Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

High magnetic interference

Reaction score
Website
www.intheairphotography.com
So...I've been asked to shoot something downtown, among the skyscrapers. Not going really high - shooting a building that is lower. BUT - took my Mavic down there today to scope out the GPS situation...no GPS down there, but also - in one spot I got a "high magnetic interference". It was just on one corner - when I moved off the corner (I was just carrying the Mavic) the warning went away.

So - what happens if you're flying and you run into high magnetic interference? Do you lose control? I'll prolly be flying in Atti mode there.

It'll throw up the compass error message on screen and most likely one with gps errors too, then drop into ATTI mode if you're in sport or p-gps mode.

If you're already in atti, then I doubt you'll experience any other side effects (other than whingey warning messages ;) )

Make sure to stay VLOS and don't hit RTH - prob best to set hover in place instead of go home.

If you're lucky, the magnetic anomaly might just get ground based and you'll not get any issues up in the air.

Reactions: roblevine
Pretty much, yes. The compass and gps readings are still taken and used to show your track, range & heading with respect to take off point (if the aircraft can obtain the readings), but you're the one doing the flying and in control.

As I said, beware using return to home point as it uses compass and gps to work out how to go home!

Pretty much, yes. The compass and gps readings are still taken and used to show your track, range & heading with respect to take off point (if the aircraft can obtain the readings), but you're the one doing the flying and in control.

As I said, beware using return to home point as it uses compass and gps to work out how to go home!
I thought there was a way to say what happened if signal lost? Since I can't get GPS there seems like Return To Home should be disable-able? Otherwise it might remember its last one?

After action: Given the dangers of this location downtown, I opted to use my Mavic Pro Platinum for a test shoot. That spot was like the Bermuda Triangle of drones. I was able to takeoff and fly a few missions; but on like the fourth flight I lost data link at one point for a second and a half and the drone drifted 10 ft in three seconds - nearly crashing into a building but for quick action on my part. I called it a day after that. At various points there was magnetic interference, loss of GPS signal, loss of data signal (at one point) and high wireless interference.

...fourth flight I lost data link at one point for a second and a half and the drone drifted 10 ft in three seconds - nearly crashing into a building but for quick action on my part.
Whew. Great save.
Could you clarify data link issue. Do you mean you lost video?

I assume you had control link working in order to execute "quick action". Could you share what you did to save the flight?

Whew. Great save.
Could you clarify data link issue. Do you mean you lost video?

I assume you had control link working in order to execute "quick action". Could you share what you did to save the flight?
Ok I misinterpreted a bit - turns out I lost GPS - not data link - that was from another flight. I was flying with Litchi - here's the Airdata report + video of the incident. Control lost at six second mark of the video.

UPDATE: I put in the GPS map - bird had no idea where it was.

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 27
  • gps3.jpg
    gps3.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Ok I misinterpreted a bit - turns out I lost GPS - not data link - that was from another flight. I was flying with Litchi - here's the Airdata report + video of the incident. Control lost at six second mark of the video.

UPDATE: I put in the GPS map - bird had no idea where it was.

YIKES!
GPS Shadow below tall buildings!
Probably best to stay in ATTI however Mavic does't allow you to set that so not the best machine in that location as you mention.
Really tricky site for an Inspire.
Wind around buildings can suddenly change and too close to a cement wall like that and the bird can stick to the wall or rotor right into it.
In AirData you can look at their CSV output and review the GPS by the milisecond. I have seen GPS fail for fractions of a second and the sudden in/out of positioning data causes the bird to jump about unexpectedly as it regains/looses signal. Worth a look IMHO
Check out this link:
World Map of Live Satellite Positions - In-The-Sky.org
It can help calculate the shadow over time.
Very wise idea to carry the bird around the site to measure signals before flying!

Reactions: roblevine
YIKES!
GPS Shadow below tall buildings!
Probably best to stay in ATTI however Mavic does't allow you to set that so not the best machine in that location as you mention.
Really tricky site for an Inspire.
Wind around buildings can suddenly change and too close to a cement wall like that and the bird can stick to the wall or rotor right into it.
In AirData you can look at their CSV output and review the GPS by the milisecond. I have seen GPS fail for fractions of a second and the sudden in/out of positioning data causes the bird to jump about unexpectedly as it regains/looses signal. Worth a look IMHO
Check out this link:
World Map of Live Satellite Positions - In-The-Sky.org
It can help calculate the shadow over time.
Very wise idea to carry the bird around the site to measure signals before flying!
Thanks for the link!

Reactions: eldorado

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont