Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Finally, Inspire 1 firmware/video feed issues explored in depth...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I finally made a video to illustrate (prove) that DJI is handicapping the Inspire 1's video feed in firmware version 1.10.xx. I didn't want this video to get buried deep in another thread, so I'm starting a new one. Despite the dubious production value, I believe this video should answer a lot of questions...maybe raise a few more.

Please feel free to share your comments, thoughts, and/or questions.

Regards,

Donnie Frank

Last edited:
I've been on 1.08 since purchase and have never felt the need to update as the aircraft is performing flawlessly.

The only thing I question is, as a commercial operator, does not having the latest NFZ data disadvantage me at all? I've been lucky enough to not require unlocking any zones so far and haven't really interacted with geo etc. Do the latest updates make this easier/allow flight in areas that you cannot fly at on 1.08?

Reactions: Ed Araquel
I've been on 1.08 since purchase and have never felt the need to update as the aircraft is performing flawlessly.

The only thing I question is, as a commercial operator, does not having the latest NFZ data disadvantage me at all? I've been lucky enough to not require unlocking any zones so far and haven't really interacted with geo etc. Do the latest updates make this easier/allow flight in areas that you cannot fly at on 1.08?

v1.08 DOES have some geofencing and NFZ's. But it's restricted to Class B and Class C airspace. I see no reason to update. As a professional pilot, I understand the NAS I get the required permits ahead of time. Even if the Inspire didn't have NFZ's, I would be aware of my environment. I think the NFZ's are there for hobbyist consumers.

D

Last edited:
i am still on 1.4 on the AC and did also not update on remote as i see no need for it. the video feed is still a problem though for slave remote.

i am still on 1.4 on the AC and did also not update on remote as i see no need for it. the video feed is still a problem though for slave remote.

Subsequent versions addressed battery issues, controller issues, and on and on. If you read through the release notes, you will find that bug fixes (including major battery issues) stopped @ v1.8. I would reconsider updating. One bug that was fixed was the dreaded "battery self drain at 50% while in flight." It was that bug that caused a production company to crash their Inspire, lose the day's footage, and hire my company to retake everything. They were filming a Discovery Channel episode and lost the entire day's production because their cameraman thought he could just buy and Inspire 1 and just fly it.

Reactions: Phatzo
Thanks for that experiment! It confirms what I suspected too. That latest f/w basically eliminated my Xperia tablet from being used, which is a bummer cuz it had performed perfectly before. I'm flying now using a backup tablet & phone and it sucks *** with either one, but it is workable--barely.

I'm currently working in an unlocked NFZ (airport construction documentation) & am a little worried that changing f/w back will eliminate the unlock. I'm not excited about jumping thru hoops via days of Chinese-instruction-manual English emails again in the middle of a project, especially since the unlock is only available thru iOS (I had to borrow an iPhone to get it done last time). What are your thoughts? Will I lose the unlock?

Thanks again!

Where did you get the old FW version? I did some research but I couldn't find it on line.
Could you upload the bin file you used? that would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Massimo

Last edited:
Thanks for that experiment! It confirms what I suspected too. That latest f/w basically eliminated my Xperia tablet from being used, which is a bummer cuz it had performed perfectly before. I'm flying now using a backup tablet & phone and it sucks *** with either one, but it is workable--barely.

I'm currently working in an unlocked NFZ (airport construction documentation) & am a little worried that changing f/w back will eliminate the unlock. I'm not excited about jumping thru hoops via days of Chinese-instruction-manual English emails again in the middle of a project, especially since the unlock is only available thru iOS (I had to borrow an iPhone to get it done last time). What are your thoughts? Will I lose the unlock?

Thanks again!

The Unlock process has morphed a bit, so let me make sure we're on the same page. I recently did a mapping gig just West of the Albuquerque Sunport, which is Class C airspace. Around the airport lie TWO NFZ's, one nestled inside the other. If memory serves, the inner NFZ - the RED zone - was 1.2 miles (1NM) from the center-ish of the airport. Extending out another 2,000' was the orange zone. Using DJI's online application, I was able to unlock the orange zone ONLY on my bird, which is running v1.8.xx. Try as we may to fly inside the RED zone, geofencing kept us out. That said...

About a year ago, my business partner and I did another mapping job just North of the Albuquerque Sunport. At that time, he had a whole other version of the DJI Go app he had to run to unlock his bird. I *believe* that mapping gig was in that orange zone, NOT the RED zone.

My partner and I have both discussed this, as the possibility exists that we may do aerial runway inspections. But the DJI stuff seems to be locked out of the Red zone.

Are you in a Class C/Class B red zone?

Hey doods!

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I finally made a video to illustrate (prove) that DJI is handicapping the Inspire 1's video feed in firmware version 1.10.xx. I didn't want this video to get buried deep in another thread, so I'm starting a new one. Despite the dubious production value, I believe this video should answer a lot of questions...maybe raise a few more.

Please feel free to share your comments, thoughts, and/or questions.

Regards,

Donnie Frank

Watched your video & thank you as I have had similar issues with video feed on my Inspire Pro & X5 camera, just to help you next time, from what I have read the slave controller gets its signal from the master controller not the aircraft & when the update is completed the beeps/noises change form beep beep beep beep to beeeeeeeeep beep beep.

Subsequent versions addressed battery issues, controller issues, and on and on. If you read through the release notes, you will find that bug fixes (including major battery issues) stopped @ v1.8. I would reconsider updating. One bug that was fixed was the dreaded "battery self drain at 50% while in flight." It was that bug that caused a production company to crash their Inspire, lose the day's footage, and hire my company to retake everything. They were filming a Discovery Channel episode and lost the entire day's production because their cameraman thought he could just buy and Inspire 1 and just fly it.

thank you for the info. my AC works and has worked flawlessly (knock on wood) and i have done many jobs in the past two years.
no battery issues or other but the slave video signal. as i have read here with people struggling with FW updates some reported a slow down in max speed, worse wind stability and the list goes on and on... now we are at 1.11 sth and you can go further than 30m which apperantly is solved... bugs will always be there. i always fly with a 100% charged battery and never go past 30% discharge. i let them drain automatically but take caution from time to time by checking them to see charge level... i also make a risk assasment before flying considering if i can do the job asked for considering safety and if i feel it is too risky or dangerous i deny or not make that path of flight. most accidents happen because of pilot pre flight check error or not wnough skill in flying the darn thing or not having the knowlidge to asess and map the situation to determen if they can or can not do the task in question. my AC still flyes 70km/h is stable as a rock at 30km/h winds and works flawlessly which i hope will stay that way...
drone deploy also said that the FW has had issues by not showing the battery % during a mission, correct and i had the issue but the DJI system atill warns you and if you do not panic then you just land the bird and continue with a fresh 100% charged and mission is good.
cheers
my 2c

Heavens no. This is just a rural airport in class G, & once I got the unlock it hasn't been a problem except I have to fly from my phone since that's where the unlock code was sent. I just don't want to downgrade my f/w & find out my unlock went away.

Did you have any hassle getting your class C authorization/waiver for ABQ? It's been taking me weeks to get anything back, & that's for just class E surface.

The Unlock process has morphed a bit, so let me make sure we're on the same page. I recently did a mapping gig just West of the Albuquerque Sunport, which is Class C airspace. Around the airport lie TWO NFZ's, one nestled inside the other. If memory serves, the inner NFZ - the RED zone - was 1.2 miles (1NM) from the center-ish of the airport. Extending out another 2,000' was the orange zone. Using DJI's online application, I was able to unlock the orange zone ONLY on my bird, which is running v1.8.xx. Try as we may to fly inside the RED zone, geofencing kept us out. That said...

About a year ago, my business partner and I did another mapping job just North of the Albuquerque Sunport. At that time, he had a whole other version of the DJI Go app he had to run to unlock his bird. I *believe* that mapping gig was in that orange zone, NOT the RED zone.

My partner and I have both discussed this, as the possibility exists that we may do aerial runway inspections. But the DJI stuff seems to be locked out of the Red zone.

Just to be clear, I got one long-term unlock for the length of the project.That's why i don't want to lose it mid-project.

Great video Donnie.
Stupid question maybe, but why was it necessary to downgrade the controllers to 1.6? Couldn't you just leave them on 1.7? My bird is on 1.1.9.30, RC on 1.7.X.

I'm fully up to date on all firmware for my I1 Pro's. The Attached video was out to 1500ft with no RC or video problems in class c airspace (Canada). I checked the logs and the telemetry signal was 100% throughout the flight. NFZ was unlocked by checking the 2 permission boxes.

Great video Donnie.
Stupid question maybe, but why was it necessary to downgrade the controllers to 1.6? Couldn't you just leave them on 1.7? My bird is on 1.1.9.30, RC on 1.7.X.

I *believe* you have to downgrade the controller. BUT...that said, it is surely easy enough to test. If you would downgrade your bird first and report back your findings, that would be great!

Regards,

D

Just to be clear, I got one long-term unlock for the length of the project.That's why i don't want to lose it mid-project.

Curious. Does your unlock cover the entire airport? My unlock would NOT let me into the inner RED zone. And can you please tell me which class of airspace you are in? This is great information.

Regards,

D

I'm fully up to date on all firmware for my I1 Pro's. The Attached video was out to 1500ft with no RC or video problems in class c airspace (Canada). I checked the logs and the telemetry signal was 100% throughout the flight. NFZ was unlocked by checking the 2 permission boxes.

Which FW version to you have (bird and controller), and which class of airspace were you in?

Thanx!

D

Heavens no. This is just a rural airport in class G,

Class G is unregulated air space. You shouldn't need to unlock your bird for Class G. Did you mean Class D? Or Class E?

& once I got the unlock it hasn't been a problem except I have to fly from my phone since that's where the unlock code was sent.

Please double check and clarify which airspace you are flying in. It's my understanding that Class G is NOT regulated by the FAA.

I just don't want to downgrade my f/w & find out my unlock went away.

Did you have any hassle getting your class C authorization/waiver for ABQ?

My partner is the pilot and I am camera operator. So I didn't get the permits together, he did. That said...yes....it did take a while, but he and I have a VERY good relationship with our local FAA authorities. Turns out, they're REALLY nice people.

It's been taking me weeks to get anything back, & that's for just class E surface.

I think turn-around time was about a week, but I will check with my partner.

Regards,

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst