Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Extremely High Wind? What to do?

Our tests were all around 60-70 degrees and the two main issues were excessive battery draw and heating of escs / motors. We've not seen a battery fail in flight, though. On high gusting wind flights we have seen over temp error triggered on one occasion, but this is far more likely due to the fact that it was gusting and turbulent flow then the average wind speed being high. Like you, we've never even come close in normal operational use, so I agree that in normal flight conditions you shouldn't ever see this.

I'm in Maui, Hawaii this week and I did bring my Inspire 1.....I'm from South Louisiana and HIGH WIND for us is about 20 MPH.....

Yesterday, I was wanting some awesome footage of the cliffs and rocks, but the Trade Winds was really kicking!! I estimate at least 40 MPH.....you could not just stand up....it would blow you over....I took off and quickly just landed.....I was so afraid of that wind flipping the Inspire 1 over and crashing.....YOU CRASH on these rocks you just leave it there....there is NO FIXING THAT KIND OF CRASH!!!!

So, I guess my question is.....is it possible to flip the inspire 1? Could the wind be so strong that it would do that? OR would it just push it......

My reasoning for NOT FLYING was that the fastest I have ever been able to fly my Inspire 1 was about 38 MPH.....so.....if I were to take off in a 40 MPH wind...seems to me that if I was down wind, I could never get it back.....that the strength of the wind would prevent me from being able to fly home.

Is that REASONABLE thinking????

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of problem?????

Kirk

My rule is for every hour i've logged, that't the wind speed i will fly in. 10hrs, constant 10mph winds, gusting is different and can require double the amount of flight time to know how handle lateral movement and sliding depending on which mode you're flying in... maybe to get smoother shots.

shooting close quarters or "inside" spaces open to wind and gusts requires a higher degree of attention and of course a 2nd controller and even a spotter if you're shooting a specific shot - to be repeated. :)

My rule is for every hour i've logged, that't the wind speed i will fly in. 10hrs, constant 10mph winds, gusting is different and can require double the amount of flight time to know how handle lateral movement and sliding depending on which mode you're flying in... maybe to get smoother shots.

shooting close quarters or "inside" spaces open to wind and gusts requires a higher degree of attention and of course a 2nd controller and even a spotter if you're shooting a specific shot - to be repeated. :)
What happens to your 'rule' when you get to 50 hours? Not a rule I would personally recommend.

Reactions: SultanGris
I have an issue with my inspire where it drifts a fair bit, especially yawing at slow speeds. Even going forwards with a mild side wind is a struggle to keep straight. Got a bit confused from the earlier posts but are there any settings I can change to help the inspire stay more locked on? I've done imu and compass calibrations all by the book but I did reduce the throttle down, rudder left and backward/left to from 40 to 30 in order to smooth out the controls a touch. The other settings are set as brake 90, attitude 100, yaw endpoint 150, gains are all at 100

It's a real PITA so any advice would be very welcome! Thanks

I have an issue with my inspire where it drifts a fair bit, especially yawing at slow speeds. Even going forwards with a mild side wind is a struggle to keep straight. Got a bit confused from the earlier posts but are there any settings I can change to help the inspire stay more locked on? I've done imu and compass calibrations all by the book but I did reduce the throttle down, rudder left and backward/left to from 40 to 30 in order to smooth out the controls a touch. The other settings are set as brake 90, attitude 100, yaw endpoint 150, gains are all at 100

It's a real PITA so any advice would be very welcome! Thanks
Supposedly the next new firmware will fix these issues.

What happens to your 'rule' when you get to 50 hours? Not a rule I would personally recommend.

when i reached 50 hours, i realised everything i knew about flying in anything but a light breeze was absolutely nothing. my rule seemed effective when i began, and for the most part was... every hour i logged i experienced a little more about my capabilities and my short comings. today when i fly, i fly with the same enthusiasm and wonder as the first day i flew. next on my list, running as fast as a speeding train.

full

It doesn't like this!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa