Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I'm getting very frustrated and hope for some help.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm up and flying again. Well, at least my eyes are up to the task, but my poor inspire isn't.

I'm having a really bad time with weak signal transmission issues. I send the drone up, it flies for a few minutes if lucky, and then starts telling me I have weak signal, or just tells me I have no signal. When I have a weak signal, the drone flies erratically. Whichever direction it's going (including up and down), it flies, and stops, and flies, and stops, and again and again and again etc. The video lags terribly, and won't take photos or allow me to change the camera settings.
Most times, it just tells me that I have no signal, and instead of waiting 10 seconds or so before returning home like it used to, now it shows no signal, and a second later, it automatically returns home.
On other threads, I've seen people mention checking the antenna wires, but have no idea what to look for, or how to check them.

Any constructive help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

Reactions: AndrewH
If the the controller has been dropped or bumped hard the connections could have come loose. you may want to open it up to check but I'm sure it voids the warranty.

If you do open the controler look at the points that the connections are made at from wire to wire and wire to chip board. if the solder is broken in any place that could be an issue.

Also what firmware, Device, and Device OS edition are you running?

Hi AutoAir,

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't bumped the controller at all. Plus, I definitely would not want to void my warranty.

I'm using a galaxy tab 10.5" with all the latest firmware on each controller, tab and craft.

What about trying to swap my master and slave controllers? Any idea if that would work, or if the problem is in the craft, not the controller and it's a waste of time?

If I should try it, how do I go about doing that?

Take a look at the pins that connect the battery to the AC, there are 4 small spring loaded ones and two large tabs.
See if any of them are bent or out of alignment.

Hi Aviator,

All the pins look fine (not bent or out of alignment, although the large right flat pin looks lower than the large left flat pin. Is this normal?
Plus, if there's an issue with the battery, why would I have a problem with a weak signal?

Yes that lower flat pin is normal.
I suspected a power short because you are losing both video and control signals are you not?

I assume you have done an IMU calibration and a sticks calibration?
Hi Aviator,

I'm not losing power, but I am losing ability to control the craft for seconds at a time. If there was a power short in the I1, wouldn't the whole craft lose power?

Yup, I've done an IMU and stick calibration.

I was more concerned with arcing on the connections.
Looking closely at your image, there appears to be signs of arcing on the top, right hand corner of the lower tab.
Might be worth a closer look?tabs2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. I see that now. There is one tiny arc spot. I think if it was recurring short, there would more arcing.

Take a peak inside the battery connector with a flashlight, see if you have any debri stuck in there, if you have try popping it out with a wooden toothpick or similar.
Also see it the pin that sits against that side of the tab is intact (not melted)

I just checked, and each of the 3 batteries has the same arc mark in the same location on the connector.
Although I could be wrong, but I think that this doesn't impact the weak transmission signal I'm getting.

FYI, here's the thread on checking the antenna connectors in the aircraft:

Signal drop out help | DJI Inspire Forum

Also, check to make sure the antennas on the remote are screwed in tight, are vertical and pointed at the aircraft.

However, if the craft flies erratically in GPS mode while the weak signal problem is happening, I think it's something in the aircraft, perhaps a power problem. It's not clear to me that the marks on the battery tabs shown in the photo are arc marks, though. There appears to be similar, slighter vertical marks evenly spaced on both tabs, which I think are just rub marks from the contacts inside the slot on the batteries and the lighting of the photo makes the right-hand one stand out more.

You might try cleaning the battery tabs and slots. Perhaps they've become dirty over time and reduce the power available to the aircraft, resulting in erratic flight and weak signal reception. I'm no expert, though, and definitely be careful cleaning the live slots on each battery.

mTp

FYI, here's the thread on checking the antenna connectors in the aircraft:

Signal drop out help | DJI Inspire Forum

Also, check to make sure the antennas on the remote are screwed in tight, are vertical and pointed at the aircraft.

However, if the craft flies erratically in GPS mode while the weak signal problem is happening, I think it's something in the aircraft, perhaps a power problem. It's not clear to me that the marks on the battery tabs shown in the photo are arc marks, though. There appears to be similar, slighter vertical marks evenly spaced on both tabs, which I think are just rub marks from the contacts inside the slot on the batteries and the lighting of the photo makes the right-hand one stand out more.

You might try cleaning the battery tabs and slots. Perhaps they've become dirty over time and reduce the power available to the aircraft, resulting in erratic flight and weak signal reception. I'm no expert, though, and definitely be careful cleaning the live slots on each battery.

mTp
Thanks mTp,

I'll check out the link and see what that says.

I just looked at the lost signal thread, and all the wires appear to be in properly.
One thing I noticed is that there appears to be a place for a screw that would connect the gimbal to the body. Not sure if there is one missing, or it's not meant to be there.Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20150922_155400_001.jpg
    20150922_155400_001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
Maybe i's not my vision that's the problem, maybe it's my memory ;).
Thanks for setting me straight, I'll find the right "dr dude".

Reactions: LockMD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan