Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware Lockout Question.

Reaction score
Guys,

Perhaps you could explain something for me? I've seen a lot of post saying that people have been 'forced' into updating the firmware before they were able to fly/arm the motors/take off etc.

There has also been posts saying that you basically get three days 'grace' period before the FW will lock you out until updating.

My question is: The Inspire IS NOT linked in any way to the internet. The TX IS NOT linked in any way to the internet. If your tablet/iPad is not 3g enabled and you have purposely denied access via wifi to the internet, how the hell can the Inspire check to see if there should be a firmware update? Obviously it can't so is it a case of the firmware will only allow a period of three days to pass without if 'checking back home' for any updates?

If this is the case than it makes the platform totally useless for remote locations shoots where cellular or broadband is non existent?

Thanks in advance.

I think its just that once the app is aware that there is an an update, it give you the 3 days to update. If none of the devices are ever connected to the internet then you can just keep flying forever on the same firmware.
At least that's how I think it works.

Raised this issue a long item ago and never got an answer, other than speculation that lockouts only occur with critical updates. I suspect that blocking the net is the way to go, but remember that you need to cache your maps before you cut off.

Not only would this be a problem for remote shoots, but it's a problem every time you leave your computer for any location. Even if it's 3 hours away. How would you download the bin file without a laptop or desktop? I don't know how to do it with our tablets. Don't think it's possible with IOS devices but could be wrong. This will force you to check for updates before every trip, big or small.

I simply hope we don't have any more "Critical" updates.

On a related note, don't understand why firmware upgrades can't be done through the app. DJI commented once that they've tried the app firmware upgrade, but couldn't get it to work.

Last edited:
I think its just that once the app is aware that there is an an update, it give you the 3 days to update. If none of the devices are ever connected to the internet then you can just keep flying forever on the same firmware.
At least that's how I think it works.

That's how I would think/hope it works.

It would simply be a case of caching the map of the area you are going to fly before firing up the DJI App, then turning off WiFi so the app cannot get to the internet.

Of course what none of us know is whether DJI has put a time limit on when ET (The Inspire) should phone home. It is possible that say after a month or 30 or 60 days or whatever the App will say "Please connect to the internet to check for updates".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44