Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Filming in Winter

If you're filming with Drones in winter. Battery Management is king. Using an Inspire 1, don't be with-out battery heaters! What else if everyone else using?

Testing the DJI Inspire 1 Battery Heater - ikopta
A few of these Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC)
and some old 3cell lipos.

Has the advantage of using zero power from the Inspire pack to warm them so your battery is still at 100% and nice and toasty.
Plus, you can set the temp you want to heat to depending on the ambient.

Reactions: Ikopta
I was just reading the Inspire 2 uses the two batteries for pre-heating in the cold, but also that the X5S camera has a heater in it too that holds it at 41 degrees. Didn't know the camera had a heater, maybe for defogging the lens or condensation on the sensor maybe?

Hi Editor,

Great stuff these heating bags. Maybe I will have two more for my hands! ;)

Seriously, i wanted to know: we can pout only one Inspire lipo in one bag, or two?

Hi Editor,

Great stuff these heating bags. Maybe I will have two more for my hands! ;)

Seriously, i wanted to know: we can pout only one Inspire lipo in one bag, or two?
Tried two but they just won't go.:(
However, in reality you just need to pop one in the bag and turn it on just before you start a flight. By the time you land, the one in the bag will be nice and toasty and up to temp. Then just repeat........

I have just bought a Battery Padded Cover on eBay to attach to my Inspire 1 Pro to keep the battery warm during cold weather flying. Just keep an eye on the battery temp. I also use a Battery Heater to pre-warm the batteries.

Area21
How's the safety.
Not to hot ?
These hand warmers are extremely safe. Once use only. Eco friendly to dispose of. They don't get mega hot but enough to keep the batteries sufficiently warm to not have any auto warnings of cold batteries and last for 10 hours. I have used them for years although our cold winter temperatures don't really fall much below 8 deg C.

Winter can get bitter cold up here. Wonder what the lowest recommend temp for an Inspire 2 is. Didn't see it just skimming the manual. Cool that the X5S has a heater. Wonder how cold that can take as well.

I think that most inexperienced drone pilots are unaware of how dangerous cold weather can be for a drone. It's not so much the temperature of the battery, although that is easily sorted with a battery heater, its the effect that the cold can have on the airframe, mechanisms and props. If the temperature is freezing at ground level then it is even colder with altitude and the chance of lubricants freezing are a very real possibility especially as the Inspire has no protection or covering against the cold. Also ice may form on the props and airframe at height and cause the drone to crash through the extra weight. My advice would be to not fly in conditions under 0 deg.C and only with caution. If it is imperative to fly then only for very short spells of a few minutes or less. It could be a very expensive mistake to make if you get it wrong.
I haven't tried it on a drone but a coating of WD40 on the airframe and props would help to prevent ice forming. It what we used in the military.

Reactions: rapakiri
Thank you for the info. It is not that important for me to fly in cold temps. It is good to have a guide line to follow. I live in Colorado so guess I will wait until spring.
Thanks again for the quick response.

These hand warmers are extremely safe. Once use only. Eco friendly to dispose of. They don't get mega hot but enough to keep the batteries sufficiently warm to not have any auto warnings of cold batteries and last for 10 hours. I have used them for years although our cold winter temperatures don't really fall much below 8 deg C.
Thanks for your reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianlara9389