Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First chargeable job. Help.plz

Reaction score
Hi all.
I now have my PFCO and am all legal to start earning money in the UK with my Inspire and Mavic.
I have my first job lined up and its some aerial photos of a cemetery for a local council.
Now...
It it just within an International Airport NFZ but I know how to sort all that out with ATC and DJI unlocking etc and its no where near flight/takeoff routes etc.
My question really is what on earth should I be charging??? I guess I shall be there for an hour or so. Obviously pre site and on site planning and RMA etc. Ill be taking probay around 20 still photos but shall edit 7 or 8 as that's all that's needed to provode them with a plan of the grave placement etc. I was thinking somewhere around the £350 mark but don't want to mug myself off or vice versa!.
I would really appreciate some comments from experienced operators on what I should do.
Look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks.
Dave

Hi all.
I now have my PFCO and am all legal to start earning money in the UK with my Inspire and Mavic.
I have my first job lined up and its some aerial photos of a cemetery for a local council.
Now...
It it just within an International Airport NFZ but I know how to sort all that out with ATC and DJI unlocking etc and its no where near flight/takeoff routes etc.
My question really is what on earth should I be charging??? I guess I shall be there for an hour or so. Obviously pre site and on site planning and RMA etc. Ill be taking probay around 20 still photos but shall edit 7 or 8 as that's all that's needed to provode them with a plan of the grave placement etc. I was thinking somewhere around the £350 mark but don't want to mug myself off or vice versa!.
I would really appreciate some comments from experienced operators on what I should do.
Thanks.
Dave
Congratulations on your first paying job however, please have a search on the forum as this subject has been covered over and over again.
How much does an aerial photographer cost?
What to charge for proffesional aerial services?
UK - Day Rates to Charge
USA - What are your aerial rates for hire?
Rates?

Hi all.
Now...
Thanks.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Obviously all the client sees is you on site for an hour or so and you probably want to consider if there could be ongoing work when pricing this one so make sure the client understands what's involved. I tend to charge on the basis of a half day or full day and one, two, three people etc. but planning and paperwork is included in those rates. If a pre-site visit is required that will be charged extra. I expect your ops manual states you must have an observer and if the cemetery is open to the public when filming do you need additional marshalls? If so are you funding these or is the client supplying them?

Rates seem to vary enormously looking at websites but if you can justify spending half a day then I think £300 or so is reasonable but I suggest you agree this in advance. Your client probably uses professional photographers on a regular basis and so this is what they'll be comparing against. You can always offer an hourly rate alongside as an alternative for the client. I tend to charge around £500 for up to 8hrs on site (£300 for 4 hrs), for me only plus equipment, but have charged up to £800 when it's been a long and difficult one. This seems about right as I lose some jobs on price but am competitive on others though it's not a full time job for me so I'm very happy at those rates. So long as you're reasonable it's more about building client relationships than being a few £ out either way.

By the way I got to shoot in a restricted zone last weekend (a major UK airport during non-operating hours). DJI sorted it within 24hrs and the unlock worked fine. Just make sure you use decimal coordinates for your location, not DMS as the numbers differ. This site is useful: GPS coordinate converter

Simon

Hi Dave,

Obviously all the client sees is you on site for an hour or so and you probably want to consider if there could be ongoing work when pricing this one so make sure the client understands what's involved. I tend to charge on the basis of a half day or full day and one, two, three people etc. but planning and paperwork is included in those rates. If a pre-site visit is required that will be charged extra. I expect your ops manual states you must have an observer and if the cemetery is open to the public when filming do you need additional marshalls? If so are you funding these or is the client supplying them?

Rates seem to vary enormously looking at websites but if you can justify spending half a day then I think £300 or so is reasonable but I suggest you agree this in advance. Your client probably uses professional photographers on a regular basis and so this is what they'll be comparing against. You can always offer an hourly rate alongside as an alternative for the client. I tend to charge around £500 for up to 8hrs on site (£300 for 4 hrs), for me only plus equipment, but have charged up to £800 when it's been a long and difficult one. This seems about right as I lose some jobs on price but am competitive on others though it's not a full time job for me so I'm very happy at those rates. So long as you're reasonable it's more about building client relationships than being a few £ out either way.

By the way I got to shoot in a restricted zone last weekend (a major UK airport during non-operating hours). DJI sorted it within 24hrs and the unlock worked fine. Just make sure you use decimal coordinates for your location, not DMS as the numbers differ. This site is useful: GPS coordinate converter

Simon
Hi Simon.
Thanks for that.
I shall stick to what I initially thought. I've bee working for the council Involved for the last 3 years as I also run a tree surgery company so I don't think they'll sniff too much at £350. It's Stansted Airport im just inside the NFZ for
Shouldn't be a problem tho.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla