Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First cautious steps...

Reaction score
After few hours of simulator sessions in various fly modes I'm trying to become familiar with real Inspire 1 Pro response to stick movements before maiden trip ... I've anchored legs to 4 bricks (using cable ties), set everything on a table and prepared for manual take-off. I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that the entire system is able to perform manual take-off. CSC command worked as expected and I start moving throttle stick very, very slowly up. And it scared me to death, because props start rotating full throttle almost immediately after passing a certain point, very close to the beginning of the movement. It was like the machine is trying to take rapidly off despite my intent to do it manually in gentle manner. Bricks did the job, but anything else on the table was blown away before panic CSC ...

Before this one only and unsuccessful attempt to start the machine, I did the same with no props attached just to explore Gain & Expo Tuning feature in DJI Go. There I've discovered insignificant - if any at all - results of curvature tweaking: motors will start rotating with full speed very quickly almost immediately after the beginning of even the most subtle throttle stick movement up. For the remaining 80-75% of throttle travel there is no difference in RPM. Apparently the same is happening to motors with props attached ...

I must confess that I have absolutely no previous experience with RC flying devices, or any RC devices whatsoever. What am I missing here?

After few hours of simulator sessions in various fly modes I'm trying to become familiar with real Inspire 1 Pro response to stick movements before maiden trip ... I've anchored legs to 4 bricks (using cable ties), set everything on a table and prepared for manual take-off. I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that the entire system is able to perform manual take-off. CSC command worked as expected and I start moving throttle stick very, very slowly up. And it scared me to death, because props start rotating full throttle almost immediately after passing a certain point, very close to the beginning of the movement. It was like the machine is trying to take rapidly off despite my intent to do it manually in gentle manner. Bricks did the job, but anything else on the table was blown away before panic CSC ...

Before this one only and unsuccessful attempt to start the machine, I did the same with no props attached just to explore Gain & Expo Tuning feature in DJI Go. There I've discovered insignificant - if any at all - results of curvature tweaking: motors will start rotating with full speed very quickly almost immediately after the beginning of even the most subtle throttle stick movement up. For the remaining 80-75% of throttle travel there is no difference in RPM. Apparently the same is happening to motors with props attached ...

I must confess that I have absolutely no previous experience with RC flying devices, or any RC devices whatsoever. What am I missing here?
Do NOT anchor down the Inspire (or any multirotor) and expect it to behave in a gentle fashion.
With flight controllers you are not flying the aircraft - the controller is.
When you perform a throttle up the aircraft is expecting to take off. When it senses it has not moved due to no data change from its internal gyros, accelerometers and barometer it will think it has to try harder to get movement, this causes the increase in throttle with no input from you.
The same with no props attached - the aircraft is expecting movement and when it doesn't get any it will try harder. It still doesn't move so it tries harder still. This is called integral wind up and occurs in feedback loop systems.

Just go fly - the Inspire is very stable.

Additionally do not mess with expo or gains unless you know what they are doing and the effect they will have. Changing them will alter the flight characteristics of the aircraft.

Finally, as per my advice on these forums, before you take off always check your IMU sensor values (under sensor section in the app) and providing they are within acceptable range you are good to go.
Have a careful read through some of the posts on this forum - you will see why it is NOT advisable to compass calibrate every flight and what acceptable IMU values are etc.

Enjoy the Inspire. :)

Reactions: ppdrone and Figbar
Man.
1st of don't tie it down you'll only upset it!
Get a preflight check list and follow it
Suggest not attaching the camera for a while or perhaps get an X3 camera and some prop guards for a start.
I can almost guarantee you will at some stage crash!
Find a nice big open space not near water or trees.
Calibrate the compass. And set your return home altitude keeping in mind that if there's trees or other in that altitude you'll collect them. And not so hi it will require all our battery to get home. Do it twice for your own benefit,
Fly in full gps mode, and auto take off will have you hovering at 1500mm that's all. Now your flying. They are the easiest of all machines to fly provided you don't get complacent now fly away a short distance then fly back facing you. Now it's opposite of left and right coming at you. No rapid movements all slow mo. Not like fishing, " a jerk on one end and a fish on the other" no Jerks. Stay calm. Don't ever show off. Because they'll all piss them selves when you crash it. If your unsure hit return home. Really it is easy to fly just go easy

Makes perfect sense, silly me ... And I was so proud of my anchoring safety device, believe or not. Thank you!

Well, I learned my lesson, luckily without damaging 5K worth machine ... And I was sure I know most of everything (in theory, of course) about multi-copters and telemetry! Silly me ...

As for your tips about flying this marvel of technology ... Yes, I've done my home work and read all available DJI instructions (not to many, you must agree), manuals etc., and tons of information from vast Internet space, before finally draining my Visa. Yet - with all my careful, cautious and hesitant approach - I'm sure I will make some mistake sooner or later. Hopefully fixable mistake ...

Thank you.

Do NOT anchor down the Inspire (or any multirotor) and expect it to behave in a gentle fashion.
With flight controllers you are not flying the aircraft - the controller is.
When you perform a throttle up the aircraft is expecting to take off. When it senses it has not moved due to no data change from its internal gyros, accelerometers and barometer it will think it has to try harder to get movement, this causes the increase in throttle with no input from you.
The same with no props attached - the aircraft is expecting movement and when it doesn't get any it will try harder. It still doesn't move so it tries harder still. This is called integral wind up and occurs in feedback loop systems.

Just go fly - the Inspire is very stable.

Additionally do not mess with expo or gains unless you know what they are doing and the effect they will have. Changing them will alter the flight characteristics of the aircraft.

Finally, as per my advice on these forums, before you take off always check your IMU sensor values (under sensor section in the app) and providing they are within acceptable range you are good to go.
Have a careful read through some of the posts on this forum - you will see why it is NOT advisable to compass calibrate every flight and what acceptable IMU values are etc.

Enjoy the Inspire. :)
Very thoughtful response!

Reactions: AndrewH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207