Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

IACRA Application Online?

Reaction score
I completed the Part 107 Course at FAASafety.gov I have a PPL with Single/Multi and a BFR dated January 2016. Has anyone figured out how to apply for the 107 via IACRA? It either isn't possible yet, or I don't know how to make it give me the sUAS option.

Reactions: GuyNamedLindsey
I just took the course online and got the certificate. Not sure what you're asking exactly.
The certificate you get at the end doesn't let you do anything; it's just a piece of the information required for the application package for Remote Pilot in Command.

I do not see it in IACRA yet. It would be possible to do a paper 8710 application and mail it in.
I don't see it in IACRA either. I guess it's time to do an 8710 and get that going.

What I've found so far.

As with others, I completed the 107 online course (the test even had a question about the airspace where I fly for a living: 41/13 Savannah!). Went to IACRA after and couldn't find anything either.

Chapter 6 of AC-107-2 outlines the application processes. Of note, at the top of 6-2, the AC states that "Remote Pilot" will be listed under "Certifications" in the IACRA application. It is not (yet).

AC-107-2 published 21 June here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/ac_107-2_afs-1_signed.pdf

The AC also states that in lieu of the online IACRA application, an applicant can fill out a hard-copy FAA Form 8710-13,
"Remote Pilot Certificate and/or Rating Application". Have not found that form yet, either.
The 8710-1 has nothing pertaining to "Remote Pilots" that I could find.

So, we hurry up and wait, but I did notice at the top of the below link, the ALERT states that, "The instructions on this webpage will be effective in August 2016". More waiting, no worries.

Becoming a Pilot

Guess we'll just have to wait on IACRA to be updated and the 8710-13 to be published.
Advise if you know otherwise.

60M

Last edited:
It specifically states in all the Part 107 documentation that the IACRA and forms will not be available until the end of August.

I have my Part 107 Certificate but can't do much till then.

I don't think one can do the application w/o passing the Part 107 test at a CATS testing center. After you pass, THEN you can apply as it asks for your cert # unless I am missing something. (which is totally possible) Scheduled to take my test on the 31st.

Testing center is for New Pilots and Pilots who don't like online I guess. Otherwise if you are already in possession of an Airman Certificate you can get your 107 (short course and Cert) online. Once you pass that, existing pilots can use the FAA IACRA to apply. Still have not seen option on IACRA like others, but the paper form 8710–13 is now finally available. However they mention for faster processing to file online with IACRA which is not available...confused yet? Maybe when we all flood the FSDO with paper forms, maybe it will be ready before the 29th :)

I don't think one can do the application w/o passing the Part 107 test at a CATS testing center. After you pass, THEN you can apply as it asks for your cert # unless I am missing something. (which is totally possible) Scheduled to take my test on the 31st.

That's only for non FAA Pilots- private/commercial.

I talked to my buddy who is an FAA Inspector - he said it will be on IACRA soon - and all we do is the same thing on IACRA as we did on our checkrides - log in fill it out, sign out. He will log in and do his thing. He said the certificate that I printed from the FAA website I can trash or put on my wall if it makes me feel better as he doesn't need it.

That's only for non FAA Pilots- private/commercial.

A currently certified pilot has two choice. He can take the online test, currently available, present this certificate along with proof of a flight review within the last two years, his or her pilot certificate and a government issued photo id. If the pilot is not currently active the requirement to complete a flight review may be undesirable. The certifying CFI, DPE or Inspector will certify that you have presented this information to him and will sign your IACRA application electronically. If you use a DPE or Inspector, they will destroy your current pilot certificate and issue you a temporary. If you use an CFI he will not issue a temporary as it will be emailed to you within a few day, the CFI will therefore not destroy your current certificate.

Option two is to just take the test at a CATS or other testing center every two year. This still requires an IACRA application, but since the testing center has certified your identity you will not need to take the test results to a certifying officer. Instead you will be able to process your own application online through IACRA.

In all cases you will end up with a temporary certificate that will be present to you by the DPE or Inspector, or emailed to you if you take the CATS test or have you application certified by an CFI. The temporary is good for only 120 days.

Within the 120 day you should receive a pilot certificate in the mail.

Remember, in all cases you will need to be vetted by the TSA.

... He said the certificate that I printed from the FAA website I can trash or put on my wall if it makes me feel better as he doesn't need it.

He is incorrect. While this may be exactly what he intends to do, this is not what he is required to do. But hey, he is an inspector, he can do whatever he wants.

A currently certified pilot has two choice. He can take the online test, currently available, present this certificate along with proof of a flight review within the last two years, his or her pilot certificate and a government issued photo id. If the pilot is not currently active the requirement to complete a flight review may be undesirable. The certifying CFI, DPE or Inspector will certify that you have presented this information to him and will sign your IACRA application electronically. If you use a DPE or Inspector, they will destroy your current pilot certificate and issue you a temporary. If you use an CFI he will not issue a temporary as it will be emailed to you within a few day, the CFI will therefore not destroy your current certificate.

Option two is to just take the test at a CATS or other testing center every two year. This still requires an IACRA application, but since the testing center has certified your identity you will not need to take the test results to a certifying officer. Instead you will be able to process your own application online through IACRA.

In all cases you will end up with a temporary certificate that will be present to you by the DPE or Inspector, or emailed to you if you take the CATS test or have you application certified by an CFI. The temporary is good for only 120 days.

Within the 120 day you should receive a pilot certificate in the mail.

Remember, in all cases you will need to be vetted by the TSA.

He is incorrect. While this may be exactly what he intends to do, this is not what he is required to do. But hey, he is an inspector, he can do whatever he wants.

Yeah he pretty does what he wants :) as you said he is the FAA. I'll be sure to bring it in any event.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah