Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fireworks vs. Drones

Reaction score
I have read so many horror stories about people being fatally injured and/or hurt badly by fireworks. These stories appear year after year in print, and in main stream media. However, we do not hear "calls" to ban fireworks. Yet, if "someone" has a drone incident and now "everyone" wants to ban all drones because they are so dangerous. I admit there are some very irresponable people out there that own drones. However, I do believe the vast majority of drone owners are responsible pilots.

I don't have anything against the use of fireworks; my point is the general public cries "foul" when more than half of them don't know anything about drones. Drone can be safe when operated with care...

Yes! - And fireworks originate from China, so.............. DJI are going to start making fireworks.
They will fly off in the wrong direction, give out the wrong color sparklies and NOT explode!
However, this will be sorted in the next gunpowder release :p

Sorry............ Couldn't resist.

Yes! - And fireworks originate from China, so.............. DJI are going to start making fireworks.
They will fly off in the wrong direction, give out the wrong color sparklies and NOT explode!
However, this will be sorted in the next gunpowder release :p

Ouch! You are bad to the bone. ;)

Reactions: The Editor
Ouch! You are bad to the bone. ;)
This topic is rather ironic to me since I own a quad/drone and work for a fireworks production company seasonally.
There was some individual filming from a drone at our last independence day show. He asked permission from the police to film.
The police weren't sure what to do so they referred the question to us. The fellow was rather responsible so, we took the him to a empty football field about a hundred yards away. I instructed him on what the boundaries were and specifically told him that if he flies into our shooting area, the police wouldn't be be happy. He was very cooperative and stayed within the boundaries. I'm glad he spoke up and asked. Most townships and municipalities don't have specific rules on quads and drones other than flying them at public parks. Even then they have designated areas for RC aerials.
By the way, I have had more incidents with fireworks than with drones. Cheap Chinese fireworks.

Quote: By the way, I have had more incidents with fireworks than with drones. Cheap Chinese fireworks.
That's the point!!! Drones are safe in the right hands!!

There will always be "idiots" out there!
So there needs to be "a licensing system "for drones over 1 kg with boundaries" in which they are to be operated within; plus a mininium age.
Without this ...."stupid people will
Do stupid things..."
Perhaps insurance for those over 2kg should be compulsory .
The reality is drones can cause "serious injury in the wrong hands"...
Just as fireworks, chain saws , guns,cars, boats and explosives.

However, this will be sorted in the next gunpowder release [emoji14]

I literally laughed out loud and spat on my mobile phone screen after reading that!

LMFAO!

Reactions: DocOnTheSpot
Quote: By the way, I have had more incidents with fireworks than with drones. Cheap Chinese fireworks.
That's the point!!! Drones are safe in the right hands!!
Sure and they can charge you $500.00 for that license to fly! And $5000.00 a year for insurance. Why is it every time someone does something stupid, everyone else who is responsible have to pay for it!
(sorry this was to be on Doc On The Spot's post)

FYI if you get a $58 membership to the Academy of Model Aeronautics you are automatically insured for $2.5 mil...that includes UAVs. Just an FYI because liability is definitely a concern for me..you can not plan for the what ifs. http://www.modelaircraft.org

Full Membership Program

Dues:
  • Age 19-65 - $58
  • 65 & over - $48
  • Under 19 - Free or $15 with magazine
  • Additional family members - $30
Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.

FYI if you get a $58 membership to the Academy of Model Aeronautics you are automatically insured for $2.5 mil...that includes UAVs. Just an FYI because liability is definitely a concern for me..you can not plan for the what ifs. http://www.modelaircraft.org

Full Membership Program

Dues:
  • Age 19-65 - $58
  • 65 & over - $48
  • Under 19 - Free or $15 with magazine
  • Additional family members - $30
Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Is that insurance valid for anywhere or only when flying AMA approved sites/airfields.

People should understand that they would not be covered for any type of commercial flying or flying in a congested area (city/town etc).

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Is that insurance valid for anywhere or only when flying AMA approved sites/airfields.

People should understand that they would not be covered for any type of commercial flying or flying in a congested area (city/town etc).

It is valid flying anywhere. As long as flight is consistent with the AMA Safety Code, Also not for commercial purposes, hobby flyers only (this board seems to be 50/50 hobby vs Pro).

Last edited:
It is valid flying anywhere. As long as flight is consistent with the AMA Safety Code, Also not for commercial purposes, hobby flyers only (this board seems to be 50/50 hobby vs Pro).

Thank you for that clarification.
I just didn't want people to think they could purchase the insurance and think they would be covered for flying over cities, freeways, houses etc.

DCGOO is correct. In addition to the AMA Safety code there is the FAA regs as well. If anyone in this site is flying for commercial purposes they better dang well have their FAA Exemption 333 approved. Otherwise you are going to screw it up for the rest of us.

DCGOO is correct. In addition to the AMA Safety code there is the FAA regs as well. If anyone in this site is flying for commercial purposes they better dang well have their FAA Exemption 333 approved. Otherwise you are going to screw it up for the rest of us.

IIRC, the AMA Safety Code requires compliance with any other government imposed limits and rules, who or whatever they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips