Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Has anyone had experience flying near a substation?

Reaction score
Website
www.visualair.co.uk
Reason I ask is, I have been asked to capture a very simple static birds eye view shot of a car traveling between 2 buildings, so literaly up film, then down, but this is right next to a substation. Permission has been granted from the national grid and building owners, just wondered if anyone has had any experience using the Inspire near one.

Any thoughts on this would be great, thank you.

Reason I ask is, I have been asked to capture a very simple static birds eye view shot of a car traveling between 2 buildings, so literaly up film, then down, but this is right next to a substation. Permission has been granted from the national grid and building owners, just wondered if anyone has had any experience using the Inspire near one.

Any thoughts on this would be great, thank you.
How near is 'near'?

Hi .. Just confirm that your imu numbers are fine on the ground and that you've got a good channel to operate on .. you'll be fine.

I'm not permitted to detail just how I know that you will have no problems ;)

How near is 'near'?
well I was looking to take off at least 50meters away
Hi .. Just confirm that your imu numbers are fine on the ground and that you've got a good channel to operate on .. you'll be fine.

I'm not permitted to detail just how I know that you will have no problems ;)
Thanks steelkite, I guess that sounds positive haha,

well I was looking to take off at least 50meters away
You should be fine - as steelkite mentioned, obviously check all your mod values (with particular attention to the fluctuation of the compass values)
Once airborne, hover stationary and monitor those values again and look for signs of TBE. If evident then land but you should be fine.

You should be fine - as steelkite mentioned, obviously check all your mod values (with particular attention to the fluctuation of the compass values)
Once airborne, hover stationary and monitor those values again and look for signs of TBE. If evident then land but you should be fine.

Brilliant, thank you, thats great peace of mind from both of you

To update on this, travelled 40miles to the destination, decided to calibrate in an open park 2 miles away, came up with the compass error due to traveling this distance which I expected when I switched it on. Calibrated the compass fine and the error went away, drove to the destination, took off and flew without the slightest issue at all, very pleased as this was a major substation, so thanks to Editor and steelkite as well, my confidence and experience has gone up a notch.

Reactions: The Editor
Just to add another update on this.. this is what I was filming for when I had to get near a substation, I signed an NDA so couldnt say anything until the edit was released.. Despite the initial plan to have just 2 seconds of footage a couple of shots were used. I actually used 4 batteries to get loads of options. Could really have done with the x5 that day though.

well done .. not only on doing a great job, but additionally getting that great job. your skills extend beyond just filming .. keep it up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell