Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

"Hopping" when landing

Reaction score
Just wondering if I'm the only one having this problem...

Every time I am landing my bird it likes to throttle a bit and fight the landing. This was an issue on a semi-windy day, I went to land and it hopped up a bit and the wind caught one end of it, it pivoted on one of the legs and spun around a bit, and then toppled over and shredded the props. It seems to give more power as I'm landing, I almost want to just start CSCing it once it's near the ground or buy a hand-catching mount. I have all auto-landing turned off.

Anyone else have this issue? Really sick of it... hopefully I'm doing something wrong so it can be fixed easily.

Mine started doing this a couple of firmware updates ago. Others have reported it too.

It’s unnerving but has never actually caused a problem. It is made worse if the ground isn’t level or there is a strong cross wind. Maybe you where unlucky and had both adverse conditions?

Mine started doing this a couple of firmware updates ago. Others have reported it too.

It’s unnerving but has never actually caused a problem. It is made worse if the ground isn’t level or there is a strong cross wind. Maybe you where unlucky and had both adverse conditions?

Yes, both happened to be the case. But i do a lot of work on wind farms so it will usually be reality for me.... oh well. Just seeing if others had the problem too. Guess i’ll invest in a hand catching rig, i’ve seen a few links floating around this forum

Yes, both happened to be the case. But i do a lot of work on wind farms so it will usually be reality for me.... oh well. Just seeing if others had the problem too. Guess i’ll invest in a hand catching rig, i’ve seen a few links floating around this forum

We have seen similar issues of the I2 wanting to hop when shutting down. This was not always the case and was given to us from a firmware update a few months ago. It happens on my personal I2 which is actually at DJI getting repair work for a separate issue. We will also be flying a factory refurb I2 this week and see if it has the same issues.

FYI, we do carry the DJI Hand Catch handles as well as the Seacraft handles.

We have seen similar issues of the I2 wanting to hop when shutting down. This was not always the case and was given to us from a firmware update a few months ago. It happens on my personal I2 which is actually at DJI getting repair work for a separate issue. We will also be flying a factory refurb I2 this week and see if it has the same issues.

FYI, we do carry the DJI Hand Catch handles as well as the Seacraft handles.

Hahah, shameless plug... i'll check em thanks

edit: Christ!!! $140.00?? What's different from yours to the Seacraft

We like them both and did a comparison here.

DJI vs Secraft: Hand Catch Handle Options
I watch my I2 untill the motors come to a complete stop. If I see that it lifts the legs I give it opposite imput from my controller to return the lifting legs back to the ground. Yes, it is unnerving. It has been "introduced" since about two FWs back. Being fully allert and in control upon touch down is now part of my manual landing routine procedure.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Are you quickly bringing the throttle all the way down once the landing gear touches the ground? If not, then the rpms will stay up and the bird may think it's still supposed to be flying.

A lot of people had similar issues way back in the P2 days where the P2 wouldn't 'settle when landing. Also if you're new to RC flying.

As soon as you touch ground bring that throttle stick all the way down.

Having the same issue. Happening as a right side lift only. Wondering if others are happening on the other side.

If I do a quick shutdown as soon as it touches down it doesn’t happen all the time.

Just wondering if I'm the only one having this problem...

Every time I am landing my bird it likes to throttle a bit and fight the landing. This was an issue on a semi-windy day, I went to land and it hopped up a bit and the wind caught one end of it, it pivoted on one of the legs and spun around a bit, and then toppled over and shredded the props. It seems to give more power as I'm landing, I almost want to just start CSCing it once it's near the ground or buy a hand-catching mount. I have all auto-landing turned off.

Anyone else have this issue? Really sick of it... hopefully I'm doing something wrong so it can be fixed easily.
I have the same issue the motors pulse (rev up) slightly before cut off. It really makes it difficult to land without the bird wanting to flip over. It's only a problem on windy days.

I wonder whether what you guys are seeing is "ground effect" -- that is, when a copter is close to the ground (say, 18" or less depending on its size) it creates a bubble of compressed air beneath the copter and through which the copter has to descend in order to touch down -- the ground effect gets stronger from 18" until touchdown when it's at its worst. This has the effect of making the copter very buoyant and it's very easy for the aircraft to hop back up into the air at the slightest provocation -- so I always find that I have to pull the throttle to zero rapidly on touchdown and hold it there.

A cross wind just exacerbates the problem as it pushes the compression bubble back under the copter but asymmetrically making it pretty unstable.

Anyway, just a thought.
Andy

Thanks Andy. It's not really a hop it's that the motors start to shut off and then surge up for just a second and then shut off. This all happens after the bird is on the ground. It's really not noticeable unless it's windy.

Same with the I1P. Originally (2015) you cross controlled in the bottom corners & the motors stopped almost instantly. A few firmwares updates ago they added some sought of lag but also the cross control doesn’t stop the motors. All I do now is pull the throttle fully back , it seems to rev up a bit then stop. All seems a bit messy, the original design seemed better.

Same with the I1P. Originally (2015) you cross controlled in the bottom corners & the motors stopped almost instantly. A few firmwares updates ago they added some sought of lag but also the cross control doesn’t stop the motors. All I do now is pull the throttle fully back , it seems to rev up a bit then stop. All seems a bit messy, the original design seemed better.
From my experience the effect is less pronounced when I bring the throttle stick down very slowly and not rapidly or fast. I just throttle down gently and hold the stick there for 3 or so seconds untill the motors stop. But I watch the bird all the time and immediatelly apply opposite imput if I see that one or two legs lift off the the ground and bring them down.

You can try to land on ATT mode. I use it werever there is too much wind or the ground is not level. The throttle behaviour at landing is "less automatic" when in Att mode.

The I2 only started cocking one leg up before the motors stop after a f/w update earlier this year. Before that, it wasn’t an issue. Hopefully DJI will fix this soon.

I have noticed this one time when landing on a slight incline. The rear two legs were 2 inch lower than the front.
Left stick slowly moved fully back, aircraft landed on all four legs, then two rear motors powered up.
The front legs stayed on the ground and the rear of the aircraft lifted up by the rear motors so that the aircraft was horizontal.
Then the motors slowed and stopped, aircraft back on all 4 legs again.

I would surmise that the level attitude algorithm is kicking in during the power down command.

This has never happened when I land on flat horizontal ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool