Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Emergency Operations Center Live Video Solution

Reaction score
Hello,

I work for a local government and we are looking for a solution to transmit video from our Inspire 1 back to our EOC without relying on cell service. During the recent hurricane, we lost cell tower coverage and had problems live streaming to Facebook on our private page. We do have a 300' radio tower that we can place an antenna on if that's the right solution. We would need to be able to put the transmitter on our inspire or maybe a vehicle. I was looking into 1.2ghz but i'm not sure that's the right solution. Max range from the Rx on the tower would be less than 10 miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Ryan

Interested to see what you find since I am looking for a similar solution but for a different purpose. I was thinking maybe something that would take the HDMI output off the controller and transmits it via an external device of some sort. Livestream seems close but you need to use their hosting service. But their device allows you to connect to various sources such as 4G modems or Ethernet.

Reactions: CS_UAS1
We need something that can do 5-10 miles
In the product description the are saying:

Transmission distance LOS: 1-8KM, air to ground: 8-20km, NLOS: >400meters

Air to ground 8-20 km would be roughly 5 to 12 miles.
I assume, that, when the aircraft is in the air, you will have LOS to your 300 ft tower.

I think, i have to get hold of that device somehow and test this.

Reactions: CS_UAS1
Maybe we need to widen the search parameter. Rather than focus on the video transmission, go broader and look for point to point Ethernet. Focused WiFi or other means. Ubiquiti Networks - Wireless networking products for broadband and enterprise Might be a good place to start. It has offerings for licensed and unlicensed bands. The more focused you need the signal then you have issues setting up and aiming the system. Would a satellite based internet work? I am guessing the feed needs to be one way and you will not be controlling the bird from a remote location.

You didn't mention what your budget was for this. There is always a solution given enough money.

Reactions: Keule
I would say budget is around $20k. I think Satellite would be a bit expensive. Ideally if we can find an antenna that we can place on top of a vehicle that could hit the tower it would be a win. I would rather find something that doesn't need to be attached to the inspire so we don't have to worry about hurting flight time. Unless there is a small enough antenna and rx that we can find then it would be LOS to the tower.

If sat comm is to expensive, i thought about this: Replace a satellite with a drone ...
To overcome flight time problems, that stationary (relay) drone is power fed by external wires.
Have a look, what do you think?
upload_2017-9-23_8-55-37.png

Hi,
Rajant Corp (Rajant Corporation: Pioneer of Kinetic Wireless Mesh Networks) produces equipment for IP mesh networks and they have special models for drones. Main benefit that each node can act as relay for other nodes.
We tested their equipment with DJI drones and also with tethered drone as relay -
Through this network you can get not only video but voice, c&c link to the drones (if you will use UgCS) etc.
System with tethered drone will be much more expensive then your budget but I think that with your poles you can get sufficient range.
If you want to contact them I can send you contact of right person in Rajant. Drop us message to [email protected].

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo