Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Industrial inspections Zoom lens for X5S help?

Reaction score
Hello my company has given me the task to find a drone that operates with a zoom lens that can fly from a safe distance while still being capable to take excellent still photos on job sites. My research has lead me to Inspire 2 with the X5S and we are prepared and acknowledge this will be a hefty price. So since I have no experience with the camera/lens from Inspire I'm reaching out to any of you who can help. I like that there is a lot of lens offered for the X5S But I would appreciate any feed back that can help me determine the best camera (not the drone) that would help me get my job done with the best quality photos... and...please dont say the z30.

My only experience is with the Phantom 4 Pro. and the fixed lens is not working for me and I feel like I have to fly the drone to unsafe distance to get a high res photo for example say a shingle or broken vents on a rooftop.

Reactions: Advexure
I have the I2 with the X5S. I have tried a Panasonic 14-42 zoom and I am not impressed with the lens. It focuses poorly, and often the camera doesn't 'see' it. I have to land the AC and restart it, then it 'sees' it again.
I can tell you from experience that the Olympus 25mm and 45 mm are excellent on it and those are your best bet. I previously had an Inspire 1 with the X5 and had all of those lenses and they all worked flawlessly on it. X5S is essentially the same camera.

The X5S is basically a 20mp of the X5 - we upgraded form the I1 Pro the the X5 to the I2 with X5s for the increase in resolution - both are good with 12mm, 17mm and 45mm Olympus lenses, and the 45 will allow for good inspection at a reasonable distance - using the 14-42 Olympus zoom lens didn't give a very good quality and we were unimpressed.

What are you trying to achieve ?

Reactions: Advexure
Olympus 45mm would be your best bet. With this lens you're able to sit out a distance and still achieve tremendous imaging quality in combination with the X5S. Olympus 25mm would be your next best option.

Feel free to reach out if our team can be of any help to you or your company, or if you have any further questions pertaining to an Inspire 2 setup. Cheers!

I saw somewhere on FB someone had made a custom balance kit to mount a 150mm lens on an I1. The output was pretty cool. He was doing it for power line inspections.
Downside of the long lens is dealing with wind moving the narrow field of view off the target. Maybe you should look at one of the Matrice model which is more geared towards inspections and will support other camera with the long zoom.

Reactions: Tom Dillon
I saw somewhere on FB someone had made a custom balance kit to mount a 150mm lens on an I1. The output was pretty cool. He was doing it for power line inspections.
Downside of the long lens is dealing with wind moving the narrow field of view off the target. Maybe you should look at one of the Matrice model which is more geared towards inspections and will support other camera with the long zoom.
While I agree - there is a massive cost issue isn't there - Inspire 2 with X5S £5k, M200 £5k or M210 £9k, DJI Zoom Lens £7k. Therefore min price difference of £7k before you even start - thats a lot of difference for possibly a better zoom!

While I agree - there is a massive cost issue isn't there - Inspire 2 with X5S £5k, M200 £5k or M210 £9k, DJI Zoom Lens £7k. Therefore min price difference of £7k before you even start - thats a lot of difference for possibly a better zoom!

Welcome to the Barbie Doll world of drones. Sooner or later you end up with the sports car and Malibu beach home. That Babe (not my first choice of words) wants everything. And it is not just the lenses and main aircraft. You'll end up with a bunch of batteries. On the I2 you need to fly in pairs. I have 10 which gives me a little over an hour of flight time.

All depends on the core business you are in. Cinema and Photography the I2, inspection and industrial, maybe the M line. So you sort of need to define the job and then choose the aircraft rather than the reverse.

I agree - we upgraded from I1 Pro to I2 due to the mp increase and dual battery - then the M2xx came out - until I saw the prices I was going to sell the I2 and upgrade - but not now - even with the M2xx being water "resistant" the X5s and lenses aren't. I also couldn't justify the massive price increase for 6-9 mins extra flight!

Reactions: SKY pics WA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84