Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hello from the western slope

Reaction score
Well, new to drones and aerial photography but have been an amateur/enthusiast photographer since jr high (which is a very long time), and one-time professional videographer. I'm currently living in Colorado between ski towns and love spending time making great pictures in the deserts of Utah, Nevada and in the mountains of colorful Colorado. I had hoped to be unboxing my Inspire 1 pro and playing around with the zenmuse X5 on an Osmo handle this weekend, but unfortunately it is sitting on a truck somewhere in Wyoming thanks to the storm earlier this week.

I'm currently studying for part 107 certification. Not because I necessarily want to be a pro, but because I figure it will make me a better pilot. Also it will allow me to legally fly in spaces not open to purely amateur pilots. My opinion is that the certification process is probably a test case for further licensing requirements anyway, similar to amateur radio's testing and licensing requirement for operating privileges. I wasn't entirely certain I wanted a UAV until I started looking at the Zenmuse x5 and some of the online shootout videos. If it is as good as they claim, it isn't just a good UAV camera, it's a good enough camera for all around shooting, especially for a talented hobbyist.

Welcome RK.. I live in the colorful mountains of Utah. Glad to welcome a neighbor.

And good decision on the 107 cert. It was very helpful to me to understand the laws and regulations. And from my experience, the FAA has actually been quite helpful, even though they did not quite expect the response to UAS use that they have received.. I think they are trying.. but as any government agency, it's going to take a while.

Welcome to the forum, @ReadyKilowatt, we're happy to have you hear. You've taken the right steps in getting Part 107 Certified, yes it may provide some grandfathering for future regulation. Most importantly, it makes you well aware of the airspace in which you are flying to ensure you are a responsible pilot. Unfortunately there are those out there who do not take the time to become educated to props to you.

You have many great assets here on the forum, safe and happy flying with your new Inspire!

Best,
Mike

Welcome aboard!!
Ain't anticipation a bummer?!!
I fly the X5 and love it. Started with an X3 and quickly outgrew it. Took about a week! Just can't get into point and shoot cameras! I have 3 Olympus M. Zuiko lenses. The 12, 25 and 45mm and these suit all of my needs. I too am studying for the 107.

I was going to hold off and get a Mavic Pro, but the shipping delays and finding out about the Osmo handle, along with some extra cash on hand, led me to buy earlier than I had planned. I didn't see an option for buying an Inspire 1 without a camera, so instead of having 2 cameras or having to sell one later I came up with the justification to buy it now "because it's going to be cheaper..."

When I found out about part 107 I downloaded the FAA guide and skimmed it. Immediately my thinking changed from "this is a cool thing" to "this is an aircraft and needs to be treated with the same respect as any other flying object." For example, even though I maintain logs for my ham radio station and for many things I do at work, I never would have thought about keeping a flight log. Not that I don't agree with the idea, just that it isn't something that came to mind.

Anyway I'm glad this site is here. It's a real learning experience and just watching youtube videos doesn't really tell me much about the actual use of sUAVs. Already it's helped by pointing me to remotepilot101 for the 107 course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide