Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First Night Shoot - I2 - X7. Feedback welcomed

beautiful video...what do you think of the x7/lens setup?
Thanks mate. I absolutely love the X7 and lens kit. It's expensive for what it is, but you just can't get results like this unless you send up a full rig on an M200 or the like. My only gripe is that often when you land and change out a lens, all the camera setting reset to default. It's a bit annoying and I'm not sure why given that I've calibrated each lens, set up the profiles etc. Running fastest firmware. Seems odd to me. Other than that, I'm astounded at the results at night.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hi all. Completed my first night shoot with the I2 / X7 using 16mm and 50mm lenses in Prores 4444 at 25fps (Australian format)

Ground shots filmed
With a Canon C70 in CLog2

Feedback welcomed
Nice color match and use of focus on the ground shots. I notice the darks are very deep. I assume this was by choice, yes? To create greater sense of contrast, yes?

Very nicely done.

D

Reactions: Reuben
Nice color match and use of focus on the ground shots. I notice the darks are very deep. I assume this was by choice, yes? To create greater sense of contrast, yes?

Very nicely done.

yes that’s right. Wanted the contrast to be high in order to help the lit areas stand out more particularly the purple/pink lighting on the buildings and landmarks for the vigil. One of the spots (the trees) was unfortunately blue but most were the correct lighting.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hi all. Completed my first night shoot with the I2 / X7 using 16mm and 50mm lenses in Prores 4444 at 25fps (Australian format)

Ground shots filmed
With a Canon C70 in CLog2

Feedback welcomed
I like it. The color and all other visual aspects of the videos have great consistency which is not easy to achieve in such variety of shots. Maybe some of the powerplants cooling tower footages could be a bit lighter but that is just me nitpicking. Out of interest how hard was to get the waiver from CASA to fly at night and over some of the Melbourne's most prominent landmarks?

I like it. The color and all other visual aspects of the videos have great consistency which is not easy to achieve in such variety of shots. Maybe some of the powerplants cooling tower footages could be a bit lighter but that is just me nitpicking. Out of interest how hard was to get the waiver from CASA to fly at night and over some of the Melbourne's most prominent landmarks?
You’ve got a great eye. The power plant shots were the only shots I didn’t take. Another camera person sent them to me to be included in the final edit. Most likely 8bit as there wasn’t much latitude. (Oh and that Ferris wheel was a portrait photo that I had to photoshop and correct)
In Australia you automatically have the night waiver provided you are fully licensed with what’s called a RePL (individual remote pilots license) an AROC (radio license) and the hardest to get a REOC (remote operators certificate - you can employ pilots and have insurance with this certification). During the covid lockdown here in australia (the really long lockdown here in Melbourne) I decided to get all this certification. Cost around $5k and took months. With all these licenses you can fly at night provided you follow your operations manuals with all that’s needed for night flying:
Lit landing area, leds on always during flight, spotter, min 7 satellites, no rain or nearby storms etc.
To fly in the CBD I needed to get a permit and submit a flight plan etc. so all in all there’s a heap of work to do before you can legally fly at night in Australia. But totally worth it

You’ve got a great eye. The power plant shots were the only shots I didn’t take. Another camera person sent them to me to be included in the final edit. Most likely 8bit as there wasn’t much latitude. (Oh and that Ferris wheel was a portrait photo that I had to photoshop and correct)
In Australia you automatically have the night waiver provided you are fully licensed with what’s called a RePL (individual remote pilots license) an AROC (radio license) and the hardest to get a REOC (remote operators certificate - you can employ pilots and have insurance with this certification). During the covid lockdown here in australia (the really long lockdown here in Melbourne) I decided to get all this certification. Cost around $5k and took months. With all these licenses you can fly at night provided you follow your operations manuals with all that’s needed for night flying:
Lit landing area, leds on always during flight, spotter, min 7 satellites, no rain or nearby storms etc.
To fly in the CBD I needed to get a permit and submit a flight plan etc. so all in all there’s a heap of work to do before you can legally fly at night in Australia. But totally worth i

To fly in the CBD I needed to get a permit and submit a flight plan etc. so all in all there’s a heap of work to do before you can legally fly at night in Australia. But totally worth it
Thank you for your reply. I was mostly curious about how hard was to get the permit to fly in the city and who issues such permits. Is it City Council or CASA?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I was mostly curious about how hard was to get the permit to fly in the city and who issues such permits. Is it City Council or CASA?
In this case it’s the city council. The difficulty with this shoot was that it fell over three councils. Some require you to apply for permits, some don’t. And of course if you are near a HLS you have to limit your height and monitor radio. CASA permission is required when flying within 3nm of a towered airport. It’s not easy to get and costs $800 to apply whether approved or not

In this case it’s the city council. The difficulty with this shoot was that it fell over three councils. Some require you to apply for permits, some don’t. And of course if you are near a HLS you have to limit your height and monitor radio. CASA permission is required when flying within 3nm of a towered airport. It’s not easy to get and costs $800 to apply whether approved or not
Thanks again for your reply.

Ha, nice of you to say "Feedback Welcomed" as you are clearly no amateur. Beautifully, done with perfect transitions, juxtapositions, rack focus, dissolves, timing, etc,. Excellent post production. Thanks for sharing this and your modesty is endearing. You are obviously very good at what you do.

Ha, nice of you to say "Feedback Welcomed" as you are clearly no amateur. Beautifully, done with perfect transitions, juxtapositions, rack focus, dissolves, timing, etc,. Excellent post production. Thanks for sharing this and your modesty is endearing. You are obviously very good at what you do.
Thanks for your kind words buddy. I’m not an amateur, but feedback is always welcomed or you don’t grow. Only just got the I2 so if there’s anything I can do better with my drone work or settings etc........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clubthirteen