Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Erratic X5 Camera activity!

Reaction score
Website
weflyanydrone.com
I have a barely used Inspire 1 Pro with the stock lens and i have an Olympus pan-cake lens for it too.

A few times recently it has started to take photos autonomously and in a very erratic manner.

I have taken a little video because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do a very good job of describing this in text.

I have managed to provoke this problem into happening by simply clicking on the screen shutter switch. I have tried two different tablets (both android) and different usb leads - no change. I have reset the camera back to defaults - no change, i have inspected the camera for damage (including contacts on aircraft) - nothing found.
i have NOT managed to provoke the same response from the physical shutter switch on the RC but that doesn't mean much. This is a stock RC and a stock aircraft!

I also noticed that the aperture was opening and closing quite dramatically during these episodes.

Any Ideas?
Video clip on OneDrive: 20160816_173636.mp4

...and I've just noticed another bit of crazy behaviour...
the standard X5 lens trying out a bit of Zooming !

see this clip (also on OneDrive) 20160816_192219.mp4

App: 2.8.3
Version: 1.9.1.30
Camera: 1.9.1.30
RC: 1.7.40

Last edited:
Looks like you have the interval timer set.

Hold down the camera button to access the menu. Select option 4.

I have a barely used Inspire 1 Pro with the stock lens and i have an Olympus pan-cake lens for it too.

A few times recently it has started to take photos autonomously and in a very erratic manner.

I have taken a little video because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do a very good job of describing this in text.

I have managed to provoke this problem into happening by simply clicking on the screen shutter switch. I have tried two different tablets (both android) and different usb leads - no change. I have reset the camera back to defaults - no change, i have inspected the camera for damage (including contacts on aircraft) - nothing found.
i have NOT managed to provoke the same response from the physical shutter switch on the RC but that doesn't mean much. This is a stock RC and a stock aircraft!

I also noticed that the aperture was opening and closing quite dramatically during these episodes.

Any Ideas?
Video clip on OneDrive: 20160816_173636.mp4

...and I've just noticed another bit of crazy behaviour...
the standard X5 lens trying out a bit of Zooming !

see this clip (also on OneDrive) 20160816_192219.mp4

App: 2.8.3
Version: 1.9.1.30
Camera: 1.9.1.30
RC: 1.7.40
Here is something you might like to try! Go into manual focus and see if things improve. The observation I make from the video is that the focus point is very close. It may be that in auto focus mode it can not focus and is trying to auto focus hence the movement, but it cannot due to the closeness of the objects you are using. I would try auto focusing on something much further away and see if things improve. Run some tests between auto and manual focus and compare the results, but make sure the objects are at least 6 feet away to start with. Good Luck and I hope you get a result.

Here is something you might like to try! ... The observation I make from the video is that the focus point is very close.... Good Luck and I hope you get a result.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this crazy clicking generally happens in the field when the aircraft is in the air and the camera is hundreds of metres away from its subject. The video clip was taken in my van which explains why everything was so close.

I believe this to be a software issue as I have not seen it happen when using the RC button.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this crazy clicking generally happens in the field when the aircraft is in the air and the camera is hundreds of metres away from its subject. The video clip was taken in my van which explains why everything was so close.

I believe this to be a software issue as I have not seen it happen when using the RC button.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the feedback on my suggestions and I apologize for not having had a complete understanding of your circumstances. Anyway I hope you overcome the problem soon.

So do I ! ... I'm sat in a van right now, in a field in Yorkshire, I'm out here surveying power poles and I'm getting better images from a P4 than from the Inspire... the P4 is even holding its position better. Today is one of those days when wonder why I bother with the Inspire... the **** thing is always hard work!
The wind is gusting at 40+mph and the P4 is so stable that it is letting me get within 2-3 metres of the insulators and still producing sharp images. The Inspire is crap in this wind, the **** thing just blows away! - I've even checked a few times to make sure its not in atti' mode.
I'm very pissed off!

Sorry to hear that Nick. I've used Phantoms in the past, but have found the Inspire One to be more stable and quite the opposite to what you are experiencing. I live 50 Km outside Melbourne, Australia in a rural setting and was flying in open space, but with strong gusty wind conditions the other day. The aircraft was being buffeted, but it maintained it's position and altitude. Clearly there is something odd going on with your Inspire One Pro system. Perhaps it's time to speak with DJI Support though there on-line chat sessions or perhaps via email. They may be able to assist you and offer some meaningful suggestions as to what may be causing your difficulties and more importantly give you a potential solution.

... I'm sat in a van right now, in a field in Yorkshire, I'm out here surveying power poles......
The wind is gusting at 40+mph.......
I am intrigued. What maximum operational wind speed have you entered into your ops manual?
40mph puts flying outside the manufacturers spec for the Inspire - therefore you are flying outside the parameters of your aircraft.
This could also have implications for Insurance cover since you would not be operating within the confines of your CAA lodged ops manual.

I will not justify myself to you in any way whatsoever.
Why are you are always aggressive, unhelpful and critical?
You alone are the most negative thing about this site...
Please don't comment on anything else that I post.

I will not justify myself to you in any way whatsoever.
Why are you are always aggressive, unhelpful and critical?
You alone are the most negative thing about this site...
Please don't comment on anything else that I post.
Apologies if I hit a nerve but I think you and I both know under the terms of your PFAW you should not be operating in 40mph winds! There is a reason certified operators have to submit an ops manual to the CAA. And the Aviation Authority expect permission holders to adhere to it.
I think there are more than a few people who will attest to how helpful I have been to members on this forum but people always seem to respond with anger if they are found to be in the wrong.

Your comments are flawed because you have made assumptions, you have misunderstood, and then you have started making accusations.
Your apology is clearly a hollow one otherwise you wouldn't be using it as a way to assert your self righteous rant.
The email that you sent me thanking me for reporting you to yourself illustrates that you are some type of bully, showing off that you can behave any way you please because you are above sanctions.

Your comments are flawed because you have made assumptions, you have misunderstood, and then you have started making accusations.
Your apology is clearly a hollow one otherwise you wouldn't be using it as a way to assert your self righteous rant.
The email that you sent me thanking me for reporting you to yourself illustrates that you are some type of bully, showing off that you can behave any way you please because you are above sanctions.
Please correct me where I am mistaken in my assumptions and I will be the first to apologise.

Incidentally, you omitted to mention that I asked how I could be construed as rude and aggressive (both of which you accused me of)
I am happy for the entire email to be quoted:

Nick,

Thank you for your reporting me - to myself.
I was neither rude nor aggressive towards you in my post but simply intrigued as to how your were operating commercially in gusting 40mph winds which is outside the operational limitions of the aircraft you were using.

I fail to see how you can construe that as rude or aggressive.
It may however have angered you to have been asked a question which clearly would have you operating outside your granted PFAW permission.

I would have thought it is more grown up to actually admit your mistake and put your hands up rather than throw your toys out of your pram!

Regards

Mark
'The Editor'
Moderator - www.inspirepilots.com

You assumed that I was working, I was not!, you failed to notice that I was complaining about gusts being in excess of 40mph.
I measure the wind speed with an anemometer before most flights, today I measured the wind-speed before every flight, on the ground it was never above 6.9m/s prior to a flight, I was aware of some gusting... later after uploading my logs to healthydrones, I noticed just how powerful some of those gusts were.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6