Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying a Mission planner route over the Sydney Opera House

Reaction score
Has anyone done a mission planner over this iconic structure?
If so, where did you take off from?
What time of day? I'm thinking 5 am with no one around should be better.
Mid summer down here of course.

Of course I'm trying to get thus done legally according to the CASA down here. I'm traveling from Canada and desperately want to get a quick shot of the House from my Inspire.
I'm thinking across the harbour in the morning when the sun rises.
Using FPV mission planner will tell me how long it will take and I should be able to do it with one battery, of course.
Not sure if I will get too close re regulation issues but perhaps a quick side to front shot from the harbour and then back to landing.
Wind is a big issue too! Not really sure if I want to chance it in high winds especially over the vast harbour.

Of course I'm trying to get thus done legally according to the CASA down here. I'm traveling from Canada and desperately want to get a quick shot of the House from my Inspire.
I'm thinking across the harbour in the morning when the sun rises.
Using FPV mission planner will tell me how long it will take and I should be able to do it with one battery, of course.
Not sure if I will get too close re regulation issues but perhaps a quick side to front shot from the harbour and then back to landing.
Wind is a big issue too! Not really sure if I want to chance it in high winds especially over the vast harbour.
Good luck with that one!
To my knowledge the harbour is a dedicated seaplane zone.
You would not be allowed to fly before sunrise (to get the sun coming up)
You would need two way radio licence - in contact with ATC.
CASA would need to pre authorise the flight plan.
Even if after all of the above was ratified, you would need to be in two way communication on the day with ATC and they can abort your mission.

Any Aus operators please feel free to chip in if I have missed anything or got anything wrong.

Reactions: Brendan
Guy did that with a Phantom and lost it. Crashed into harbour bridge, stopped train ......lucky he didn't cause an accident, it's congested.
The only way to do it quietly is to turn lights off and do it at night...but I wouldn't do it because I am a pro!

Any filming of the Harbour or Opera house requires approval - Google for the application form.

That is R405B and is restricted airspace. It is a heavily transited helicopter/seaplane route. This requires notification and lodging of an area approval/flight plan with Sydney Harbour control directly now (recent change for certified operators) and requires a lot of planning, notification and radio comms to make it happen. Opera house requires a filming permit as well(there is also Sydney Council). This is before you plan out how you will meet the conditions of your UOC on the ground in that area. In short, that is a really hot spot to fly, even for certified Australian operators. Non certified pilots can't legally fly there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth