Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FIRST ARREST FOR INTERFERING WITH FIRE FIGHTING AIRCRAFT

Interesting question "licensed pilot", the phraseology of your question seems to imply you think that I do approve of his behavior. How did you come to such a presumption?

Reactions: mtnmaddman
California man arrested for piloting drone over wildfire

"Berlant says authorities tracked down Wamser after he posted video from the drone on social media"
Apparently he is also a rocket scientist...

Dude got lucky, only a misdemeanor, probably just pay a fine.

CAL FIRE arrests hobby drone operator for interfering with firefight - sUAS News

148.2. Every person who willfully commits any of the following acts
at the burning of a building or at any other time and place where
any fireman or firemen or emergency rescue personnel are discharging
or attempting to discharge an official duty, is guilty of a
misdemeanor:

1. Resists or interferes with the lawful efforts of any fireman or
firemen or emergency rescue personnel in the discharge or attempt to
discharge an official duty.
2. Disobeys the lawful orders of any fireman or public officer.
3. Engages in any disorderly conduct which delays or prevents a
fire from being timely extinguished.
4. Forbids or prevents others from assisting in extinguishing a
fire or exhorts another person, as to whom he has no legal right or
obligation to protect or control, from assisting in extinguishing a
fire.

Here in Utah they've been fighting several wildfires and one, the Pine Valley Wildfire near St George Utah, has had firefighting operations halted about four times due to drone sightings. What kind of a-hole would do this four times knowing what the impact is and knowing there's no way he/she could post video without getting caught.

So, my guess is there may or may not have been any actual drone sightings and instead, the crew was told to 'keep an eye open for drones' and they are seeing drones in there sleep. Best guess is they are seeing Hawks or similar birds at a distance and jumping to conclusions.

But, I don't know this and it could be an a-hole that doesn't get it or doesn't care -- if so I hope they catch him and lock him up!

Brian

Reactions: mtnmaddman
Here in Utah they've been fighting several wildfires and one, the Pine Valley Wildfire near St George Utah, has had firefighting operations halted about four times due to drone sightings. What kind of a-hole would do this four times knowing what the impact is and knowing there's no way he/she could post video without getting caught.

So, my guess is there may or may not have been any actual drone sightings and instead, the crew was told to 'keep an eye open for drones' and they are seeing drones in there sleep. Best guess is they are seeing Hawks or similar birds at a distance and jumping to conclusions.

But, I don't know this and it could be an a-hole that doesn't get it or doesn't care -- if so I hope they catch him and lock him up!

Brian
Perhaps, but the Cali dumbass was no hawk...

I get that **** all the time hey I saw you flying around last night. Sorry I wasn't home. There's many out there un registered

I don't condone interference of Fire or EMS operations. However, I would like to know the facts first before judging. What did the drone do that forced them to stop operations? Did it get in the way? Did it fly into a flight path? Did someone simply see it and freak out? I only ask because anyone in this forum knows that people outside of our industry think they know when a drone is causing problems when operations may be perfectly safe and operating in an area it is legally allowed to. I linked onto the article....and as usual...bad journalism leaving important information like this out. Let's get better info so when others ask us about it, we can give good information out.

SFGATE article useless. sUAS better but still leaving useful information out.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
I don't condone interference of Fire or EMS operations. However, I would like to know the facts first before judging. What did the drone do that forced them to stop operations? Did it get in the way? Did it fly into a flight path? Did someone simply see it and freak out? I only ask because anyone in this forum knows that people outside of our industry think they know when a drone is causing problems when operations may be perfectly safe and operating in an area it is legally allowed to. I linked onto the article....and as usual...bad journalism leaving important information like this out. Let's get better info so when others ask us about it, we can give good information out.

"Let's get better info so when others ask us about it, we can give good information out"

Are you serious? No one here is, as far as I can tell, the reporter on this story. All anyone can do is post the link on what appears to be a relevant UAV story, under NEWS. I don't think anything short of the police report would meet your standards. And no one is asking anyone to "judge." It's just a story, read it or don't. The only persons who will( need) have all the facts are the judge, in court.
I think the headline says it all "California man arrested for piloting drone over wildfire"

wow dude, you really scare me. My standards are called due process. Something you might need someday if you pull a "dumbass" stunt. Judging? Are you serious? Take a look at your thread. You called the guy a dumbass. You may not realize it but that's judging without the facts. You know nothing about what happened. You yourself said its a report to read. Read it. But don't go editorializing without the facts. Is that too hard? Other blogs used other adjectives. My point is this. I have worked with EMS and Fire for nearly 20 years. I love them and their dedication. Some are sharp as a tack and others.....well not so much. I've seen Fire operations really overreact and other times keep a level head. For the guy arrested, better information will help us commercially flying when others don't understand the rules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Questglt