Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

dual operator iPad specs

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have just acquired the inspire 1 pro and have a query about the necessary specs for dual operation with the iPad. I've not got a smart phone or any cellular device for starters. I see that in order to utilize the GPS function of this kit I'll need to get an iPad with cellular. As well, I can appreciate the convenience/necessity of summoning maps, weather and the sort while in the field. I'm leaning toward the iPad pro with the A9x chip. My question is, "Can I get away with having the slave iPad Pro being a wi-fi only model?" Also, "Is storage capacity a key factor in happy/seamless operation." After belching out the funds that I have at this point I wouldn't mind saving something where I can! That being said, I've no want for cutting corners when it comes to sending this investment into the skies. Thank-you in advance for sharing with me your collective experience/wisdom.

You don't have to have gps. It does let you change the home point and follow me. It's handy to have cell data, but I just turn on my phone hotspot for internet if I need it. My pro is cellular but that's because I knew if I didn't have it I'd always be feeling I was missing something

Reactions: Advexure
Thank you for replying so promptly. So just to be clear, a cellular enabled iPad isn't needed for 'Follow me' or 'Change Home Point' features? I've got the most recent base model 9.7" 32gb iPad with an A9 chip and in a fit of uncertainty get concerned that it mightn't have the performance to match that of the Inspire. I'd hate to have one of those "hindsight is 20/20'" moments were I to lose contact with the bird. Cheers once again for taking the time for you response.

Follow Me and Dynamic Home Point solely relies on GPS and not cellular data. A device with a built-in GPS and without cellular data can take advantage of these features.

As @Bob Stekeur mentioned, it's very convenient to have cellular data out in the field. We have one iPad with a cellular plan that allows us to tether and then all other devices we're using in the field can use the cellular from that device and be wi-fi only units (can be the same for your cam op or second operator's RC).

Storage capacity really is not a key factor but processing power most definitely is. iPad Pro is a great device, the newest models with the faster processors perform better but obviously take a hit to the wallet. :(

Enjoy your new aircraft and safe flying! The IP community is a great source of help and knowledge. All the best to you!

I've got the iPad Pro with no data. Have been very happy with it once I got the right adapter to use it on the regular tablet mount

Follow Me and Dynamic Home Point solely relies on GPS and not cellular data. A device with a built-in GPS and without cellular data can take advantage of these features.

As @Bob Stekeur mentioned, it's very convenient to have cellular data out in the field. We have one iPad with a cellular plan that allows us to tether and then all other devices we're using in the field can use the cellular from that device and be wi-fi only units (can be the same for your cam op or second operator's RC).

Storage capacity really is not a key factor but processing power most definitely is. iPad Pro is a great device, the newest models with the faster processors perform better but obviously take a hit to the wallet. :(

Enjoy your new aircraft and safe flying! The IP community is a great source of help and knowledge. All the best to you!
Hello @Advexure and thank you for sharing your knowledge on this matter. I've been following comment threads within this community (as well as in the redditsphere) as a non-member for a while now as I aspire to learn as much as possible before taking this plunge. So much information to disseminate has, at times, nearly dissuaded me as there has often been conflicting opinions expressed within. Now that I have committed myself, becoming a member in the process, it is reassuring to receive such prompt answers to my query. Again, thank you and Cheers!

I've got the iPad Pro with no data. Have been very happy with it once I got the right adapter to use it on the regular tablet mount
Hello @mpaerial and thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. When you speak of an adapter for the regular tablet mount, am I correct in reading that as you've got the 12.9" model? Again, thank you for the prompt response. It is comforting to see that the enthusiasm for this craft/business/hobby extends beyond the flying/filming/enjoying of it! Cheers.

Hello @mpaerial and thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. When you speak of an adapter for the regular tablet mount, am I correct in reading that as you've got the 12.9" model? Again, thank you for the prompt response. It is comforting to see that the enthusiasm for this craft/business/hobby extends beyond the flying/filming/enjoying of it! Cheers.
I believe only the 9.7" pro's will fit in the dji holder.

I believe only the 9.7" pro's will fit in the dji holder.
Thank you @Bob Stekeur. After posting my reply to @mpaerial I checked to affirm the size options on the iPad pro. Thinking that there was a 9.7" and 12.9" choice to be had. Turns out that the upcoming release is doing away with the 9.7" in favour of a 10.5"?! With an iOS 11 no less. I can say with a measure of confidence, and a dollop of dismay, that I'll never manage to keep up! Thanks again for your response.

The stock device holder on the Inspire 1 and Inspire 2 can accommodate devices up to 170mm wide.

9.7‑inch iPad Pro: 167.7 mm
10.5‑inch iPad Pro: 174.1 mm
12.9‑inch iPad Pro: 220.6 mm

For 10.5 and 12.9 one solution is the Tablet Device Extension for DJI Remotes.

View attachment 14901
Thank you for following up @Advexure! While it is that I've got the 9.7" iPad I'd imagine that a larger screen might make it easier on my 52 year old eyes. At 12.9" of screen size, mind you, my 52 year old back/shoulders/arms might beg to differ! Cheers for sharing.

Reactions: Advexure
I fly with two 9.7" iPads. They are plenty big enough for my 61 year old eyes. The key is a really good sunshade. I've been using the Hoodman Aviator system for a few months now. It is nothing short of awesome. Drone Aviator hood kit for iPad - HAV2KIT
Hello @MKL and apologies for not responding to you sooner. It seems that work still takes precedence in my life over such fun as this new addiction! However, with more practice and knowledge gained, there may one day be a fusion of this current dichotomy I'm experiencing! Also, I couldn't agree with you more regarding the sunshade. I'm still awaiting arrival of mine in the mail. While my Inspire might have a closer glimpse of a crow's feet way up yonder, I'm working on my own crow's feet as I intently squint at/through the reflections on my iPad! Happy flying!

Hello everyone. I have just acquired the inspire 1 pro and have a query about the necessary specs for dual operation with the iPad. I've not got a smart phone or any cellular device for starters. I see that in order to utilize the GPS function of this kit I'll need to get an iPad with cellular. As well, I can appreciate the convenience/necessity of summoning maps, weather and the sort while in the field. I'm leaning toward the iPad pro with the A9x chip. My question is, "Can I get away with having the slave iPad Pro being a wi-fi only model?" Also, "Is storage capacity a key factor in happy/seamless operation." After belching out the funds that I have at this point I wouldn't mind saving something where I can! That being said, I've no want for cutting corners when it comes to sending this investment into the skies. Thank-you in advance for sharing with me your collective experience/wisdom.

Hello, I too run the Inspire with dual controllers (Pilot and Camera operator). My pilot iPad is the iPad Air2 with cell and wifi and the camera controller is with only wifi. As others have noted, the Follow Me feature does need a lot of processing power and my Air 2 is vasty under powered. In Follow me mode the processing of the video images is so slow I can only walk at a very slow pace for it to follow me. I have been looking at upgrading my Air 2, but do not really need the Follow Me feature right now. To answer your questions, yes you can run the slave with just wifi and storage capacity for the iPad should not be an issue since you are storing your images on the chip in the camera. So my advice is to buy and much processing power as you can afford to avoid incompatibility with future DJI upgrades.

Larr2000
Inspire 1 with Litchi v1.17.2, Aircraft 1.11.01.50
RC 1.7.80, Camera 1.10.01.40
August 2017

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84