Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

fly away

Reaction score
Was able to get it back and land it but it fought me the entire time. Return to home did not work.
Firmware is updated and has flown a few times since with no problems.

Hey aerial NJ. .
Welcome to inspirepilots.com. .
I see you're relatively new to the forum so I wanted to give you a shout out...
God job wrestling her back home!!
It's hard to say what happened, but luckily your i1 didnt cause any damage or injury to anyone. .
My advice would be to use a screen recoding device on every flight and install a gps tracker and a marco polo. .
If your rth didn't work and it took off in the wrong direction I would guess you had a bad compass calibration. .
Did you check your mod values before take off??
Until all pilots start using screen recoding devices videos like this are little help ..
If we had every crazy flight on video with flight data we could look for patterns and possibly learn how to avoid this..
turbo. .

Once again, 2nd thread with erratic flight behavior. And once again flight video shows close proximity to power lines, and not just regular power lines but high voltage power lines. There are multiple warnings against flying close to power lines in the manual and tutorial videos. I can't be the only one that reads instructions?

You may want to review your video again, there are multiple times when your bird is directly over power lines. Copied from the Inspire quick start guide:

● Environmental Considerations:

The aircraft will return to the Home Point automatically in the following cases (all require a strong GPS signal).
Smart RTH: When you press the RTH button on the remote controller or in the App. Low Battery RTH: The DJI Pilot app notifies users to take action when the battery level falls to a specified threshold.

Failsafe RTH: When the remote controller signal is lost.

1. Do not fly in severe weather conditions. This includes high wind, snow, rain and smog.
2. Only fly in open areas. Tall buildings and steel structures may affect the accuracy of the onboard compass and GPS signal.
3. Avoid from obstacles, crowds, high voltage power lines, trees or bodies of water.
4. Minimize electromagnetic interference by not flying in areas with high levels of electromagnetism, including mobile phone base stations or radio transmission towers.

Once again, 2nd thread with erratic flight behavior. And once again flight video shows close proximity to power lines, and not just regular power lines but high voltage power lines. There are multiple warnings against flying close to power lines in the manual and tutorial videos. I can't be the only one that reads instructions?
Ya man. .
maybe, but probably not due to the fact I have a friend who uses his i1 for power line inspection where he flies about 5 feet away from the wires..
he hasn't reported anything except one time he lost signal while flying above the tower when it was between him and the i1..
turbo. ..

I have a masters in EE and I can assure you, if anyone or anything is directed to inspect any high power areas, the power is shut off. It is against the law for a power company to initiate an inspection of close proximity wether by man or machine without following safety protocol, and step one of that safety protocol is shutting the power off.

Reactions: Queen1944
Um, yeah. I won't comment much however what the manual states and what actually happens are two different things. My ladder also states don't stand on the top step. Does this mean I can't? Why do so many people on this site need to be such experts on everything? Pretty sure we've all read the manuals buddy. Real world experience speaks for itself, not what you read in a manual to cover a company from lawsuits. What's an ee degree? Expert everything? Or electrical engineer.

I have a masters in EE and I can assure you, if anyone or anything is directed to inspect any high power areas, the power is shut off. It is against the law for a power company to initiate an inspection of close proximity wether by man or machine without following safety protocol, and step one of that safety protocol is shutting the power off.
Wrong I'm afraid!
HV transmission line insulators are regularly pressure washed from helicopters with the power still flowing. Also hand inspections take place with 500,000vac still running through the HT lines.

Again, the OP's problem is compass related. The giveaway is the drifting horizon coupled with the looping movements and the start of TBE.
I wouldn't mind betting you calibrated your compass right before you took off or at least at the location you were flying if this was not your first battery of the day?

You got a bee in your bonnet mate?
*passes some loose change so that smarty pants can call someone who cares*

Last edited:
Again, the OP's problem is compass related. The giveaway is the drifting horizon coupled with the looping movements and the start of TBE.
I wouldn't mind betting you calibrated your compass right before you took off or at least at the location you were flying if this was not your first battery of the day?

Can we talk more about your last paragraph?

This is Not true. We inspect 500kv power lines live..... I work and inspect lines for a power company

@The Editor Why you were willing to bet on it. I calibrate each time I'm flying in a new place. quite often I check my calibration values in the app as well. Just curious on your theory that's all :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop