Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gimbal Off centre

Reaction score
hello all...

First post here, been doing a lot of reading. Great forum and very informative, now for my question?

Just received my pro and not sure if my camera is messed up. When starting it spins 360 etc then light goes green. However it doesn't stop centre, it is off a good 10 degrees. The other thing is the control wheels don't seem to move the camera at all when turned on sitting idle on table for example. No pan or tilt wheels looked to be configured.

I hope I am doing something wrong and don't have to send this thing back. Any help or things to check would be greatly appreciated...

I didn't find much when searching on this subject. Thanks for your input

Thanks for your reply, I have not. Will a Qtip dipped in alcohol work or should I use something else?

I am having the same issue I think. I was on my first flight of the day, everything looked normal, I went through normal pre-flight check list, camera and gimbal operated perfectly, most importantly it was straight. I took off and flew for a minute or so and the horizon wasn't level so I decided to do a tilt adjustment, that didnt work, so I tried to do a YAW reset, thats when the camera reset to the current position and now it thinks that is straight forward. Everything else works fine, I can move the camera freely any direction I want, but center is off. So weird. any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpg
    IMG_8432.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 37
I have my C2 button programmed to return the camera to centre, as this happens a lot to me. If you have that button programmed and the camera doesn't centre itself upon boot up, just hit the button and it should return to centre. Same thing will happen in the air, the camera tends to slowly drift away to one side for me, pretty annoying but I just tap C2 and it goes back.
Regarding your tilt dial, not sure about why that wouldn't be working.

I have my C2 button programmed to return the camera to centre, as this happens a lot to me. If you have that button programmed and the camera doesn't centre itself upon boot up, just hit the button and it should return to centre. Same thing will happen in the air, the camera tends to slowly drift away to one side for me, pretty annoying but I just tap C2 and it goes back.
Regarding your tilt dial, not sure about why that wouldn't be working.

For me the "return to center" or "reset yaw" will bring it back to the current, off center, facing left, position. I too have my C2 button set to reset the yaw for forward. even after recalibrating the gimbal it resets itself to this position, off center.

I tried cleaning and still the same. Contacted vendor and they suggested recalibrate IMU first then do gimbal calibration second.

Still the same, I can return it using the C1 button no problem.

Did you ever find a fix for this?

So I played around a little more and I am thinking this is by design, maybe someone else can chime in. Clicking FPV mode it centres itself of course as does my defined C1 hotkey.

I noticed that when turning off camera the mode flips back to follow mode. When I look at the follow mode icon the camera is always offset in this mode at start (green triangle) and not centered like the follow mode. Which means the camera will stop in that position.

I thought it was a fault but I think it is by design not sure the purpose of having the offset on startup...

Again maybe someone else and chime in and confirm the same. Otherwise I can live with this knowing that it is by design and not a fault. :)

I can't even return in with the Yaw reset button, I can make it move to the center using my finger on the iPad manually, but then the Inspire thinks its not looking center so the gimbal tries to level the camera based on incorrect data so it goes all over the place. I called DJI and they said I have to send it in for repair, even though its just a software glitch.

Is this what you are experiencing Aerialmotion?

No that is different then me, when I boot up drone and it does it calibration spin it doesn't stop centred.

I can centre it however with yaw reset or switching fpv mode. Did you try the imu reset then gimbal calibration. Also what happens if you switch to fpv mode does it centre itself?

Thanks for your reply, I have not. Will a Qtip dipped in alcohol work or should I use something else?
Where I used to work we had a lot of computer controlled equipment. The electrician working on my machine cleaned the electrical contacts with a clean pencil eraser. Not sure if this will work on the Inspire contacts but should I ever feel the need to clean them I will try the pencil eraser trick and report back here with my findings.

No that is different then me, when I boot up drone and it does it calibration spin it doesn't stop centred.

I can centre it however with yaw reset or switching fpv mode. Did you try the imu reset then gimbal calibration. Also what happens if you switch to fpv mode does it centre itself?

I have the Inspire 1 V1 and added the X5 to mine. I have had the same issue since doing so. It does self calibration at startup and gimbal stops left of center. I think this must be by design but it is a poor design if that is the case. I have had terrible time flying since adding the X5 and I believe it is primarily due to this flaw. If there is any wind what so ever I have a terrible time maintaining straight forward flight. The I1 tends to yaw to one side do to poor aerodynamics with the camera left of center. I am constantly fighting the yaw and over correcting to keep it straight forward during filming. I am about ready to go back to my X3 camera which flew like a dream compared to the X5! Any feedback about this issue I would welcome if anyone has found a way to avoid this flight behavior.

I've been having an issue where my x3 will not remain in the center position when turning the aircraft. I always have to hit c1 (camera forward) to center the camera. The camera seems to turn behind the aircraft instead of turning with it. Any suggestions?

I've flown my inspire 7 times now and this problem is bugging the hell out of me. The roll is of by 1.4 degrees all the time. When I reset it goes back to being a wonkey horizon. The only way around this is either adjusting the roll before every take off, or getting the 2nd operator to adjust it with the right stick (I have have to set this up so the right stick controls the roll). So infuriating.

When you use a dual operator set up its so important to use C1 or C2 to rest the gimbal so the pilot can see PFV. Every time you do this the roll goes back to being off.

Is there no way of re-setting the master roll?

My gimbal also if off in terms of the centre pan. It never feel like the craft is flying forward when the gimbal is reset and looking straight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84