Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 drifting issue and battery problem

Does your inspire ever drift while flying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I have a couple of problems with my inspire 1. I have done a compass calibration and an IMU calibration, as well as an RC calibration. I noticed that when flying forward with the inspire it doesn't make a straight line. It seems to drift one way or another. Is this normal? Why would it do this? Also, when I fly forward and release stick and the aircraft brakes it will sway to the left when it stops. When I reverse it does the same things to the right. Also, sometimes in hover the aircraft twitches. Weird stuff.

Secondly. I was flying the other day and got a message that said "ultrasonic system failure. Land as soon as possible". After getting this the aircraft was hard to control but I was able to safely land it. I switched batteries and was fine. Today, I used the same battery and the aircraft started climbing by itself, and then when in hover it lowered itself several feet and had hard landing before lifting off again. I changed batteries and this was resolved.

Sorry for long post. Please help if you can!!!

Hi Jonathan,
Are you running the latest firmware? If so, there have been reports of what your experiencing. You might want to try re-flashing your firmware and making sure all is current. Then, calibrate IMU, compass, gimbal, ETC. Make sure to check your firmware update log for success. If you still have problems, try the prior firmware you had before and see if the problem still exists.

I'm on the current firmware as well, but mine seems to be behaving itself.

Another random thought, but if you did update your firmware, you left the update bin on the SD card and updated the firmware on all your batteries as well right? Following that, you did delete the bin file off the SD card right?

In addition, you shouldn't have two bin files on the SD card (just in case you left an old firmware on the card and also dropped the new firmware on there as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan Abdoo
I did update the firmware but I dont think I removed the files from the SD card. I'm pretty sure they are still there. I am pretty sure I got all the batteries updated but I can double check that. I just did another IMU and compass calibration. The compass was reading 1340 or something like that in "MOD". Could magnetic Interference in the area cause these issues? My controller said there was a lot of interference with the signal today.

Thank you for your help!!! So you think I should try to reinstall last upgrade?

I'm guessing your talking about that video status message that says there's interference. That's normal as different channels have traffic. I just switch mine to auto. 1340 for calibration is not too bad, but closer to 1500 is what you want to see. I'm thinking you should take each battery and power up the quad with the current bin file on the SD card. Make sure there are no other files and the only file on there is the bin file. After each power up, review the log, make sure all is well, and then delete the log (after saving the log file to your pc). You should have a log for each battery you put in. If all say abort, then your at current. If you see success, then one was missed. However, if you see nothing but abort each time, I would downgrade the firmware to the previous version, test your drone, and then update the current version. Make sure and perform the calibrations each time. This way you'll be able to eliminate and determine if there's still an issue that either related to the firmware or not.

However, I wouldn't leave the BIN fil on the SD card after all is well. Maybe something is happening and it's trying to access that file when it shouldn't be.

Do the IMU calibration on a PERFECTLY level surface, free from any (electro)magnetic interference.
After that perform a stick calibration.
In the field finally, a compass calibration (no car keys, radio or phone in the pocket while you do the dance).

Make sure the flying spot is free from wifi or electro magnetic interference.

Domestic Wifi and Radar (close to a harbour?) are quite nasty and can cause your Inspire1 to randomly disobey certain, if not all, stick commands.

In the case you ever feel your I1 has been taken over by a 'hostile' signal, best thing to do is to walk towards the bird to regain control. (keep it in your sight and don't stumble). Keep the throttle stick up until you see the Inspire1 suddenly ascent, so you know you've regained control.
If that doesn't help, (it normally does) you're in trouble. In that case a RTH would be the only option, provided the RTH command signal reaches the bird at all,. If will fly back to the homepoint regardless of the interference (it might alter its altitude due to the hostile signals, so keep that throttle stick up in case you get control back). GPS signal should, of course, be OK in the first place, but your wouldn't take off without checking that. Thing is to get as close as possible to the I1, to override the other signal.

Ok. I will try to run those Calibrations in an area with no interference and IMU on completely flat surface. I have done it on tile floor in my house and on top of dining room table but I don't know if they are completely level.

Could a battery cause the bird to go nuts? I am about to throw battery away! Any way to test or repair?

Ok. I will try to run those Calibrations in an area with no interference and IMU on completely flat surface. I have done it on tile floor in my house and on top of dining room table but I don't know if they are completely level.

Could a battery cause the bird to go nuts? I am about to throw battery away! Any way to test or repair?
You can use a bubble to check. I made a piece of plywood with a bubble and with 4 feet that I can screw in/out. I adjust the feet prior to calibration so it's completely level in all directions. Only thing left is to make sure it's a place without electro magnetic interference. I wouldn't calibrate in my recording studio (tried once, no joy) or close to a speaker for instance. But the dining room table should be good enough, normally.

You can use a bubble to check. I made a piece of plywood with a bubble and with 4 feet that I can screw in/out. I adjust the feet prior to calibration so it's completely level in all directions. Only thing left is to make sure it's a place without electro magnetic interference. I wouldn't calibrate in my recording studio (tried once, no joy) or close to a speaker for instance. But the dining room table should be good enough, normally.

You levelling kit sounds just the job. Would you be able to post a pic or two of it, by any chance? Thanks

I had this same error message today and my Inspire shot straight upwards, very scary as it was in hover at the time. I brought it straight down to land without issue, then did some short test flights after not receiving the message again, however serious drifting now occurring. IMU all calibrated and compass done every flight. Any further ideas? This was fourth flight after firmware upgrade and until today it had been fine.

I had this same error message today and my Inspire shot straight upwards, very scary as it was in hover at the time. I brought it straight down to land without issue, then did some short test flights after not receiving the message again, however serious drifting now occurring. IMU all calibrated and compass done every flight. Any further ideas? This was fourth flight after firmware upgrade and until today it had been fine.
This appears to be an issue with the current firmware and the barometer. Quite a few reports elsewhere on this.
As yet no fix.
As an aside, I would advise to definitely NOT calibrate your compass every flight. You run the risk of unknowingly introducing a bad calibration.
(Lots on this subject on the forum) - basically, calibrating every flight is a really bad idea.

This appears to be an issue with the current firmware and the barometer. Quite a few reports elsewhere on this.
- basically, calibrating every flight is a really bad idea.
perhaps my fault for saying every flight. What I meant was every flight at a location new to the previus one. So what should I be thinking about the problem? contacting DJI? really dont want to risk flying if its as serious as it appears.

perhaps my fault for saying every flight. What I meant was every flight at a location new to the previus one. So what should I be thinking about the problem? contacting DJI? really dont want to risk flying if its as serious as it appears.
Even calibrating on change of location is not a good idea since you do not know what influences are acting on the compass at a new/unknown location.

As to your problem I'm afraid contacting DJI will have little success as they will no doubt deny anything is wrong.
It looks like a case of wait until the next FW release when hopefully it will be addressed. Bizarrely, not everyone is experiencing this issue - it only seems to affect some.

As yet no fix.
As an aside, I would advise to definitely NOT calibrate your compass every flight. You run the risk of unknowingly introducing a bad calibration.
(Lots on this subject on the forum) - basically, calibrating every flight is a really bad idea.

I just flew since the new update... I1 takes off vertically on it's own after I applied power...and drifting to the right...very scarey... I was able to stop it with full throttle back... it only got up 3 feet the gear was still lowered.. able to land land safely...shut everything down check all settings ... fired I1 up... did the same thing again.... popped the battery out and replaced it with another one( 48's) everything was fine and under control... did two more flites no issues..... Ideas ????????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandyGolds