Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Import duty from DJI direct

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is import duty (and VAT, in UK) to pay on an Inspire that comes direct from DJI? On phone to my local dealer and they say that both would apply, whereas not when bought through them.

Seems odd, given that the local dealer price is £2381 and from DJI direct is £2380 (but adding 20% VAT, import duties, etc).

Was also told that DJI will not be sending out any more orders (to dealers at least) during last 2 weeks of Feb, which is Chinese New Year, but that after that, production should be at full speed.

Anyone confirm/deny that too?

Why would there be Import Duty/VAT? DJI Europe is based in Germany. You would effectively be buying INSIDE Europe. There should be no VAT to pay.

I have done this many time with Tiger Motors which are Japanese but there is a main distributor in Poland. When I purchased over £1k of motors there was no VAT or Import duty levied. Items were sent direct from Poland.

The same principle should apply. If you are concerned why not email DJI (Europe) direct and ask?

ok great, so that's a total load of BS from a UK dealer. not very impressive i must say.

I was also told that DJI themselves aren't fulfulling any orders yet - instead they are supplying dealers first, and then doing their own orders in second priority. sounds like more BS...

Sounds like the dealer is pushing you for the business.

Name the dealer? (Although I can probably guess)

Not sure it's the done thing is it? But yes, it's a well established quadcopter retailer.

oh and I'd call it lying, rather than pushing!

You still have to pay vat within the European country from which you buy the item. I have just purchased an inspire from epictv in france which is worth consideration. I ordered it at the end of last week, they offer free 48hr delivery and I received it yesterday (having paid 20% French vat). However if you look at their shop site in the top right corner you are able to select the currency you wish to pay in. The price is fixed using 2839 Euros, and with the euro not doing well against the pound the rate is changing daily which meant I actually paid £2,155 for it with nothing else to pay. The guys there are English and very helpful. The last time I looked they had 10 in stock.

You still have to pay vat within the European country from which you buy the item.

Well yes... that's a given. However, no further VAT or import duty is payable.

Sorry I should have clarified that you pay VAT at the rate the European country you are buying from sets. (Most of them are 20% or less - Germany is 19% I believe. A few are 21% or 25% but not the main ones)

I regularly purchase items from DJI store. They ship from Shenzen China using DHL. DJI pay the import duty. I have also been told by DJI to inform them if I am charged any taxes and that they will reimburse any taxes. So far DHL have never sent me any invoices to date. I live in the UK and transit time is usually 3-4 days

wow - I seriously can't believe that this forum has just saved me nearly £300! I have ordered from epicTV who will delivery this week, and I have also ordered a large capacity battery.

I regularly purchase items from DJI store. They ship from Shenzen China using DHL. DJI pay the import duty. I have also been told by DJI to inform them if I am charged any taxes and that they will reimburse any taxes. So far DHL have never sent me any invoices to date. I live in the UK and transit time is usually 3-4 days
They pay the duty ?? Are you serious ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean - "am I serious?"

Are you implying that you don't believe that such a system exists where the shipper pays all taxes or do you think I will post information to mislead other forum members?

I can assure the forum that anything I type on this forum is what I have seen or experienced and not innuendo.

DJI pay the taxes that HMRC levy on the package including any handling charges. There is ZERO additional charges to be paid after delivery. Does that statement make it serious?

it's not that surprising. they are attempting to go the 'apple' thing and set a uniform price around the world, to remove competition. therefore they factor in the import duties and probably have a very sophisticated arrangement with UPS to sort out the payments. that's why i was suspicious that DJI were selling it for the same price (within $1!) as my UK distributor - but allegedly the DJI was going be subject to duties. Just didn't make sense.

it's really the only way to operate as a big global brand selling worldwide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop