Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 Main Controller Error during Hollywood Production

Reaction score
Flying Inspire 2 with X5S with DJI lens on a fairly large budget Hollywood Production today. Made 3 passes on first set of batteries just fine and client loving the shots.

Perfect landing, switched batteries and can't take off due to "Main Controller data error" tried new battery pair, reformatting everything, factory reset and full calibration but still throwing issues and won't allow for take-off.

I've reflashed the firmware several times but with no luck. On the up side they loved the first take and are happy with what we already captured. So canceled the rest of the drone shots.

Now I'm back home hunting through discussion boards on how to fix it, and what to do if it ever comes up again during a professional shoot. Where is the SD located inside the I2 and can I just pull it and swap it for a new one like previous DJI drones? Because this can NOT happen again on another shoot.

Flying Inspire 2 with X5S with DJI lens on a fairly large budget Hollywood Production today. Made 3 passes on first set of batteries just fine and client loving the shots.

Perfect landing, switched batteries and can't take off due to "Main Controller data error" tried new battery pair, reformatting everything, factory reset and full calibration but still throwing issues and won't allow for take-off.

I've reflashed the firmware several times but with no luck. On the up side they loved the first take and are happy with what we already captured. So canceled the rest of the drone shots.

Now I'm back home hunting through discussion boards on how to fix it, and what to do if it ever comes up again during a professional shoot. Where is the SD located inside the I2 and can I just pull it and swap it for a new one like previous DJI drones? Because this can NOT happen again on another shoot.

Besides the micro SD and SSD card there is no other SD you can just remove and replace. It sounds like you have some sort of hard failure. You may have to send it back to DJI for evaluation. It is odd that this would just happen without any type of incident or crash.

Besides the micro SD and SSD card there is no other SD you can just remove and replace. It sounds like you have some sort of hard failure. You may have to send it back to DJI for evaluation. It is odd that this would just happen without any type of incident or crash.
Ugh I was afraid of that... Thanks

I would probably try to do a factory reset and IMU calibration again before starting the troubleshooting and repair ticket with DJI.
Hey thanks for the help and advice. Took a few days on my own but finally got the combo that worked! Rolled the firmware back with a laptop then updated with a cell phone seems to be the trick for some reason...

...Rolled the firmware back with a laptop then updated with a cell phone seems to be the trick for some reason...

Can you be a bit more specific about what you rolled back on what etc., so that if we have the same issue we can try what you did? Your explanation lacks specific details as to what you rolled back and what you updated. The controller, the I2, both, etc? What firmware versions were the final ones on both devices? It might help any of us should we get the same failure.

Reactions: rdweaver
I just wanted to give you my 2 cents of advice. Do not go to any film set without a spare aircraft especially with DJI products. I know it is a big investment to have 2 I2 and 2 x5s but imagine how professional you would looked after you had that problem and you just pulled your spare bird and continue with the planned shots. I have been flying in big and small budget film productions and I never go to set without my spare kit. There is just too much on the table to leave to chance.

I just wanted to give you my 2 cents of advice. Do not go to any film set without a spare aircraft especially with DJI products. I know it is a big investment to have 2 I2 and 2 x5s but imagine how professional you would looked after you had that problem and you just pulled your spare bird and continue with the planned shots. I have been flying in big and small budget film productions and I never go to set without my spare kit. There is just too much on the table to leave to chance.
Utterly, completely, absolutely my first reaction... “Where is the backup???” We’ve got 3 X7 equipped fully licensed Inspires because with only 2, if one is out for repair/service, we couldn’t take a job. And, if you’re playing at the “Hollywood” level, that single job should almost pay for the backup machine. They want perfection, guaranteed, and know they have to pay for that. Even if you crash they don’t want to hear about it. They want your backup in the air in 2 minutes.

Utterly, completely, absolutely my first reaction... “Where is the backup???” We’ve got 3 X7 equipped fully licensed Inspires because with only 2, if one is out for repair/service, we couldn’t take a job. And, if you’re playing at the “Hollywood” level, that single job should almost pay for the backup machine. They want perfection, guaranteed, and know they have to pay for that. Even if you crash they don’t want to hear about it. They want your backup in the air in 2 minutes.

Yep. 100%

My thoughts too, we only do low budget commercial shoots but still have 100% backup kit.

Even the best of kit can go wrong so you should be prepared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44