
    1L1A0360.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 1L1A0367.JPG
    1L1A0367.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 1L1A0387.JPG
    1L1A0387.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 63
  • 1L1A0402.JPG
    1L1A0402.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 1L1A0410.JPG
    1L1A0410.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 1L1A0414.JPG
    1L1A0414.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 1L1A0419.JPG
    1L1A0419.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 1L1A0484.JPG
    1L1A0484.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1L1A0489.JPG
    1L1A0489.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 58
you can get one of those monitor holders you can "screw on" the handle that is on the back side of the RC. now, since you have the tools for it probably you could see if there is a clamp solution for that kind with the supporting rods on the back the weight is also more in the back but the sticks are free with nothing above obstructing them.
or make a holder on the tray for the monitors to fit in. this way the RC would not have to be disassembled or reassembled instead you have a clamp (check out the solutions in film production)- when you need it you put it on and secure it (magic arm) in case you do not take it off and leave it in your car or technician.

I made myself a bag on that principle. finally also was able to make some nice product photos.

here are some pics of it. to give you an idea of what I mean (I am sure you understand my idea and direction I think).

when fully packed and that is almost always the case including my gamer laptop I bought six years ago the whole stuff weighs 27.9Kg BUT I am good to go for a day of flying - including a lunch break - given the possibility to charge I can maintain a full day.

above that I have EVERYTHING I need within this bag. no hassle, no separate bag or peli I have to haul around. I had a one day shot with this thing on my back all day and I didn´t even feel it was there. due to the adopted knitting of off a hiking backpack the comfort is tremendous. I love it. I call it the Phat Pack - pretty hot and tempting pack :) LOL which is also my company´s name: Phat Entertainment.

I was looking into having the most and easiest way to over look and to be able to get to it (just grab it out and go). reading all the posts here with motorbike riders and hikers this is what I came up with. it also has a rain bag tucked away for humid or rainy weather when really on a bike trip with this monster. the KG I mention is fully loaded. with 8 batteries, two remotes, a 7" monitor, HD SDI cable on the back, all ND filters from our friend in china rainbowers, a powerbank for fast charging a phone, sunhood for the monitor, two cameras (X3 at the moment) an iPhone 6 for operator and some other stuff I don´t know by heart. I designed it to go in landing mode without the camera but for short trips it can stay attached. generally I take it off.

hope I could help with this a bit more on what I am thinking about. - before anyone asks I am looking for a company that can manufacture this and planning to sell it yes.
Yep I totally great with you and I would love to speak with you about your ideas.

I really like your ideas and I think you and I may be able to collaborate and come up with some really useful items. I'm always open to anyone's ideas.
Respectfully
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

I really like your ideas and I think you and I may be able to collaborate and come up with some really useful items. I'm always open to anyone's ideas.
Respectfully
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

well i won't spoil a good thing to be made :) i am in :)
pm?

Why not one screen with a split/view?
good idea but how do you join the signals and what monitor size would be not too heavy? hdmi splitter would be needed and a space on the tray for the extra equptment...
edit: 7" is to small for split screen or pip. min of 9" or bigger for that. when you in turn have two smaller full screen it is less hassle in my opinion. an ipad and a 7" .
weight might be the same but still easier to go with.

Phatzo, that is exactly what i am looking for, love the idea and think that you are a real creator , i want one like this.

Its very apparent that a lot of thought and work has gone into making this setup.
This is just a thought but a company I have purchased from does have a similar setup up and modification. Hopefully you will not mind if I share this company with you. I have their Inspire tray and also use the strap/belt and its very very comfortable.
Regards,
Richard T

Transmitter Mobile Device Holder SE for Tray Dual Cross Member

Reactions: FlyHighUSA
Its very apparent that a lot of thought and work has gone into making this setup.
This is just a thought but a company I have purchased from does have a similar setup up and modification. Hopefully you will not mind if I share this company with you. I have their Inspire tray and also use the strap/belt and its very very comfortable.
Regards,
Richard T

Transmitter Mobile Device Holder SE for Tray Dual Cross Member
I would welcome any information here is my personal email [email protected]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Questglt