Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying with adaptors from Infinity Hobby and T-motor 14 X 4,8 carbon proppellers

Here you can see my first flights with my new setup - now I have over 20 flights with it and are very pleased. My friend Sergio Kapusta made the video.

http://kapustas.com/QR_Adapters_for_Inspire1.mp4
I suppose my first question is - why? What's wrong with stock props?

My second question is what were your calculations for the additional loading factor for swinging 14x4.8 props.
The steeper pitch (and additional length) will draw additional current) - did you calculate for this to factor in:
  • Current at hover
  • Change in rpm at max climb out
  • Change in % of efficiency for a tuned system
  • Wasted power in Watts in altering prop chord
  • Increase in temperature of motors
  • Change in estimated rate of climb
I'm sure you have thought of all of these but thought I would mention it.

I'm using the 14 x 4.8 t-motor props and they work great. Similar flight times but more responsive and quieter. Motors don't run hot. I'm using the adapters in the picture below.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441063785.819211.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nils Blix
I suppose my first question is - why? What's wrong with stock props?

My second question is what were your calculations for the additional loading factor for swinging 14x4.8 props.
The steeper pitch (and additional length) will draw additional current) - did you calculate for this to factor in:
  • Current at hover
  • Change in rpm at max climb out
  • Change in % of efficiency for a tuned system
  • Wasted power in Watts in altering prop chord
  • Increase in temperature of motors
  • Change in estimated rate of climb
I'm sure you have thought of all of these but though I would mention it.
1. I am pleased with them and they are more quiet and responsive. There is nothing wrong with the stock propellers

The rest of your post I do not fully understand - I am flying and having fun - for me this is not about calculations but about enjoy my hobby. ( I am sure it is possible to have both my and your perspectives on it simultaneously )

Last edited:
Reactions: My Lucid Life
Why would you want "more responsive" on a camera platform?

It seems to be the trend to go with with the t-motor props yet nobody really has definitive information on the reasoning behind it. It's all just from "what they were told"

Not to be a naysayer or anything but if I was told $150 prop set would do all this stuff, my mind is already there but the evidence is not if that makes any sense.

It seems to be the trend to go with with the t-motor props yet nobody really has definitive information on the reasoning behind it. It's all just from "what they were told"

Not to be a naysayer or anything but if I was told $150 prop set would do all this stuff, my mind is already there but the evidence is not if that makes any sense.
Totally makes sense to me

You might be right - but my intention was to tell what I am pleased with and not to tell others what to use. For me it is normal to try out different things - it is part of the hobby for me. And yes the props are expencive

Last edited:
I use the 14" T-motor props and find the Aircraft more stable in the air, especially when just hovering. The set up I use weighs only 27 grams compared to 21 grams with the self lightning props and prop locks.

Just installed the T-Motor props and will test them the next days. The QR props made me jello problems though after tightening one screw which was under 0,5nm and replacing 2 props the jello disappeard. I want to see it the T-Motor are better - from the first touch they look much more stable then the DJI plastics. I also dont really trust the DJI mounting plates though they claim they are safe. There sure has not been a long term material test.

I more would suspect that DJI uses the plastic props only because they are much cheaper (about USD 2,- production cost in China) and they do less harm if an idiot touched it while running. Dont forget before FW 1.3 the motors did not stop when something blocked the props.

I just removed the QR props and hardware from my I1. My bird originally came with self tightening props and locks, I upgraded to the QR props when DJI sent them out as an UPGRADE.
When I left on my holidays I installed NEW DJI QR props before leaving on our road trip, I did a lot of flying and found that with continued use the props became loose on their mounting plates yet I could not see any signs of wear on the props or the hardware. I started changing props every time they loosened up. Eventually the new props I installed were loose right away (after 1 flight) so I changed the mounting hardware and the props would be tight again, so I tried a set of the QR props that had loosened up earlier and they were tight again but only lasted a few flights before they became loose again. I no longer trust them (the QR props) anymore and have gone back to the original self tightening props and prop locks. I went through 4 sets of QR props and two sets of hardware in 15 days with approx. 3 hrs in the air each day. Other then the props, "Rosie" flew like a pro not one issue :D I have a lot of editing to do now that we're home.

Now I'm seriously considering the T-Motor props. Now I guess I'll be following the forums to see how others make out with them.

AFAIK there is nothing wrong with a tiny loose in some of the props, I just did a thread in the help forum.
T-motors looks really great, but expensive in a big time!

Reactions: Mike Mas
AFAIK there is nothing wrong with a tiny loose in some of the props, I just did a thread in the help forum.
T-motors looks really great, but expensive in a big time!
I never said " a tiny bit of looseness" I said they came loose. And I never said I was running out to buy the T-Motor props either. I said I was interested in checking them out.
The 'Looseness was just under a 1/4" measured at the prop tip. That makes ME uncomfortable. You use what you want and I'll use what I want.
I will check out your thread and read what you have to say, as I will read what OTHER people have to say on the subject as well. Then I will make my decision as to what props I will use.
For now I plan to use the Self tightening and prop locks.
Thank you for your advise, I shall keep it in mind.

For information - I carefully placed the QR props in the trash/rubbish without opening the box.
I use my Inspire commercially and only fly using the threaded props and locks. (Fitting of them forms part of my checklist in my ops manual).
The props are checked prior and after flights for signs of wear or stress cracks.
I received my Inspire in February and I am still using the first set of original threaded props supplied.
Cost so far - Zero.

For information - I carefully placed the QR props in the trash/rubbish without opening the box.
I use my Inspire commercially and only fly using the threaded props and locks. (Fitting of them forms part of my checklist in my ops manual).
The props are checked prior and after flights for signs of wear or stress cracks.
I received my Inspire in February and I am still using the first set of original threaded props supplied.
Cost so far - Zero.
I recently changed from QR to regular threaded with locks.
Feels a lot safer. The spinning-on-ritual is reassuring. The added safety clips even more. I never felt confident with the QR 'solution'. My guess is that DJI just cut production cost with the QR's. Some employee probably got a bonus for the idea.......

The only thing is: my flying buddy with QR props is 20 seconds earlier ready for take off..........

I have now about 70 flights with the T- Motor propellers and the adapters from Infinity Hobby - I am so pleased with this setup. The propellers are very expensive but the adapters are cheap. I am very confident with the adapters and that is very important for me. It is more quiet - it has a very precise response - the flightime is as original setup. ( Maybe slightly improved )

Reactions: Mike Mas
I recently changed from QR to regular threaded with locks.
Feels a lot safer. The spinning-on-ritual is reassuring. The added safety clips even more. I never felt confident with the QR 'solution'. My guess is that DJI just cut production cost with the QR's. Some employee probably got a bonus for the idea.......

The only thing is: my flying buddy with QR props is 20 seconds earlier ready for take off..........

They weren't cutting costs.. A bunch of ops weren't tightening the props down enough and the atb system was causing them to back spin off the motors causing crashes....thus prop locks were released....as I recall people didn't like the prop locks much because it took too long to get to flight whereas their previous experience (phantoms) props screwed on (they didn't understand this)....dji was trying to make their customers happy as far as I can tell....why you can now buy screw on props from their store...we came full circle

Easier and cheaper to produce plastic locks than a 3 piece prop lock system

They weren't cutting costs.. A bunch of ops weren't tightening the props down enough and the atb system was causing them to back spin off the motors causing crashes....thus prop locks were released....as I recall people didn't like the prop locks much because it took too long to get to flight whereas their previous experience (phantoms) props screwed on (they didn't understand this)....dji was trying to make their customers happy as far as I can tell....why you can now buy screw on props from their store...we came full circle

Easier and cheaper to produce plastic locks than a 3 piece prop lock system

Unless you are an employee or supplier to DJI you can only guess, I guess..... I'm only stating my own logic. Not telling anybody I KNOW.

I'm pretty sure the QR 'solution' was in fact a financial solution. The first I1's just had self tightening spin on props. In a few incidents some users managed to lose a prop during flight. (due to the incredible breaking, I guess). DJI then decided to add the RPM burst at start up to ensure the props would be tight. On top of that they shipped every I1 with snap on locks as a drop in the box.
That added at least a couple of dimes to the cost.
The full plastic QR props are cheaper because a prop with machined threaded hub is more expensive than a full plastic prop. The locking plates are extremely low cost I'm sure. And you have to buy them seperately anyway if you need the whole prop system. And it saves DJI the drop in the box lockers.
Sure they have to supply the locker adapters the first time, but the naked prop should be much cheaper to produce in mass. And they provide DJI a proprietary product in the very lucrative supplies market. (millions of props). Spin on props, anyone can make those, the snap ons are exclusively patented, at least for a while. The regular threaded props and the QR's have the same selling price. Hence more profit.

Last edited:
I just removed the QR props and hardware from my I1. My bird originally came with self tightening props and locks, I upgraded to the QR props when DJI sent them out as an UPGRADE.
When I left on my holidays I installed NEW DJI QR props before leaving on our road trip, I did a lot of flying and found that with continued use the props became loose on their mounting plates yet I could not see any signs of wear on the props or the hardware. I started changing props every time they loosened up. Eventually the new props I installed were loose right away (after 1 flight) so I changed the mounting hardware and the props would be tight again, so I tried a set of the QR props that had loosened up earlier and they were tight again but only lasted a few flights before they became loose again. I no longer trust them (the QR props) anymore and have gone back to the original self tightening props and prop locks. I went through 4 sets of QR props and two sets of hardware in 15 days with approx. 3 hrs in the air each day. Other then the props, "Rosie" flew like a pro not one issue :D I have a lot of editing to do now that we're home.

Now I'm seriously considering the T-Motor props. Now I guess I'll be following the forums to see how others make out with them.
Sorry to hear you are having some problems, I have over 120 flights and my QR mounts and props are like new, no wear on the mounts or props. No detectable movement at the prop tips on any of the four connectors. Could be a quality problem with the props you have, haven't tried another set on mime. I average two flights per outing so that's over 60 on and offs with the props.

All the best

Les

Sorry to hear you are having some problems, I have over 120 flights and my QR mounts and props are like new, no wear on the mounts or props. No detectable movement at the prop tips on any of the four connectors. Could be a quality problem with the props you have, haven't tried another set on mime. I average two flights per outing so that's over 60 on and offs with the props.

All the best

Les
Thanks. I have only ever used props ordered directly from DJI. I think its the adapters myself, but that's just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk