Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hiking with a Pro Drone (DJI Inspire 1 Pro)

I hiked up Pulpit Rock with my Inspire 1! I kind of underestimated the effort required. I had 6 batteries too! The purpose built ruck sack performed flawlessly though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done!!

Thanks.

I plan to do some hiking in Switzerland this summer where I with be using my X5 camera (I have just £200 more to save). The stock X3 is okay but it's so limited. I film in LOG mode and have a decent LUT but I need more control over exposure and I need a better lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good job. Nice footage. What were the temperatures and how did the batteries behave? The specs say use down to 5C. I have a job in the next couple of weeks where overnight temps may get down to zero for a dawn shoot.

Good job. Nice footage. What were the temperatures and how did the batteries behave? The specs say use down to 5C. I have a job in the next couple of weeks where overnight temps may get down to zero for a dawn shoot.

Thanks. At that altitude the temp was a low 4°C (39.2°F). I had 6 TB47's with me in LiPO bags but 2 were too cold and the i1 would not start. The 2 had been in side pockets of my i1 ruck sack and had been exposed to the cold air during the 2 hour hike up the rock. I just put them with my other batteries in the ruck sack and activated a bunch of exothermic hand warmers to get them warm.

I had a scary moment in Iceland back in November due to battery temperature issues so I took no chances this time and went fully prepared. I even let the i1 hover a few feet for five mins before my flight to get everything warm until the temperature warning cleared on the GO app.

The exothermic packs saved the day!

My ruck sack -> Camouflage&Gray Carrying Backpack Back Strap Case Bag For DJI Inspire 1

I had hoped to use my Autoflight Logic Autopilot software to get get some amazing orbit shots but it was too hard to concentrate due to the temperature. I hate flying when it's cold :(

Do you have pictures of your method of carrying it? Is it sustainable over long hikes?

I don't have any pictures of me wearing it as I was by myself but I felt that I was carrying too much. I had to carry plenty of water and food not to mention all the batteries, controller, iPad Air 9.7", camera/gimbal + case etc. The rotor arms poked out so I had to be extra careful when traversing narrow routes and on some parts of the hike I removed the pack from my back and hand carried it. I guess for hill walks it would be fine but Pulpit rock felt more like mountaineering and although the effort required to get to the top was worth it, I can't see myself doing that type of hike again with my Inspire.

I will take some pics later today for you.

I'm quite surprised you're prepared to embark on such an undertaking seeing as you're 116 years of age! That's quite impressive.

That is pretty much how I do it using a Tamrac camera bag. It's a bit heavy but works well.

I don't have any pictures of me wearing it as I was by myself but I felt that I was carrying too much. I had to carry plenty of water and food not to mention all the batteries, controller, iPad Air 9.7", camera/gimbal + case etc. The rotor arms poked out so I had to be extra careful when traversing narrow routes and on some parts of the hike I removed the pack from my back and hand carried it. I guess for hill walks it would be fine but Pulpit rock felt more like mountaineering and although the effort required to get to the top was worth it, I can't see myself doing that type of hike again with my Inspire.

I will take some pics later today for you.

Thanks for the info. I am really leaning towards using a P4 for hiking, but I really want to use the X5. Sigh. Love to see photos.

I'm quite surprised you're prepared to embark on such an undertaking seeing as you're 116 years of age! That's quite impressive.

I make sure to stretch every day, eat lots of protein and get good sleep ;)

-gl

We just started winter. Getting some 0-5C overnights. Bought two Smartcharger battery heaters. They are not much bigger than the battery and very lightweight. Warmed the battery for 10mins as instructed. They say to keep it in the warmer for at least 5 mins, so I just left it in the unit and put it in my pocket. Here is some footage I shot yesterday to test. I got a cold battery warning before I used the heaters. After that, everything was fine. Also testing exposures and colour temp for a dawn shoot next week.

Reactions: Skycamnz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah