Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Great little and simple solution to prevent micro SD cards from flee jumping

Reaction score
Yesterday my SD card turned out to be full so I wanted to change it with an empty one.
I was out in the fields and what I was afraid off, happened. I pushed the micro SD with my thumb nail (cut too short :() and it just jumped out of the slot about 6 feet into the tall grass.
Took me 15minutes to find it and I was lucky I even did.

So I wanted a solution for this immediately. My fingers are way too big for these tiny little things.
I decided to add some bright red tape to it. That way if it jumps away I can still find it (I hope). Besides, letting the tape stick out from the slot, you can hold the tape while pressing the card down. It doesn't jump away anymore!

See pics.

2015-06-04 10.18.15.jpg 2015-06-04 10.19.35.jpg 2015-06-04 10.20.45.jpg

Yesterday my SD card turned out to be full so I wanted to change it with an empty one.
I was out in the fields and what I was afraid off, happened. I pushed the micro SD with my thumb nail (cut too short :() and it just jumped out of the slot about 6 feet into the tall grass.
Took me 15minutes to find it and I was lucky I even did.

So I wanted a solution for this immediately. My fingers are way too big for these tiny little things.
I decided to add some bright red tape to it. That way if it jumps away I can still find it (I hope). Besides, letting the tape stick out from the slot, you can hold the tape while pressing the card down. It doesn't jump away anymore!

See pics.

View attachment 2147 View attachment 2148 View attachment 2149
Great idea.
What's that on the front of your gimbal? An LED searchlight!

Reactions: lake_flyer
This is a good idea. I definitely had the "flee jump" before. I have a case with my SD cards in them. I am always so nervous to have all of that information on such a small piece of material. Losing one could mean losing thousands of dollars at times. Nice post. I may try it.

Reactions: lake_flyer
And a BIG plus: you can see from 'a mile distance' that you have your SD card loaded.

Great idea.
What's that on the front of your gimbal? An LED searchlight!
Something like that, I call it the morning star.

It's just 5 bucks (took it out of a cheap LED desk lamp).
In extremely bright sunlight, this morning, I still saw it as bright as a daylight star on 400m out, even while the nose was facing the low sun. Powered by a 12v Lipo. Highly recommended over all those expensive bicycle lights. A permanent light is better for orientation, when yawing, than a strobe, which I tried, paid 20 bucks for it (way too expensive and not half as good).

Some people say a 1Watt LED doesn't cut it but these 9 1Watt LEDs, combined, are really the brightest lights I ever had. On my Phantoms I use the same solution, took them out more than 600m regularly (to check on my boat in the harbour), never had a problem in turning the nose home, even at that distance.

Last edited:
And a BIG plus: you can see from 'a mile distance' that you have your SD card loaded.

Something like that, I call it the morning star.

It's just 5 bucks (took it out of a cheap LED desk lamp).
In extremely bright sunlight, this morning, I still saw it as bright as a daylight star on 400m out, even while the nose was facing the low sun. Powered by a 12v Lipo. Highly recommended over all those expensive bicycle lights. A permanent light is better for orientation, when yawing, than a strobe, which I tried, paid 20 bucks for it (way too expensive and not half as good).

Some people say a 1Watt LED doesn't cut it but these 9 1Watt LEDs, combined, are really the brightest lights I ever had. On my Phantoms I use the same solution, took them out more than 600m regularly (to check on my boat in the harbour), never had a problem in turning the nose home, even at that distance.

For who's interested, this kind of lamps are for sale everywhere for almost nothing. Just take out the LED disk and throw away the rest.

2015-06-04 15.40.51.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD