Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

External Bluetooth GPS units on IOS

Reaction score
I wanted to connect my old EMTAC Bluetooth GPS module to my iPad mini 2 Wifi, but of course i soon found out that this is not possible and that only a very few external GPS units are compatible with IOS.

The reason i wanted to connect it is so that i can load maps real time since my iPad doesn't have a built in GPS unit, i.e. cellular.

So my question is does anybody know which external GPS units works with IOS and which ones works good for my purpose?
Which one are you using, if there is anybody using this type of setup?
Thanks.

Last edited:
As i wrote in my previous post, so that i can load maps in real time.

Or how would i otherwise be able to load maps in real time without a Wifi network nearby, and with an iPad that has no cellular, i.e. no GPS?

Last edited:
You'll need an Internet connection in order to do that. The GPS on your Inspire will be used to pinpoint it's location on the map in the DJI GO app, so you won't need GPS on your mobile device.

You'll need an Internet connection in order to do that. The GPS on your Inspire will be used to pinpoint it's location on the map in the DJI GO app, so you won't need GPS on your mobile device.

I thought the maps need to be updated either with internet connection available or with the GPS unit on the iPad, in those cases when the iPad has a GPS unit built in?

Or maybe the only way to load the maps are thru internet and not thru the GPS unit on the iPad? In that case this thread was unnecessary.

But I'm pretty sure there are people using external GPS units with their ipads to turn a Wifi only iPad to a navigator

Last edited:

Or how would i otherwise be able to load maps in real time without a Wifi network nearby, and with an iPad that has no cellular, i.e. no GPS?
Use your smartphone as a hotspot, link you iPad and connect to the internet that way.
Cache your maps, flick into airplane mode (on both devices) and you' re good to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah