Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Focus on focus

Reaction score
Question on infinity :). "Lens calibration" seems to want to set my "infinity" setting too close which then blocks me from manually focusing further into the scene using the app slider. It seems that on other DJI models you were able to manually focus further out using one of the RC wheels but not so on the I2.

I am sure I can straighten out the calibration issue with more fiddling, but am I correct that there is no way to manually focus past the set infinity point on the I2?

Also, does any one know what is going on with the calibration process? I understand that the remote is trying to configure a hyperfocal distance but how is it relating this to the point we are manually selecting during calibration?

Also, is there an AF-Lock in auto?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Apologies for the bump. Can any of the experienced DJI guys here help a newb with these Q's?

Question on infinity :). "Lens calibration" seems to want to set my "infinity" setting too close which then blocks me from manually focusing further into the scene using the app slider. It seems that on other DJI models you were able to manually focus further out using one of the RC wheels but not so on the I2.

I am sure I can straighten out the calibration issue with more fiddling, but am I correct that there is no way to manually focus past the set infinity point on the I2?

Also, does any one know what is going on with the calibration process? I understand that the remote is trying to configure a hyperfocal distance but how is it relating this to the point we are manually selecting during calibration?

Also, is there an AF-Lock in auto?

Thanks for any info.

First of all, are you selecting a point at least 65 m from you, per the manual instructions?

No, the calibration is not to set hyperfocal distance, but to select a point that equals infinity for that lens, since some MFT lenses allow focus past infinity (like, e.g., for infrared sensors).

The autofocus (and manual focus cal) feature uses contrast-based focus detection. Enabling 80/90% contrast (creepy-crawly red ants) will aid in determining correct focus.

I don't get my I2 till Saturday, so I'm going off my experience with the I1/X5 combo. If things have changed, I'll be sure to follow up my post.

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, the calibration actually rejects locations that it considers to close. I have been trying subjects at a variety of distances. I struggled to find a suitable location but was able to get it to work. I read this Detailed guide on X5 "lens calibration" and tried those settings. What I am missing (once calibrated) is the ability to focus directly on very distant subjects such as mountain ranges. From the linked article it seems like yo used to be able to focus further away than the set infinity but I am not finding a way to o that.

Where is 80/90% contrast enabled? I am not finding that feature.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, the calibration actually rejects locations that it considers to close. I have been trying subjects at a variety of distances. I struggled to find a suitable location but was able to get it to work. I read this Detailed guide on X5 "lens calibration" and tried those settings. What I am missing (once calibrated) is the ability to focus directly on very distant subjects such as mountain ranges. From the linked article it seems like yo used to be able to focus further away than the set infinity but I am not finding a way to o that.

Where is 80/90% contrast enabled? I am not finding that feature.

Thanks again.

It's under General Settings: Peak Focus Threshold.

As to your problem with focus on far distant objects like mountain ranges, please tell me what lens you are using. If it is the Olympus 12 mm f/2.0 lens, be aware that there is a focus ring that, if pulled back, will disable AF and allow manual adjustment of focus only.

Last edited:
Hi Quad,

Peak Focus Threshold is either gone for the I2 in Go 4 or hiding very well. :)

This is the standard DJI 15 mm lens. Both auto focus and Manual focus work. I am just unable to manually focus on the horizon. It would be nice to be able to focus by RC wheel as well. Using the app for manual focus...not loving that.

Hi Quad,

Peak Focus Threshold is either gone for the I2 in Go 4 or hiding very well. :)

This is the standard DJI 15 mm lens. Both auto focus and Manual focus work. I am just unable to manually focus on the horizon. It would be nice to be able to focus by RC wheel as well. Using the app for manual focus...not loving that.

Sorry, Feets, I'm out of ideas. I get my I2 Combo package Saturday and will take a good look at the focus issue and the app. Let you know what I find.

Sorry, Feets, I'm out of ideas. I get my I2 Combo package Saturday and will take a good look at the focus issue and the app. Let you know what I find.

I need to apologize. Peaking is there when the drone is powered on. For some reason the option is not displayed when the drone is off. That helps me a lot!

I need to apologize. Peaking is there when the drone is powered on. For some reason the option is not displayed when the drone is off. That helps me a lot!

No worries, man. It's good to be reminded that a lot of features in the app only show themselves when the craft is linked to the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide