Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How to shut off motors hand catching on a boat

Reaction score
Hi guys quick question!! What’s the correct procedure for shutting off the motors on i2 after the aircraft has been hand caught on a boat? I have a job on this weekend shooting orcas in Iceland for the BBC. I’ve had a few practise runs at hand launch and catch from dry land land but have been told by a colleague that if the boat is moving you have to switch into atti to shut the motors down or perform an emergency shutdown? Left stick in and RTH at the same time? My questions are, A: which is better and do they reliably both work? and B: do I need to turn something on in the app to activate the emergency shutdown and if so, where is it?? Many thanks guys!!!

First off I hope you have the handles installed! As for the motor shut off, I would just use the throttle down for 3 sec. It works in P as well as Atti mode. No other emergency shut down is required. The person catching should wear hard hat and protective gloves just to be safe.

According to the manual in previous models it was the two sticks down and to the center. For the Inspire 2 the emergency engine stop is left stick down right and press the right button (landing gear). A greeting

Be careful about hand catching on a boat.
I’ve just remembered a video where they had trouble stopping the motors, presumably because the inspire refused to stop because it was “detecting” movement.

Here’s the link:

It’s around 3:50

Sorry about my English, not my mother’s language but please be very careful with the inspire in that situation.

Our experience is that, unlike the very well behaved I1, the I2 will fight you. I hand-catch with the gear up by grabbing the battery section from below. I have to turn the auto-gear off because if the gear comes down I'm in trouble. Then I just hang onto it until it stops fighting. I've never had any scares or problems, but I've got big strong hands and it's just trapped in a vice 'till it quits. I have plenty of strength reserve left when holding it. My partner thinks I'm nuts.

Reactions: snicko79
I shoot at least twenty 30min TV fishing shows a year using a Mavic Pro, P3P, P4P+ & Inspire 1 Pro, in my experience you really need to use the emergency shutdown on the P4P & the Inspires as the aircraft detects the movement of the boat & tries to hold is GPS position at the point that the sticks are centred. This can be very dangerous not only to the catcher but everyone on the boat, the motors on the P4P & the Inspires are stronger than the P3P & Mavic Pro which are quite easy to hold for the 2-3 seconds it takes for the CSC to initiate whereas the emergency shutdown is almost instant. I always turn of all sensors & auto landing gear, The obstacle avoidance makes it virtually impossible to hand catch on a boat & the vision positioning can make the aircraft unpredictable with all the water & boat movement I always start my landing approach at 50% battery so if something delays the landing averting is OK & land vertically never come in horizontally as this minimises the chance of injury as you are at the possible impact height for only the very last moment of landing.

This is just from my personal experience & hand catching any UAV is very dangerous, we may have 10 fingers but only have 2 eyes & I like both of mine so safety is the most important thing, don't rush the landing if its not lining up perfectly go around again (50% battery) & restart the approach until it does, if the conditions have changed to the point where it is unsafe to catch the aircraft have a backup like a very soft object or net to force land on we have a half filled bean bag just for that purpose a few broken props (which has not happened yet) are better the a few sliced fingers.

Hi Paul,

I've been the DP of a NatGeo-Production about the Ochotzkh sea and I've been doing this for more than two years. Same experience, Inspire 1 was no problem at all, I2 fights you, depending on waves and the resulting up-down-movements. And you better use the emergency procedure to stopp the engines. Use thick rubber gloves to catch it and protect your eyes with a ski mask. I witnessed a german producer at Lofoten Islands/Norway losing three of his fingertips.

Cheers and all the best for your work!

Oliver

Hi Guys, regarding catching Inspire 2, I have a client that has Previously used a company that would catch the Phantom 4 from a boat. They would like to use our company, but are asking if we could catch off of a boat. We suggested that we pull up and set up on a shore.
I personally think we could learn how to do this, but seriously question how are insurance company would handle a mishap. I dare say we would be covered if we stated we where going to be catching the drone by hand.
I would like any thoughts regarding this.
They area big corporation, so perhaps someone may have a suggestion as to how we should explain to them that catching that drone would negate most insurance policies.
Appreciate any input!

Disable all landing gear automation, turn on CSC. Be very very careful. If you don't set it right and catch the body, the legs will come down before motors are off and cut your fingers.
If set correctly, You can catch it with one hand. Then lower the legs manually with the remote.

Hi Guys, regarding catching Inspire 2, I have a client that has Previously used a company that would catch the Phantom 4 from a boat. They would like to use our company, but are asking if we could catch off of a boat. We suggested that we pull up and set up on a shore.
I personally think we could learn how to do this, but seriously question how are insurance company would handle a mishap. I dare say we would be covered if we stated we where going to be catching the drone by hand.
They area big corporation, so perhaps someone may have a suggestion as to how we should explain to them that catching that drone would negate most insurance policies.
Appreciate any input!
Providing you do not have any stipulation within your ops manual that you will not hand catch and providing there is no specific “Hand Catch” exclusion within your insurance policy wording then an insurance company will have no legal right to refuse cover.

Appreciate any input!
Forgot to say that you should start and land in atti mode! Don't try it in GPS mode! You will fight the drone trying to hold the position while you are moving!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool