Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Get out of my way PHANTOM

**** Head.
It's idiots like this that get us a bad name and the reason why we now have to operate under some very strict conditions.

Reactions: Waternut13134
**** Head.
It's idiots like this that get us a bad name and the reason why we now have to operate under some very strict conditions.
Hmm...... its idiots like YOU that call people "**** head" without fully understanding the circumstances.
On the balance of probability this drone was filming to get a particular shot WITH permission in fact its quite possible this "**** Head" was actually filming directly for the organisation responsible for the racing.
Those of us involved in the film industry actually go out of our way to push the boundaries for better and better shots every day we film. We take risks from time to time I've seen real helicopters crash, real dolly systems fail and collapse, real cranes malfunction or collide with set property and yes drones occasionally are positioned in some tight spots to get just the right shot.
This camerman was clearly aiming for a specific shot, it is likely the car gave a little extra gas then when they had practised ( just to make sure it looked good).
Its very possible that the drone ( camera) was correctly positioned and the driver changed the parameters.
The restrictions around what we do as a profession and what you do as a hobby are totally unrelated.

Reactions: Gary E and Phatzo
You purposely crash cars into drones.
What if you got it wrong.
Sorry mate from what You posted on this forum, you really look like an even bigger **** Head now.

You purposely crash cars into drones.
What if you got it wrong.
Sorry mate from what You posted on this forum, you really look like an even bigger **** Head now.
What in my post indicated that anyone ever deliberately flies a car into a drone?
Your clearly a very classy person and its good to have you as one if us, personally given your great reasoning I think you should lobby to be an industry spokesman, you clearly have a way with words and a very balanced ability to reason. I'm left wondering if you ever attended one of those leadership courses offered by Donald Trump!
Keep up the informative good work!
Sincerely
"**** head" !

On the balance of probability this drone was filming to get a particular shot WITH permission in fact its quite possible this "**** Head" was actually filming directly for the organisation responsible for the racing.
with a Phantom......yeah right.
We can't get a Phantom licensed for commercial use where I live. Odds are this was a hobbyist action. Stupid one also.

They are amazing little quads. I have 2 older Phantoms as well and still fly them with pleasure.

I was told the Phantoms would be regarded consumer grade. Some connections that are soldered should be plugged or screwed, among a list of other things. After the needed modifications it would be tested as a self built aircraft. The amount of time it would take to get it certified as well as the cost (could be up to 9000Euro) would be not be worth it. The Inspire1 is designed with airworthyness certification in mind. Certification is little more than a general check to see if the manufacturers specifications still apply and comply. Cost is around 2200Euro and takes a few weeks.

In the US, airworthyness certification is not needed for commercial use?

I've been in video production for 40 years. If there is danger in anything we do, danger to us or our equipment, we double and triple check everything before we attempt a shot. Sure, unpredictable things happen. People make mistakes but the safety checks I and colleagues have done over the years have resulted in no injuries to people and almost no problems with equipment (beyond dust or dirt).

What I would have done in this case, if I was shooting professionally or for fun is, I would have asked the driver to do a test run so I could judge the height his car would go to. I would have asked for a 2nd test run, this time with our drone at a very safe height above the car's path and then I'd have checked the altitude of the drone compared to the height of the car. If the car height looked consistent, on the third run we'd do the "take" with the quad copter lower. Keeping in mind we'd be shooting 4K with the I1, we'd have a little room in post to zoom the video in if the shot looked to wide, even with the compressed X3 camera footage. If the driver didn't want to do a test run, I'd shoot with the drone high up so as not to put my equipment, me or anyone on the ground or in the car, in danger. If the driver didn't like the shot because it was too wide, tough. I'd tell him or her, "That's what you get when you won't do a test run. I won't risk my equipment or risk hurt anyone for one lousy shot that you won't cooperate on." If the driver is a pro, he/she won't hesitate to do a test run. Heck, most pro drivers I've met insist on test runs for their own safety!

Safety comes first NOT the shot.

I've been in video production for 40 years. If there is danger in anything we do, danger to us or our equipment, we double and triple check everything before we attempt a shot. Sure, unpredictable things happen. People make mistakes but the safety checks I and colleagues have done over the years have resulted in no injuries to people and almost no problems with equipment (beyond dust or dirt).

What I would have done in this case, if I was shooting professionally or for fun is, I would have asked the driver to do a test run so I could judge the height his car would go to. I would have asked for a 2nd test run, this time with our drone at a very safe height above the car's path and then I'd have checked the altitude of the drone compared to the height of the car. If the car height looked consistent, on the third run we'd do the "take" with the quad copter lower. Keeping in mind we'd be shooting 4K with the I1, we'd have a little room in post to zoom the video in if the shot looked to wide, even with the compressed X3 camera footage. If the driver didn't want to do a test run, I'd shoot with the drone high up so as not to put my equipment, me or anyone on the ground or in the car, in danger. If the driver didn't like the shot because it was too wide, tough. I'd tell him or her, "That's what you get when you won't do a test run. I won't risk my equipment or risk hurt anyone for one lousy shot that you won't cooperate on." If the driver is a pro, he/she won't hesitate to do a test run. Heck, most pro drivers I've met insist on test runs for their own safety!

Safety comes first NOT the shot.

Agreed with all of your points, however it is my thought that the driver quite possibly wasnt a pro stunt driver..... more likely a shot commissioned more informally to permit the drone shot at an event using the drivers already there with their own cars. often a non film stunt driver will go for a little more gas as the adrenaline kicks in to make sure they get enough air. either way I doubt anyone was injured, the P3 can be considered a throw away item in this instance.
lesson learned for all. Including us on the forum.

Agreed with all of your points, however it is my thought that the driver quite possibly wasnt a pro stunt driver..... more likely a shot commissioned more informally to permit the drone shot at an event using the drivers already there with their own cars. often a non film stunt driver will go for a little more gas as the adrenaline kicks in to make sure they get enough air. either way I doubt anyone was injured, the P3 can be considered a throw away item in this instance.
lesson learned for all. Including us on the forum.

No doubt you are correct. Still, even if they were just weekend off-road warriors, I would have asked for a "rehearsal". Why risk even a P3, it's a few hundred dollars for just the standard model.

I do have to admit, the fact that the camera keeps filming says a lot about how rugged that is!

Isn't it possible that the crash was intended??
I've seen Bubba Watson bring a drone down with a golf drive...as an example of people willing to risk their drone for "a shot"
I fly my phantom 2 in fireworks knowing full well I could lose it... (With permission and safety checks) but knowing the shots are worth the risk.
People are happy to spend to get dramatic shots that get high views for their Channel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it possible that the crash was intended??
I've seen Bubba Watson bring a drone down with a golf drive...as an example of people willing to risk their drone for "a shot"
I fly my phantom 2 in fireworks knowing full well I could lose it... (With permission and safety checks) but knowing the shots are worth the risk.
People are happy to spend to get dramatic shots that get high views for their Channel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andrew259, you said it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinODo