Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fried camera?

Reaction score
Left my Inspire 1 in a big Peli-case, in my car over the night.
It was cold, around -6 celsius.

In the morning I went to a town 150km away, to take some photos of the downtown city.

No problems at the beginning, but after a couple of minutes, the gimbal went crazy and stopped at its endposition..

First I thought a got a flyaway, but when I saw the drone steady in the air I calm down. :)

Down on the ground again and turned off, the Inspire started again of it self..
Turned off again and took out the battery.

Put the drone back in the case and drove home. Smelled burned electronics in the car, like a shortcut..

Tested again at home and the gimbal rotate, but didn't got a videofeed..

Is the camera fried, or what do you think? Should I send it in to DJI..?

Left my Inspire 1 in a big Peli-case, in my car over the night.
It was cold, around -6 celsius.

In the morning I went to a town 150km away, to take some photos of the downtown city.

No problems at the beginning, but after a couple of minutes, the gimbal went crazy and stopped at its endposition..

First I thought a got a flyaway, but when I saw the drone steady in the air I calm down. :)

Down on the ground again and turned off, the Inspire started again of it self..
Turned off again and took out the battery.

Put the drone back in the case and drove home. Smelled burned electronics in the car, like a shortcut..

Tested again at home and the gimbal rotate, but didn't got a videofeed..

Is the camera fried, or what do you think? Should I send it in to DJI..?
It is possible at -6 in the car by switching on the heater in the vehicle (I assume you had the heat on!) It caused condensation to form internally on the cold metal parts of the Inspire/Camera. This would remain on those parts for some time - it is feasible that this caused a short internally hence burning smell.

Oh - hang on a minute, just seen you said it was in a peli case so doubt it was that.
More likely to be the fact the camera heated up to the ambient temp in the car during your drive.
Then when you got out and used the aircraft I am assuming it was minus something, warm metal and below freezing temp. If the relative humidity was high it could have caused problems with condensation.

The Inspire was still cold, when I took it out of the case (Pelican 1690).
Maybe not freezing temperatures, but cold it was.

Outside temp when I was flying, was around -3C..

The funny thing is that I put my Phantom 2 in a tree. It sat there for 2 weeks, by four thunderstorms before I got help to take it down.

It worked without any problems after that. Here I sit with an Inspire 1 and has left it in a Pelicase in the car, a few degrees below zero and it immediately breaks down..

When I took a closer look at the Inspire, I found that the shortcut smell comes from the drone, not the camera.

Now I am quite confused ..

After my Inspire has been in my office a couple of days, so it seems that the thing works. Tested the drone before I would pack it and send it to DJI.

Have not flown yet, but is that something I should? Given that it smelled burnt electronics before?
I get no error message and it appears to function normally ..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool