Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 crash and DJI's excuse for not warrantying

Reaction score
I just want to make this post to bring awareness to my current RMA repair situation with my Inspire 1 and DJI. I had updated to firmware 1.05 and the next day I flew it, going straight up to about 130 ft to take a photo, coming down slowly at about 83 ft all power shut off and it dropped like a rock. I've included pictures of the damage, everything is totaled.

I sent an e-mail to DJI Support and got an RMA #, sent it in and they received it last week. Yesterday I got an invoice for the repair bill with no remarks, this morning I got the same invoice but with a remark that basically said "we checked the flight log and it crashed due to not updating the firmware." To me this smells like BS and I think I can prove it because I still have my microsd card that shows the firmware update successful logs as well as each of the battery that was updated. I also have the damaged battery but I am unsure how to check firmware on that as I cannot think of a way to safely power it up. I called DJI USA and they told me to reply to the e-mail I received my invoice from. I just find it odd that they came to this conclusion even though I initially stated what had happened and that I also updated to the firmware in my initial RMA claim.
DJI repair invoice.PNG Update Log.PNG IMG_6160.JPG IMG_6209.JPG IMG_6211.JPG

Wow, that is really discouraging to read on ALL fronts. This is one of the reasons why I hesitate to upgrade my Firmware evry time, as recommended by DJI..

I was VERY lucky i was not over anyone or any expensive object. I never fly over people anyways but when I am at events and I see these DJI drones fly over expensive cars and people I get very nervous and at the same time satisfied that it's not me doing it.

Sorry to hear that, It seems odd that DJI have the logs and are blaming the FW update, when it wasn't a mandatory update. Must of been a duff battery and or connection somewhere, rarely heard of a complete power loss. Hope you get it sorted.

Sorry for your loss @butters149. What's was the temperature you were flying in?
I'm on a older firmware myself.
It's the temp of the battery that is the definitive data not necessarily the temperature your flying in, although one could be an indicator. You can have cold weather conditions but a cosy battery.

Please se flight log, I flew on 12/12 in Los angeles, at the time 1.06 firmware was not out yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6322.PNG
    IMG_6322.PNG
    148.5 KB · Views: 61
I'm hoping this is an admin error of sorts as a P3 has been refused for the same thing on PP,

DJI have not stated in any of their terms that warranty is based on using the latest firmware and in fact they offer a clear and public downgrade path for users and publish that fact

Hopefully this gets sorted out soon and we get some clarity.

I sent you a message on RCG :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tj_ and lrwskyfilms
I just want to make this post to bring awareness to my current RMA repair situation with my Inspire 1 and DJI. I had updated to firmware 1.05 and the next day I flew it, going straight up to about 130 ft to take a photo, coming down slowly at about 83 ft all power shut off and it dropped like a rock. I've included pictures of the damage, everything is totaled.

I sent an e-mail to DJI Support and got an RMA #, sent it in and they received it last week. Yesterday I got an invoice for the repair bill with no remarks, this morning I got the same invoice but with a remark that basically said "we checked the flight log and it crashed due to not updating the firmware." To me this smells like BS and I think I can prove it because I still have my microsd card that shows the firmware update successful logs as well as each of the battery that was updated. I also have the damaged battery but I am unsure how to check firmware on that as I cannot think of a way to safely power it up. I called DJI USA and they told me to reply to the e-mail I received my invoice from. I just find it odd that they came to this conclusion even though I initially stated what had happened and that I also updated to the firmware in my initial RMA claim.
View attachment 5353 View attachment 5354 View attachment 5355 View attachment 5356 View attachment 5357
My understanding is now DJI are taking care of you and your I1 will be repaired under warranty?

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Wow... Sorry for your loss dude. I had my own disaster dealing with DJI. My Inspire was sitting on my coffee table when it decided to fry the main board while I was trying out my new 2nd Slave RC. Unit was sent back to China for I thought was warranty repair and they sent me a bill for $900 saying the electronics burnt out as a result of a previous crash??. I don't even know how that would be possible. No physical damage to craft, I even sent photos and proof that the craft was undamaged and in pristine condition. Nothing except electronics needed to be replaced. Didn't matter to them, it was pay or it wouldn't be fixed. DJI's after sales service is shockingly bad !!! If they would just fix this part of their business they would have customers for life like Apple.
Hope you get some joy.. If not, I guess you either have to pay the 1K or go without.... Shame on you DJI, shame.

View attachment 5353 View attachment 5354 View attachment 5355 View attachment 5356 View attachment 5357

Hi, I'm really hacked off with DJI EU. After being told to send an X5 for repair, due to low altitude impact, they then told me they don't repair cameras and gimbals. The damage is to the yaw arm, which seems to be cropping up more and more. So DJI USA will actually offer repair to cameras and gimbals, will they? I really don't want to scrap a 90% good unit.

I've had several crashes.
I've repaired each one myself.
It's cheap, fast, and fun.

Virtually all of the parts for the inspire ar available as are instructions and videos.

I have empathy for your experiences, that's why I choose to avoid it and actually enjoy the alternative

I've had several crashes.
I've repaired each one myself.
It's cheap, fast, and fun.

Virtually all of the parts for the inspire ar available as are instructions and videos.

I have empathy for your experiences, that's why I choose to avoid it and actually enjoy the alternative

Who caries all the parts for an I1 so one can self-repair? Someone was tryin to get a battery cover that was cracked and DJI told him that part is not sold, to buy a new battery. The guy even checked the battery and all cells were perfect.

Funny thing, same thing happened to me up at 100' in 55 degree weather. DJI Inspire 1 fell from the sky and crashed at my feet while I was looking down. (Luckily didn't hit me) Imagine my surprise when they replaced my totaled drone with another one under warranty but when I sent in the camera afterwards they billed me for $288 to fix it saying it was a different RMA. I did not know it was affected by the crash....looked good, but when I attached it to the new ship it didn't work. They still have my camera and will not release it unless I pay the ransom of $288. I had to buy a new camera so I could keep shooting while waiting for this issue to resolve......doesn't look good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Integratedretail