How to fix "MF mode, auto focus disabled" error with Olympus M.Zuiko lenses

Reaction score
The first time I tried to use my Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm lens, I touched the screen to have it focus, and I got this error:
The app was in auto-focus mode, and the lens doesn't have an AF/MF switch like the DJI 15mm lens does. But the lens was, in fact, in manual-focus mode. As it turns out, the Olympus M.Zuiko lenses have a "snap ring" that changes between manual focus and auto focus modes.

When the focus ring is snapped away from the front of the lens, it reveals a distance scale, indicating that it is in manual-focus mode:

And when the focus ring is snapped toward the front of the lens, it covers the distance scale, indicating that it is in auto-focus mode:

So I snapped the ring toward the lens, putting it in auto-focus mode. I was then able to focus by touching on the screen as expected.

AFAIK, that is only a characteristic of the M.Zuiko 17 mm lens. My M.Zuiko 12 mm f/2 has a AF/MF switch. I'm getting the 25 mm Oly tomorrow, so I will be sure to check.

My Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm does not have an AF/MF switch; it has this snap ring. As does my 17mm. My 25mm and 45mm have neither.

My Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm does not have an AF/MF switch; it has this snap ring. As does my 17mm. My 25mm and 45mm have neither.

Gaak! You're right! I just checked. I confused it with the DJI 15 mm lens, which does have a AF/MF switch (which is ironic, in a way, since you can turn it on or off in the app).

Thanks for the heads up. I suppose all M.Zuikos are like this?

have you tested 17 and 25mm on the x5 yet? is it workable?
I am planning on getting the x5/x5r but am held back by the limited 3 lenses

I tried the 17mm lens. Without an ND filter, it caused the gimbal motors to vibrate and make a lot of noise. With the B+W 0.9 (3-stop) ND filter, the vibration and sound went away.

I haven't tried the 25mm lens; I think the 17mm lens is too narrow already!

cool, I never knew about this been banging my head over it too!

Thanks, you just saved me a lot of knob dicking! Solved my issue.

Oh my gosh you just solved a few days of banging my head as well!! Thank you!! I've been running the 12mm for 9 months with no issues and somehow I must have moved the snap ring last week. I discovered it as I was testing my new SSD setup on the X5S along with new firmware. Whew, that could have been a long time hunting between all of those things. THANK YOU!!!!!

Nice to know what so on the 15mm Dji lens... yes I know there is the AF / MF button, but on the appeture ring there is all the numbers, AND also a red A.. What is the meen with that A ??