Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Extremely High Wind? What to do?

Just wanted to also add the expo and gain on the App settings have nothing to do nor affect the hover performance (station keeping) of the platform.

The autopilots correction control and its movement amount are based solely on just how severe the machine moves from its intended position. Even if the pilots controls were set to say 60% if something (wind) rolled the drone say 10 degrees, the processor would use 100% control to right it back to level position.

Thanks

They removed wind compensation when you move the sticks

Do you have any more info on this? Why the hell would they remove the wind compensation? That only seems to cripple the ease of use of the system.

OK...thank you for that information.....very helpful!

It would have been good to know that before trying to fly in 40mph winds right? Did you eyeball the windspeed or actually measure it?
in my opinion, it is generally not safe to fly in windpseeds of around 8-10ms.

I have, on two occasions watched as a very costly platform could not hold against the windspeed. In on case the wind took the platform around 600m away from me before it could recover from the backward momentum and start making its way home, I then watched as it kept coming home, then drifting back again etc for about 20 mins while I hoped the battery would hold out............Since then an anemometer has been my best friend.

Reactions: The Editor
It would have been good to know that before trying to fly in 40mph winds right? Did you eyeball the windspeed or actually measure it?
in my opinion, it is generally not safe to fly in windpseeds of around 8-10ms.

I have, on two occasions watched as a very costly platform could not hold against the windspeed. In on case the wind took the platform around 600m away from me before it could recover from the backward momentum and start making its way home, I then watched as it kept coming home, then drifting back again etc for about 20 mins while I hoped the battery would hold out............Since then an anemometer has been my best friend.
I eyeballed it.....I kinda figure any wind that knocks me over ( I weigh 250LBS), is more wind than I want to fly in.

Kirk

NO....I flew American Airlines....but all I did was what I learned here on this Forum.

I went to Walmart and I purchased the biggest suitcase they sell, it's $79....it has 4 wheels on it and it holds the Inspire 1 case PERFECTLY!!!!

I take everything out of the inspire case except for the inspire itself and the props.

I put the camera, transmitter, and batteries inside of my carry on luggage......

I pack a few pieces of clothing around the inspire and that is all I did.

WORKED PERFECT!!!!

Kirk
How many batteries did you carry and were they TB47's or 48's? Thanks for sharing your experiences. I travel a lot and have been shipping gear rather than flying with it. Takes a long time and is a pain to ground ship if you don't have to

How many batteries did you carry and were they TB47's or 48's? Thanks for sharing your experiences. I travel a lot and have been shipping gear rather than flying with it. Takes a long time and is a pain to ground ship if you don't have to

So sorry for the delay....I have been "FLYING HOME" all day today.

I brought 4 TB48 batteries....I read somewhere that you can bring 2 per person....I was flying with my family, a total of 4 people....so, I reasoned that if they said something I would explain that we each had 1 battery.

I did buy the new GoProfessional Case...and frankly, I'm going to travel with that from now on....the iFly Walmart Case works great...but it is a bit of a hassle!

Kirk

Thanks! I heard the TB48's were too big to go in hand checked bags but it's good to hear you flew with them 4 cells are enough to get by with for sure. Nice shots and videos

I've flown in 30+ mph winds and achieved speeds of 84mph. Use atti mode for faster top speed in order to counter the winds. It won't be able to hold position against a high cross wind since sideways speed is lower than forward. Always fly into the wind first to ensure ability to return to landing zone as speed against a strong wind will be severely reduced. Chances of flipping are virtually nil.

Agreed with most of the posts above, flips aren't the issue, rather fighting back home after flying downwind. Figuring out remaining power needed can be dodgy. I've flown around sail and powerboats a fair bit and always spend a battery seeing what the conditions are aloft and how that will effect my safe flight zone. Over water, there is no room for miscalculating what it'll take to get you back to home or a safe landing spot. SultanGris is also on the money about facing into the wind... Forward and rearward flight seem much stronger to me.

I've flown in 30+ mph winds and achieved speeds of 84mph. Use atti mode for faster top speed in order to counter the winds. It won't be able to hold position against a high cross wind since sideways speed is lower than forward. Always fly into the wind first to ensure ability to return to landing zone as speed against a strong wind will be severely reduced. Chances of flipping are virtually nil.

Thank you for this info!! My biggest issue was flipping it. The wind gusts were crazy!!! I'm from south Louisiana and I've experienced strong wind in hurricanes before! And this wind was every bit as strong. The direction I wanted to fly was straight up wind, towards the cliffs. Getting home was not my concern! I honestly think I could have gotten to 80+ mph with the wind and that was coming home. But I never did it. I was just too afraid to get out over the ocean and one of those gusts would flip it and I would have been sick!!!

Thanks for the info! Next time I'll try it!

Kirk

Last edited:
Reactions: jon b
Thank you for this info!! My biggest issue was flipping it. The wind gusts were crazy!!! I'm from south Louisiana and I've experienced strong wind in hurricanes before! And this wind was every bit as strong. The direction I wanted to fly was straight up wind, towards the cliffs. Getting home was not my concern! I honestly think I could have gotten to 80+ mph with the wind and that was coming home. But I never did it. I was jus too afraid to get out over the ocean and one of this gusts would flip it and I would have been sick!!!

Kirk
Just leave plenty of juice in your packs to get back home!

Thank you for this info!! My biggest issue was flipping it. The wind gusts were crazy!!! I'm from south Louisiana and I've experienced strong wind in hurricanes before! And this wind was every bit as strong. The direction I wanted to fly was straight up wind, towards the cliffs. Getting home was not my concern! I honestly think I could have gotten to 80+ mph with the wind and that was coming home. But I never did it. I was just too afraid to get out over the ocean and one of those gusts would flip it and I would have been sick!!!

Kirk
Fly against the wind first and don't go that fast very for too long till you get used to it, you cover ground fast at 80+ and if you fly with the wind first you'll have a hard time getting back before running out of power if you go too far.

My very bad experience in high winds: the battery over-heated counteracting the wind, it eventually expanded and cut the power altogether at 50+ feet, leaving my Inspire 1 in pieces on the ground.

I only fly on calm days, or for very short periods of time (with another Inspire 1) with only slightly breezy days.

My very bad experience in high winds: the battery over-heated counteracting the wind, it eventually expanded and cut the power altogether at 50+ feet, leaving my Inspire 1 in pieces on the ground.

I only fly on calm days, or for very short periods of time (with another Inspire 1) with only slightly breezy days.
What makes you think that it overheated? I've flown in wind multiple times with no problems and at full throttle power for the duration of the battery with no issues either. Battery overheating during flight is very unlikely unless it's 120 ambient temp perhaps, all my flights at full draw were in 80 or less temps. Sounds more like the self discharge battery bug cutting out for no reason. Was battery at 100% before you took off?

What makes you think that it overheated? I've flown in wind multiple times with no problems and at full throttle power for the duration of the battery with no issues either. Battery overheating during flight is very unlikely unless it's 120 ambient temp perhaps, all my flights at full draw were in 80 or less temps. Sounds more like the self discharge battery bug cutting out for no reason. Was battery at 100% before you took off?

Nope. Mike Rubin is right. At sustained max power it will overheat. You can monitor power drain in GO and you will see voltage indicator go Amber then red as it struggles on all 4 motors maxed against the wind. The batteries don't like doing that for long.

We've run tests in up to sustained 40mph and gusting 55mph. Nose-into-wind and it will hold station...just...but you will cook it pretty quickly. There is a reason DJI peg max wind at 20mph! Sideways you stand no chance of holding station, even at full throttle. Never shown any signs of flipping. As commented above, you'd need a highly turbulent airflow for that...an inner city or complex cliff, perhaps. We were testing out at sea and near cliffs and our only issue was powerful up and down drafts that could cause big altitude changes, but it's a multi rotor, so it should be fine with that.

The best option is to not fly in anything over 20mph, but if you happen to find yourself in that situation then take note of your surroundings and of the laws of physics. Also, fly in ATTI. GPS is going to waste an inordinate amount of power trying to hold attitude against the wind and there is no way you are going to be getting any good stationary-point shots in it, so fly in ATTI with an efficient flight path that works with the wind. The wind is weakest closest to the surface and even in very strong winds you still retain altitude control, so if you are struggling then drop it to the floor and recover, take shelter behind a hill, cliff, tree, building...anything you can find (we've even used troughs between waves)...and recover. If all else fails then fly with the wind on a vector that will get you to a safe point to land / ditch, even if that means a long walk for you afterwards.

Of course you shouldn't (and commercially couldn't) but if you ever do fly in 30mph + winds for more than a couple of minutes then don't be surprised if it overheats and falls out of sky!

Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done.

Reactions: kilrah01
Nope. Mike Rubin is right. At sustained max power it will overheat. You can monitor power drain in GO and you will see voltage indicator go Amber then red as it struggles on all 4 motors maxed against the wind. The batteries don't like doing that for long.

We've run tests in up to sustained 40mph and gusting 55mph. Nose-into-wind and it will hold station...just...but you will cook it pretty quickly. There is a reason DJI peg max wind at 20mph! Sideways you stand no chance of holding station, even at full throttle. Never shown any signs of flipping. As commented above, you'd need a highly turbulent airflow for that...an inner city or complex cliff, perhaps. We were testing out at sea and near cliffs and our only issue was powerful up and down drafts that could cause big altitude changes, but it's a multi rotor, so it should be fine with that.

The best option is to not fly in anything over 20mph, but if you happen to find yourself in that situation then take note of your surroundings and of the laws of physics. Also, fly in ATTI. GPS is going to waste an inordinate amount of power trying to hold attitude against the wind and there is no way you are going to be getting any good stationary-point shots in it, so fly in ATTI with an efficient flight path that works with the wind. The wind is weakest closest to the surface and even in very strong winds you still retain altitude control, so if you are struggling then drop it to the floor and recover, take shelter behind a hill, cliff, tree, building...anything you can find (we've even used troughs between waves)...and recover. If all else fails then fly with the wind on a vector that will get you to a safe point to land / ditch, even if that means a long walk for you afterwards.

Of course you shouldn't (and commercially couldn't) but if you ever do fly in 30mph + winds for more than a couple of minutes then don't be surprised if it overheats and falls out of sky!

Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done.
Im not saying i dont think its possible give the right conditions, im just saying in my personal experience ive never had an issue and I fly at max speed/against wind quite often. Ive even flown at max speed around 60-65mph while following it with my truck for entire batteries and ended up covering 10.7 miles and had no overheating issues which is why im skeptical of his problem being overheating and asking for more details, though as i said before the majority of my flights are around 70-80 degree outside ambient temps. The batteries are never noticeably hotter to the touch than they are when flying slower and ive never had any battery problems when full out for the duration of the battery. However I havent checked actual battery temp in the app for those two different flight scenarios, ill have to do that sometime in the future to see if theres much difference. If hes doing so when its 100+ degrees outside i could see how it might possibly be a problem, which is why i was curious what the temp was when he had the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84