Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 hitting 2 miles

Reaction score
Hi am hitting 2 miles with my i2 . my bird signal is 100% but my HD signal dropping to 2 bars left ! how can I make it better ? [emoji120]

Reactions: LLochridge
Hi am hitting 2 miles with my i2 . my bird signal is 100% but my HD signal dropping to 2 bars left ! how can I make it better ? [emoji120]
Since you are UK based the legal limit is 500m distance or VLOS and 400ft agl.
We do not advocate breaking any countries SUAV laws (which you have already done at 2 miles distance & 4 miles with your Mavic) on the forum.
Additionally, you have already crashed your I2 in a densely populated/urban environment which is case in point.

Restrictions are only going to become more onerous post November this year (with the introduction of CAP1789 and aircraft certification after that), without people flying idiotic distances like >2 miles/3.2km.

I'm afraid it is individuals like yourself who have been responsible for ruining the hobby for many in this country and forced the CAA/EASA to implement tougher rules.

I would respectfully suggest you familiarize yourself with both the UK laws regarding SUAS operation and adhere to them, together with a full understanding of your aircraft which has a MTOM of over 4kg and enough kinetic energy at full velocity to kill someone should it hit them!
From November this year you will be required to register your aircraft and undergo mandatory safety training/testing.

Since you are UK based the legal limit is 500m distance or VLOS and 400ft agl.
We do not advocate breaking any countries SUAV laws (which you have already done at 2 miles distance & 4 miles with your Mavic) on the forum.
Additionally, you have already crashed your I2 in a densely populated/urban environment which is case in point.

Restrictions are only going to become more onerous post November this year and with the introduction of CAP1789 and aircraft certification after that, without people flying idiotic distances like >2 miles/3.2km.

I'm afraid it is individuals like yourself who have been responsible for ruining the hobby for many in this country and forced the CAA/EASA to implement tougher rules.

I would respectfully suggest you familiarize yourself with both the UK laws regarding SUAS operation and adhere to them, together with a full understanding of your aircraft which has a MTOM of over 4kg and enough kinetic energy at full velocity to kill someone should it hit them!
From November this year you will be required to register your aircraft and undergo mandatory safety training/testing.
All of the above (right and true) arguments aside, I still don't understand the purpose of flying BVLOS just for adrenaline rushing fun. I may, however, understand the urge to fly reasonably further than draconic laws allow in order to - say - take a picture of an landscape at the angle otherwise impossible to manage.

Last edited:
All of the above (right and true) arguments aside, I still don't understand the purpose of flying BVLOS just for adrenaline rushing fun. I may, however, understand the urge to fly reasonably further than draconic laws allow in order to - say - take a picture of an landscape at the angle otherwise impossible to manage.

Hi . Am sorry [emoji52]. Yes I don’t no the rules I fly at 400 ft and I go were she takes me . I like to get the most out of my toys. I will sell my drones and get a pushbike.sorry for any trouble

Re: VLOS...

Look....I hate to rant...but I get so tired of the VLOS stuff.

As a drone professional for over 5 years, I can tell you that almost every facet of drone money making requires flight beyond VLOS. Try mapping 2,000 acres without going out beyond VLOS. That'll turn a 1-week, 5-launch-point project into a 2 month, 100-launch point project. Forget it.

Or try telling a film director that his car chase can go no farther than 1,000' away from the director's chair. You'll never work again.

To this day, about 80% of my work is VLOS, but a good portion is not. I don't go out beyond VLOS because I think it's fun. I do it because that's the only way I can deliver a product in a timely and cost-effective manner. And I have seen ZERO evidence to support the erroneous assumption that "VLOS is safer." Zero. I just see a bunch of guys jumping up and down, screaming from the highest mountain top that "VLOS is safer!!" without a single shred of evidence to support that assertion. There are literally zero statistics to show how many drone incidents occur beyond VLOS.

IMHO, TELEMETRY data is my greatest safety ally. I flew gasser helicopters long BEFORE there was telemetry. And believe me, there are plenty of times that that blip on the screen would've saved hundreds of dollars in crashed helicopter parts.

I personally rely on telemetry data far more than VLOS for vehicle distance and orientation. And if I lose telemetry, the drone comes home...100% of the time. That said, I can't remember the last time I lost telemetry data that wasn't a planned loss during a "connectionless" waypoint mission that purposely brought the bird OUT and back IN to connection. Just ask any military Predator drone pilot about that one.

Advocate VLOS if you wish. That's your choice. But don't chastise those of us who have to fly out beyond VLOS to make a living. My safety record is perfect. Other than minor drone damage, no other damage has been done to people or property. For whatever reason, that statistic is perpetually dismissed. That said...

Re: Video reception...

I suggest the 32 channel hack for better video reception. For me, it was a total game changer and dare I say a life saver. I use it on all my drones and have received video reception as far as almost 2 miles out.

D

Last edited:

As a drone professional for over 5 years, I can tell you that almost every facet of drone money making requires flight beyond VLOS. Try mapping 2,000 acres without going out beyond VLOS. That'll turn a 1-week, 5-launch-point project into a 2 month, 100-launch point project. Forget it.

Or try telling a film director that his car chase can go no farther than 1,000' away from the director's chair. You'll never work again.

To this day, about 80% of my work is VLOS, but a good portion is not. I don't go out beyond VLOS because I think it's fun. I do it because that's the only way I can deliver a product in a timely and cost-effective manner. And I have seen ZERO evidence to support the erroneous assumption that "VLOS is safer." Zero. I just see a bunch of guys jumping up and down, screaming from the highest mountain top that "VLOS is safer!!" without a single shred of evidence to support that assertion. There are literally zero statistics to show how many drone incidents occur beyond VLOS.

IMHO, TELEMETRY data is my greatest safety advocate. I flew gasser helicopters long BEFORE there was telemetry. And believe me, there are plenty of times that that blip on the screen would've saved hundreds of dollars in crashed helicopter parts.

I personally rely on telemetry data far more than VLOS for vehicle distance and orientation. And if I lose telemetry, the drone comes home...100% of the time. That said, I can't remember the last time I lost telemetry data that wasn't a planned loss during a "connectionless" waypoint mission that purposely brought the bird OUT and back IN to connection. Just ask any military Predator drone pilot about that one.

Advocate VLOS if you wish. That's your choice. But don't chastise those of us who have to fly out beyond VLOS to make a living. My safety record is perfect. Other than minor drone damage, no other damage has been done to people or property. For whatever reason, that statistic is perpetually dismissed. That said...

I suggest the 32 channel hack for better video reception. For me, it was a total game changer and dare I say a life saver. I use it on all my drones and have received video reception as far as almost 2 miles out.

D
But you are not in the UK where the OP is.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the UK UAV laws are just that. They are not 'rules' or 'regulations' but actual law passed by an act of Parliament.
Breaking those laws can mean an unlimited fine and up to 5 years in prison (or both).

The USA is still the Wild West.:D

Well am hitting over 2 miles ? More around 2.6 miles just wanted more ! And am on low ground .bit highter ground mite do better .

IMHO, TELEMETRY data is my greatest safety advocate. I flew gasser helicopters long BEFORE there was telemetry. And believe me, there are plenty of times that that blip on the screen would've saved hundreds of dollars in crashed helicopter parts.

D

Can you not get a waiver from the FAA when you need to fly beyond VLOS? Just curious. :)

.......To this day, about 80% of my work is VLOS, but a good portion is not. I don't go out beyond VLOS because I think it's fun. I do it because that's the only way I can deliver a product in a timely and cost-effective manner.......

@Donnie Frank , I take it you’re a 14 CFR Part 107 Remote Pilot?

And you freely admit, in an open, public forum, that you regularly violate 107.31?

I’m sure you simply failed to mention that during these activities, you use a Visual Observer (107.33) to satisfy (107.31 b2).

Right?

;)

A number of years ago I had twin fixed wing we successfully ground tested for video and control to 6 miles and on paper we figured 20-25 at least. I fly an I2 and fully understand Donnie's argument and respect his point of view, though I am not in agreement. VLOS is all about safety. I have had near misses with power lines and small trees when flying out a ways. VLOS also deals with flying beyond return (ie wind, new rain issue, etc). It has been a big deal for the FAA to open the door to commercial flight. I have no problem respecting their regs. And my clients are also careful to make sure all images are legal or else they could have corporate issues.

Do not toss your stuff. Glad you are not hacking it. Fly legal.....

D
Agree 100%, Donnie. And that's exactly what I've said. VLOS or not, there are places out there impossible to reach otherwise, where I want to set my camera on. And that's the only reason why I invested 35K in equipment. I will hesitate to fly BVLOS around Manhattan, but in remote wilderness??? Chase me, cuff me and put me in The Tower, please :) ...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips