Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying in Los Angeles?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am planning to take my IP1 X5 from Europe with me to Los Angeles next week, and I was just wondering it it's possible to get some aerial shots of Downtown LA legally without worrying about authorities? I was thinking about taking off in places like Vista Hermosa Park or McArthur Park. Is it possible, or banned? I just don't seem to find many videos from Downtown LA, so I figured it might be forbidden. Of course I am responsible pilot, and I know how to prepare safe flight. Actually, it would be good to know how it is in Los Angeles in general. Should I be worried about police? To be honest, I have no idea how it is in USA right now. I would appreciate any input on this one from local flyers!

Hello everyone!

I am planning to take my IP1 X5 from Europe with me to Los Angeles next week, and I was just wondering it it's possible to get some aerial shots of Downtown LA legally without worrying about authorities? I was thinking about taking off in places like Vista Hermosa Park or McArthur Park. Is it possible, or banned? I just don't seem to find many videos from Downtown LA, so I figured it might be forbidden. Of course I am responsible pilot, and I know how to prepare safe flight. Actually, it would be good to know how it is in Los Angeles in general. Should I be worried about police? To be honest, I have no idea how it is in USA right now. I would appreciate any input on this one from local flyers!
Aside from local rules about takeoff and landing sites, you must register your UAS. Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States on the FAA website. You cannot fly for commercial purposes of any kind unless you hold a Part 107 remote pilot certificate.

If you are planning to fly for recreational purposes, start here:

Fly for Fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Police anywhere really have no jurisdiction over how or if you fly your drone. They are not the governing body. The only time they can stop you is if you are seen flying recklessly.
Just get the proper FCC 107 or SFOC (Canada) first before you leave home.

Police anywhere really have no jurisdiction over how or if you fly your drone. They are not the governing body. The only time they can stop you is if you are seen flying recklessly.
They may have no jurisdiction on flying, but they most certainly have jurisdiction on takeoff and landing sites, and they can enforce other laws like trespass, privacy and harassment laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hey, guys. I'm looking at doing a job out in LA for commercial purposes next month. Is there any updates on laws or regs I need to know about or is it still takeoff/ landing from public property is prohibited? Thanks for your help.

The police relied on Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) section 63.44 (b) (8), a little-known statute dealing with city parks which states:

“Within the limits of any park or other City-owned Harbor Department designated and controlled property within the City of Los Angeles…No person shall land, release, take off or fly any balloon, except children toy balloons not inflated with any flammable material, helicopter, parakite, hang glider, aircraft or powered models thereof, except in areas specifically set aside therefor.”

Okay, I thought that's what you might be referencing.

For the record, it IS NOT illegal to takeoff or land from "any" public property at this time. LAMC 63.44 (b) (8) only applies to parks and the Port of LA. The people cited under that section were flying from Port of LA property.

It's best to operate from private property whenever possible however, as an backup, you can take off and land from any other public right of way that's outside of parks and the Port of LA.

Be careful in LA area. Each city is now writing their own rules.

Here is the code from the West Hollywood area: Chapter 9.30 Drones, Upiloted Aircraft and Model Aircraft
http://qcode.us/codes/westhollywood/view.php?topic=9-3-9_30&frames=on
Like this:
h. No person shall operate any model aircraft or civil UAS within the city to capture, record or transmit any visual image or audio recording of any person or private real property located in the city under circumstances in which the subject person or owner of the subject real property has a reasonable expectation of privacy (including, but not limited to, inside a private office and inside a hotel room). This provision is intended to supplement, rather than duplicate, the prohibition against trespassing into the air space above the land of another person in order to capture any type of visual image or sound recording of a person engaging in a private, personal, or familial activity in a manner that is offensive to a reasonable person, pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1708.8.

They do seem to apply the 107 rules to all hobbyists too like no night flights without a waiver, or above 400 feet, etc. if you read their code. For a while they were also assigning their own numbers to the UAV's too after one got tangled up in some power lines.

There is an agency called FilmLA who does most commercial film permits in the LA area and knows this stuff. It costs you about $660 to start a permit now.

Reactions: licensed pilot
So LAMC 63.44 (b) (8) does appear to ban flying in City Parks. However, I'm confused as to why airmap doesn't flag them. Schools show up, State Parks etc. So why are the City Parks left out?
Image 7-26-19 at 10.08 AM.jpg

As you can see for example, Warner Center Park has no shading like the schools and such to the left part of the capture. One of the schools flagged is no more and recently razed. Airmap recognized it as vacant, so it appears pretty accurate and up to date.

"Police anywhere really have no jurisdiction over how or if you fly your drone. " WRONG. If you are going to give advice, please ensure it is correct. In any city with a park restriction ordinance (take-off/land) the cops most certainly can issue a citation for violating a city ordinance. If you were referring to once you are up in the air, then you are right.
What does the Federal Communication Commission has to do with anything?

Reactions: marctronixx
All of these cities in LA are making their own rules. Just a few weeks ago i did an aerial shoot in Culver City for amazon studios. The production had to get a motion picture permit, plus a fire marshal and LEO on scene. The PD PIO had to personally run the request up the flag pole in the city managers office. You have to pay for both the LEO and Fire Marshall. The permit was not cheap.

Drone flying in la is still a young business and its taking some cites in la time to catch up.

Reactions: SaltyPilot
All of these cities in LA are making their own rules. Just a few weeks ago i did an aerial shoot in Culver City for amazon studios. The production had to get a motion picture permit, plus a fire marshal and LEO on scene. The PD PIO had to personally run the request up the flag pole in the city managers office. You have to pay for both the LEO and Fire Marshall. The permit was not cheap.

Drone flying in la is still a young business and its taking some cites in la time to catch up.

I am with this marctronixx as he is 100 percent correct. For any production drone use, all of the above needs to be approved with documents and all the people he wrote on set during the shoot. It is not inexpensive at all. I work in production and just 2 of the individuals above can cost $10k per day.

As this is a thread started back in 2016, I'm sure there are people who are searching and or wondering if they can just go recreation fly a aerial drone in Los Angeles. While the rules are still in the grey areas, if you are flying a DJI product, there is a chance you can not take off either way due to NFZ Zones. In the event you are considering of visiting Downtown Los Angeles and you have a unlocked quadcopter, you need to think before you take your quad up. Most of the buildings in Downtown Los Angeles have roof top helipads. I have shot many jobs even before all these "Push button drones" and the full scale helicopters including law enforcement, military etc, they literally fly at the roof top altitude. You have no idea when, where, what direction a heli may appear. When you her the heli, many occasions, your descend or climb will not be quick enough to dodge.

I live in Los Angeles and the best advice is, just don't fly in Downtown Los Angeles. It's not worth the risk for a cool shot.

Best Regards,
-Salty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont