Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 Questions, new owner

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Just purchased a new I2 w/x4s camera. Couple of questions I have...if you don't mind.

Issue 1. When I startup the I2 without the camera attached I get an Air Encoder error in the GO4 app. When the camera is attached error goes away. But what if you were to fly FPV and did not have a bottom camera you would have an error showing? ...tech person said I should not have an air encoder error.

Issue 2. GO4 4.0.6 also states Optical Avoidance disabled landing gear down. Is this correct?

Not being familiar with optical avoidance systems I decided to call DJI support to see...Everything was updated to the newest firmware and GO4 app. 1st tech asked me a few questions regarding aircraft rev. 01.0.0240 and he said I did not have the latest update. He asked that I use assistant 2 and do an update and it may correct my issues. I asked what should FW# be and he said it should start with a "1" and I said its 01.0.240 he said that's not right no zero. So I did the download again. Now everything is still the same...and I still get the same error messages.

I call back again and explain this all over to another tech (this time a female tech) I told her I just got done reinstalling the FW again and did not change my errors...she said I need to do the vision calibration and it will fix my problems. She said she had several people with the same issues I have and that will correct it. Well tried that but it did not work as everything is disabled in landing mode. So that was a waste..

So now I call back again (3rd time) and talk to a 3rd tech! He said we exhausted all the troubleshooting and since you just bought it to return it to the store for a refund or exchange. I ask him if they were having much problems with the I2 and he said we are working on it. So I guess that means YES.

Now I like this system and I want to keep it but maybe wait a bit longer to buy another one. Setting here looking at it. I decided to turn it on and lifted it up in the air holding the bottom of the I2 (no props installed) and I manually raised the landing gear and poof! errors went away and optical avoidance grid shows up in the FPV camera window. So now I'm thinking maybe its not broke after all and I wasted all morning (and on hold) talking to 3 DJI techs for nothing. Maybe I'm just an idiot for not understanding it, but if was not broke why did the techs not tell me this. Anyways I'm not sure still about it...what say you?

and thanks for reading!

Issue 1) I have the same error when no camera is fitted and this is a known to the DJI development team If you want to fly without camera just ignore the warning. A new version of firmware is currently being beta tested so should see it in a few days and hope error will have gone

Issue 2) When landing gear is down the OA will automatically disable as you wont be able to land if it sees the ground!! If you fly with the gear up the OA will keep working almost down to the deck.

No idea who the "tech" was but the version is 01.00.0240 maybe his "script" has a spelling mistake. ;)

As for firmware... when you start DJI GO 4 and get to the page where it shows the photo of the I2 wait until the message on the top left of the screen says collecting firmware version, and finally says up to date before you press GO FLY. If it says different it will tell you how to fix it.

Go FLY and enjoy the I2 (and maybe do a search on the DJI Forum in future if you have a issue the air encoder error has its own thread there)

Air encoder error issue already covered.....
Air Encoder Error

Don't listen to anything DJI "Tech" tell you.
Most of them do not even know what day of the week it is and their answer to everything is 'Do an IMU and compass calibration' to get rid of you.
They have also given out very bad and erroneous 'advice' before.

Reactions: rocstudios
Thanks for the replies! Just another quick note... when the 2nd tech ask me to do a vision calibration which I tried but it did not work as the system did not even see the dotted chart I held up in front of it when I ran the assistant 2 and had plugged in to the I2. Drone was in landing mode everything on. The calibration app would not even proceed and said "if your missing chart or don't have on click here" which was grayed out to even continue so I just quit. Anyways I'm not as bothered by doing that test as the craft never has been bumped around. Just was wondering what I might have done wrong to not have it work correctly?

Don't worry, be happy! Like the others have said, the messages you were getting were perfectly normal. Be thankful that the stuff DJI tech wanted you to do didn't work as they'd probably have got you to screw up a fully working I2!

The vision system disables when the gear is lowered as it can 'see' the landing gear in that position and it could give it false signals. It's 100% normal.

As to calibrating the vps with the dot card, *when* you need to do it, follow the instructions in the I2's instruction manual or DJI' online video and you'll get it to work. You probably missed something like flicking the switch to change the USB port to PC mode on the I2. I've not had to calibrate the vps in many hours of flying a P4 and I2.

Sometimes we tend to overthink 'problems' and end up creating more by trying to fix things that aren't broken. Sometimes a deluge of well meaning, but essentially superfluous 'warning' messages doesn't help either, and at the moment the I2 seems a bit 'warning message' happy.

Reactions: Viper Pilot
Hey go be a big boy and fly your new love... tell us about it later.

Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right...maybe being to much of a worry wart! I'll put my pants back on and take it for a ride in the next day or so :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop