Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Hanging items off of a drone

Reaction score
A client has asked for the use of a drone & operator for a film shoot in which they want me to deliver something to a window. I'm pretty sure that there is a rule against attaching items to a drone? What could be a work around if any?

Thanks!

Article 94(1) of the ANO states - "A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property."

Attaching items to a drone is fine (we do it with cameras!) and even dropping items is fine, as long as you are not endangering anyone or anything. My biggest concern would be how close the client expects you to get to the window and encompassing wall.

Reactions: Luff84
Article 94(1) of the ANO states - "A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property."

Attaching items to a drone is fine (we do it with cameras!) and even dropping items is fine, as long as you are not endangering anyone or anything. My biggest concern would be how close the client expects you to get to the window and encompassing wall.

Thanks for the reply. It seems my memory serves me wrong! Getting close to the window should be fine as we spoke today about actually staging that part of the advert anyway.

A client has asked for the use of a drone & operator for a film shoot in which they want me to deliver something to a window. I'm pretty sure that there is a rule against attaching items to a drone? What could be a work around if any?

Thanks!

Closed set? The rules are different for closed set vs. general populous. Stricter in some ways but more lenient in others. Don't have time to research it now, but will look into this tomorrow and get more specifics.

Closed set? The rules are different for closed set vs. general populous. Stricter in some ways but more lenient in others. Don't have time to research it now, but will look into this tomorrow and get more specifics.
UK specific Donnie - different rules applied by the CAA. :)

It is possible for sure and multiple ways to do it depending on the size of the object you want delivering

This is how they do it in China.

Translation: Bing ching chang chong bong bing wang wong.

Capture1.JPG

I've done this for a joke video in a controlled scenario. We were mocking amazon and doing 'snack delivery', so rigged a small basket to our phantom and put a bag of skittles inside. The drone flew ok but the extra weight bothered it a little. We had our 'actor' come out of the house and grab the candy out of the basket, then flew the drone away. It worked out pretty well and was pretty funny.
I wouldn't recommend doing this in an uncontrolled way though as the flight characteristics are affected, we were in the middle of nowhere and the maneuver wasn't that complicated so we were fine doing it.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669