Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

General opinion on temperature and the Inspire1

Reaction score
Website
kdactionphoto.smugmug.com
I live in the North East (Buffalo area) and want some opinions on the Inspire 1 and flying temperature. I never flew much below 40 degrees. Usually I retired them for winter to just take a break. The I1 is rated at what 20 degrees F. up to 95? Anyone fly in the winter months and have any issues?
Thanks for your info and opinions
Kevin

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Mine came with an insulated sticker to put on the battery if flying in low temperatures, and I'm pretty sure I read in the documentation somewhere to let it run for a little while to start warming the battery up before taking flight, however I have no idea what limitations they set.
My boss was telling me that he's never used the insulated sticker on his, and he has flown in our winter many times - temps of 5 - 10C (41-50F).
I'd be more worried about controlling the sticks with my fingers/thumbs when it's 40C, than worried about the Inspire, I'd be shivering so much I'd probably draw a very strange line across the sky ;)

Mine came with an insulated sticker to put on the battery if flying in low temperatures, and I'm pretty sure I read in the documentation somewhere to let it run for a little while to start warming the battery up before taking flight, however I have no idea what limitations they set.
My boss was telling me that he's never used the insulated sticker on his, and he has flown in our winter many times - temps of 5 - 10C (41-50F).
I'd be more worried about controlling the sticks with my fingers/thumbs when it's 40C, than worried about the Inspire, I'd be shivering so much I'd probably draw a very strange line across the sky ;)
Thanks EZook. for the info.! :)

There is a battery pre-warmer available in the dji store here which may be useful. Lets say your out flying in the cold and want to make another flight. But your spare batteries have been exposed to the cold temps. The pre-warmer could save the day!

One thing to keep in mind as you're flying in colder seasons is temperature differences at different altitudes. It could be colder as you ascend. Or there could be an inversion and it might get warmer the higher you go!

I've certainly seen some amazing videos online that were filmed in snow and some very cold looking places. I can't say for sure they were done with an Inspire, but I think if you approach it sensibly, let it warm up, check the craft for icing on body and props regularly, you might be surprised at what it will handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have flown numerous times with no issues at -20 celsius. The motors will not fire if the battery is too cold, but if the battery and craft are warm you shouldn't have any problems going as cold as you want to go

I've flown quite a bit in the winter here in Chicago. I keep my batteries warm before flight and have noticed little effect on the flight time or behavior of the batteries. Not so for the S800 which absolutely deplores cold flights.

I've flown quite a bit in the winter here in Chicago. I keep my batteries warm before flight and have noticed little effect on the flight time or behavior of the batteries. Not so for the S800 which absolutely deplores cold flights.

Wow, firstly let me say that is beautiful,
secondly let me say, "Are you mad?" LOL.
Who deliberately lives in a place where the harbour freezes solid? :)
I live in a place where ONCE in the entire last 20 years, the top 5mm (0.2 of an inch) of the swimming pool froze overnight, but it didn't stay that way once the sun came up. I can't imagine a place so cold that the harbour freezes!!! That's some seriously tough people that choose to live in places like that. All credit to you.
On the plus side, it gives great video opportunities like the one you've posted :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla