Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fried ESC

Reaction score
Today, start Autoflight, start RC, start battery inspire, battery on and ...shut off? Tried again, second time battery shut off again? I charge another battery and try to arm the motors...smoke coming out 1 motor (CW), and hard smell something burnt. Directly all off, looking this motor, nothing to see, but hard smell. OK, as Bruce explain on youtube, removal motor, very easy, and found the ESC fried. On first view, I see nothing on this motor, but I will not take risk at all and I found on internet, second hand motor (CW) with ESC in good condition (as new). Now my question. If I mount this (second hand) motor with this ESC, can I turn on and try to fly without calibration of the replaced ESC? I remember 1 year ago, I replace an ESC of my Mariner drone, and I have to calibrate this ESC! Is there someone who have experience, with changing ESC and motor from an Inspire1? Of course I'm going after the repair done by me, at the first startup of the engines be highly vigilant, and if everything goes normally, the first 10 minutes leave the quad at low altitude hover to controll if everything is normal again. Somebody can help me with this experience and did the same repair?

Last edited:
Today, start Autoflight, start RC, start battery inspire, battery on and ...shut off? Tried again, second time battery shut off again? I charge another battery and try to arm the motors...smoke coming out 1 motor (CW), and hard smell something burnt. Directly all off, looking this motor, nothing to see, but hard smell. OK, as Bruce explain on youtube, removal motor, very easy, and found the ESC fried. On first view, I see nothing on this motor, but I will not take risk at all and I found on internet, second hand motor (CW) with ESC in good condition (as new). Now my question. If I mount this (second hand) motor with this ESC, can I turn on and try to fly without calibration of the replaced ESC? I remember 1 year ago, I replace an ESC of my Mariner drone, and I have to calibrate this ESC! Is there someone who have experience, with changing ESC and motor from an Inspire1? Of course I'm going after the repair done by me, at the first startup of the engines be highly vigilant, and if everything goes normally, the first 10 minutes leave the quad at low altitude hover to controll if everything is normal again. Somebody can help me with this experience and did the same repair?
There is no calibration necessary as you have to on self build/other platforms when you are running SimonK or or similar. You do not need to teach the esc 0-100 throttle or adjust pulse width timing since it is a bespoke tuned system.
The only thing I would advise is a full stick calibration after replacement.

There is no calibration necessary as you have to on self build/other platforms when you are running SimonK or or similar. You do not need to teach the esc 0-100 throttle or adjust pulse width timing since it is a bespoke tuned system.

Thanks for the instructions.
Do you think there would be damage to the engine, by the fact that the ESC might be burned by a short circuit?

How can I best test that engine on damage?

Thanks for the instructions.
Do you think there would be damage to the engine, by the fact that the ESC might be burned by a short circuit?

How can I best test that engine on damage?
There's no real easy way to test brushless motors. You can measure the difference in resistance between coils but you need a very accurate meter and it can be a bit hit and miss.
Your best bet would be to ensure the motor bearings are not binding and the bell housing runs freely. Then I would strip down the motor and separate the two parts and do a thourough visual inspection of the motor coils with a magnifying glass checking for any damage to the insulation coating on the wires. If you see my signs of heat/burn damage the motor is history.
Has your aircraft been involved in any kind of crash in the past that may have stalled the motors or that particular motor and thus increased the current through the FETS on the esc?

Has your aircraft been involved in any kind of crash in the past that may have stalled the motors or that particular motor and thus increased the current through the FETS on the esc?

4 months ago, the quad had a crash, and has been by DJI Germany to replace a broken left arm, which belonged to the fried ESC part of this arm (motor & fried ESC on the left). The bill was also replace ESC & motor, but not which (CW or CCW)?

Thanks
There's no real easy way to test brushless motors. You can measure the difference in resistance between coils but you need a very accurate meter and it can be a bit hit and miss.
Your best bet would be to ensure the motor bearings are not binding and the bell housing runs freely. Then I would strip down the motor and separate the two parts and do a thourough visual inspection of the motor coils with a magnifying glass checking for any damage to the insulation coating on the wires. If you see my signs of heat/burn damage the motor is history.
There is no calibration necessary as you have to on self build/other platforms when you are running SimonK.

Thanks again, I assembly the new motor + ESC this evening, calibrate the sticks, and dit a test of 10 minutes (now 2h20 at night), out of curiosity in my garden. Tomorrow I'll do a back test with a charged battery, not high and within 100 meters, to then do a regular flight back with a fresh charged battery. Test passed! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk