Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1- Latest firmwares good or bad

Reaction score
So it looks as i maybe need to update my I1 firmware to the latest 1.8 Firmware, i am currently on 1.5.

Do you consider the new functions in the firmwares 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 good enough so that it is worth updating from 1.5 to 1.8?
Or was your bird better when you were on 1.5?
I know that the DJI firmware updates is not always only bringing good stuff but sometimes brings limitations and takes away certain functions etc.

I´m curious to hear your opinion about which firmware you would prefer and which new functions are good versus bad in these new firmwares?
And if it has made your bird better, for example speed, stability, gimbal stability, camera functions etc.
Thanks.

Reactions: DHTV
I'm wondering the same thing !! I started a new post before I saw yours. I wish people in the inspire forums were as active / helpful as the phantom forums. [emoji17]

I'm on 1.6 which has been good but Im sick of looking at the battery / bird needs fw update message.. So I'm contemplating jumping into the new one.

I'm also wondering what was fixed with the new "security fixes"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DHTV
v1.8.1.00 on one and......one you won't of heard of yet on the other. ;)
No issues, running iPad Air 2 on both. DJI Go v2.8.2

Are you running the latest geo bets on the other ? I have a developer account and have the betas available but from some of the maps a place I fly in often is a no fly. I don't have Internet access there and am avoiding that hassle as long as I can lol !!

Ps thanks for the reply!!

Are you running the latest geo bets on the other ? I have a developer account and have the betas available but from some of the maps a place I fly in often is a no fly. I don't have Internet access there and am avoiding that hassle as long as I can lol !!

Ps thanks for the reply!!

No - beyond that, and it would be wrong of me to say any more.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUav
stay on 1.5...
FW 1.8 direct result...

Attachments

• inspire 1 pieces.JPG
    inspire 1 pieces.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 80
Care to send a link to details / healthy drones / etc

Edit: sorry for your loss [emoji37][emoji37][emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its currently at DJI for a FW diagnosis. In a nut shell. I was full stick forward in a 12mph wind. Immediately I got the propulsion message in which limited the power of the inspire 1. Even with a brand new tb 48 with not one use on it yet. Inspire was at 34 percent for battery and about 507 feet away from me at a height of 89 feet. The 12 mph head wind would not allow the inspire to make any head way. It really was unreal seeing the bird just sit there with a full stick forward and not able to maneuver it at all in 12 mph wind. Heck I have flown in higher winds before. After letting the stick go the bird drifted to the left and struck a man mad object and down she came. Here is the really weird part. At the beginning of the flight i saw a quick red error on the screen, but then it was gone. I later learned that my full flight in the log was cut into 2 flights. The 2nd portion of the flight is the crash and it appears like the inspire comes out of nowhere. No flight path from the home point at all, just in the middle of nowhere, then the crash about 5 minutes later. I rolled my others birds back to 1.5 for my x3 one and 1.6 for my black pro. No propulsion message on them any more. When I called DJI to submit the flight log, the guy that answered the phone said during the conversation, "ah you also got the propulsion message" I said yes I did. I said that the latest firmware severely hampers the inspire to fly in any wind. He said you know you can roll back the FW. I told him no ****...

Its currently at DJI for a FW diagnosis. In a nut shell. I was full stick forward in a 12mph wind. Immediately I got the propulsion message in which limited the power of the inspire 1. Even with a brand new tb 48 with not one use on it yet. Inspire was at 34 percent for battery and about 507 feet away from me at a height of 89 feet. The 12 mph head wind would not allow the inspire to make any head way. It really was unreal seeing the bird just sit there with a full stick forward and not able to maneuver it at all in 12 mph wind. Heck I have flown in higher winds before. After letting the stick go the bird drifted to the left and struck a man mad object and down she came. Here is the really weird part. At the beginning of the flight i saw a quick red error on the screen, but then it was gone. I later learned that my full flight in the log was cut into 2 flights. The 2nd portion of the flight is the crash and it appears like the inspire comes out of nowhere. No flight path from the home point at all, just in the middle of nowhere, then the crash about 5 minutes later. I rolled my others birds back to 1.5 for my x3 one and 1.6 for my black pro. No propulsion message on them any more. When I called DJI to submit the flight log, the guy that answered the phone said during the conversation, "ah you also got the propulsion message" I said yes I did. I said that the latest firmware severely hampers the inspire to fly in any wind. He said you know you can roll back the FW. I told him no ****...

So you took off fully charged new battery ... Then that message popped up and turned the inspire into a dog... Couldn't even move forward in 12mph wind ??

Yuck !! And I didn't know you could roll back that far !! I thought you could only roll back one firmware version now ?

They are going to replace it for you ?

So you took off fully charged new battery ... Then that message popped up and turned the inspire into a dog... Couldn't even move forward in 12mph wind ??

Yuck !! And I didn't know you could roll back that far !! I thought you could only roll back one firmware version now ?

They are going to replace it for you ?

yep..brand new and very freshly ( 1 hour prior) charged battery. Here is another funny thing. In a hover , just a regular hover the propulsion message would come up often. I had no idea it would limit the power that bad.
I was petty adamant on a replacement from them. When the DJI guy said " ah Firmware 1.8 and the propulsion message" its like he knew or something. Someone else must have had the same thing happen. I will know in the next 24 to 48 hours the out come. they have all the info now and the flight logs.

Well obviously there has been more than one person who has commented on how the firmware has made his drone slower or less stable and shorter recording times, more no fly zones, etc. etc.
In my opinion a firmware update should make the drone better, not implementing limitations etc.

So the firmware updates between 1.5 and the latest has not made the drone slower, less stable or inferior in any ways??

"So the firmware updates between 1.5 and the latest has not made the drone slower, less stable or inferior in any ways??"

I would say it has done exactly that. Slower, less stable and very inferior, especially in a very easy 12 mph wind. I have my other inspire on 1.5 and had a photo shoot a few days after this crash. I have that on 1.5 and in 17 mph wind..up to 33 mph gusts I was getting speed of 20 to 23 flying into the head wind. We shall not talk of the speed with the tail wind...:)

"So the firmware updates between 1.5 and the latest has not made the drone slower, less stable or inferior in any ways??"

I would say it has done exactly that. Slower, less stable and very inferior, especially in a very easy 12 mph wind. I have my other inspire on 1.5 and had a photo shoot a few days after this crash. I have that on 1.5 and in 17 mph wind..up to 33 mph gusts I was getting speed of 20 to 23 flying into the head wind. We shall not talk of the speed with the tail wind...:)

Thanks for the information. What you write is exactly the reason why i started this thread, since i know that DJI firmware updates is not always only bringing good stuff to the bird. What i wondered was if these particular updates is the problematic ones?

So do you know which is the actual firmware update /updates that made these limitations and problems for you, 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8 ?

Is the 1.6 firmware stable?

Thanks for the information. What you write is exactly the reason why i started this thread, since i know that DJI firmware updates is not always only bringing good stuff to the bird. What i wondered was if these particular updates is the problematic ones?

So do you know which is the actual firmware update /updates that made these limitations and problems for you, 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8 ?

Is the 1.6 firmware stable?

For every person that has a crash/issue on one firmware, there are thousands that have no issues whatsoever. Are you really going to make a decision based on one data point? I am not saying bluethundr's incident is an isolated one but it definitely is not the common result.

Here's what I've been running for a while now with no crashes or weird behavior:
App: Version 2.7.1
Aircraft: Version 1.6.00.40
RC: Version 1.5.70
Camera: Version 1.5.00.30

I get the propulsion limited message now and then, especially when the battery gets low or I push it really hard but so far no issues. I definitely ease up and go slow once I get the message though. At this point, I don't plan on updating my firmware unless they make huge beneficial changes that are tried and true. I see no reason to update from 1.6.00.40 at the moment.

Reactions: eldorado
For every person that has a crash/issue on one firmware, there are thousands that have no issues whatsoever. Are you really going to make a decision based on one data point? I am not saying bluethundr's incident is an isolated one but it definitely is not the common result.

Here's what I've been running for a while now with no crashes or weird behavior:
App: Version 2.7.1
Aircraft: Version 1.6.00.40
RC: Version 1.5.70
Camera: Version 1.5.00.30

I get the propulsion limited message now and then, especially when the battery gets low or I push it really hard but so far no issues. I definitely ease up and go slow once I get the message though. At this point, I don't plan on updating my firmware unless they make huge beneficial changes that are tried and true. I see no reason to update from 1.6.00.40 at the moment.

Well from what i have been reading on this forum and other forums there seems to be more than a few people that has problems and that complains about issues with firmware.
And sure when it comes to individual problems maybe that example 1 in 100 applies, but when it comes to limitations implemented in the different firmwares that applies to everyone that is on that firmware in question.
The feeling i have got is that the number of people experiencing problems with DJI firmwares is higher than firmware problems for most other electronic products?

Has there been any actual speed reduction in some of the latest firmwares? I don't see anything like that in the firmware release notes, but at the same time i guess DJI does not write everything in the release notes?

And the enhanced security for the transmission that was implemented in the latest firmware, does it do anything in terms of a stronger signal or a greater distance signal?

Well from what i have been reading on this forum and other forums there seems to be more than a few people that has problems and that complains about issues with firmware.
And sure when it comes to individual problems maybe that example 1 in 100 applies, but when it comes to limitations implemented in the different firmwares that applies to everyone that is on that firmware in question.
The feeling i have got is that the number of people experiencing problems with DJI firmwares is higher than firmware problems for most other electronic products?

Here's my 2 cents and please don't take this the wrong way: If it seems like there seems to be so many problems, why are you even asking? If you've read forums and there are complaints and problems and you have no issues with your current firmware, why are you asking whether you should upgrade or not? I think it's fair to say that a lot of people have upgraded and have had no issues, and there may be people who have had issues as well. I also understand there are unreported issues, people crash and never write about it on forums, but there are also thousands that have no issues and don't write about it either. Bottom line is, if this were a chronic problem across the board, then everyone would know about it by now.

Editor has already chimed in and said he is fine on 1.8. I've been on 1.6 for a while and have had no issues.

Has there been any actual speed reduction in some of the latest firmwares? I don't see anything like that in the firmware release notes, but at the same time i guess DJI does not write everything in the release notes?

And the enhanced security for the transmission that was implemented in the latest firmware, does it do anything in terms of a stronger signal or a greater distance signal?

Mine does 22m/s in light winds on 1.6.

Signal strength is largely a hardware issue.

Reactions: eldorado
Here's my 2 cents and please don't take this the wrong way: If it seems like there seems to be so many problems, why are you even asking? If you've read forums and there are complaints and problems and you have no issues with your current firmware, why are you asking whether you should upgrade or not? I think it's fair to say that a lot of people have upgraded and have had no issues, and there may be people who have had issues as well. I also understand there are unreported issues, people crash and never write about it on forums, but there are also thousands that have no issues and don't write about it either. Bottom line is, if this were a chronic problem across the board, then everyone would know about it by now.

Editor has already chimed in and said he is fine on 1.8. I've been on 1.6 for a while and have had no issues.

Mine does 22m/s in light winds on 1.6.

Signal strength is largely a hardware issue.

Why I'm asking, because the people i wrote about me having read that they had problems was problems with firmwares in general, not a particular firmware. And since i know these things i want to know if the particular firmwares i have asked about also has more problems and has implemented limitations etc. Like i said earlier i don't believe the bad stuff is written in the release notes.

So what i asked in this thread was specifically about the good stuff and bad stuff on the firmwares between 1.5 and the latest firmware 1.8.

And you said that i should not rely on one person that has problems, well then i guess i should not rely on only one person that says that he has had no problems, I'm referring to when you said that editor has already said that he has no problems.

I don't think anybody that has been with DJI products for a while can say that there has not been people complaining about certain things implemented in the firmwares, and certain problems that has arisen from a particular firmware update.
So i think my question is more than legitimate.

So what i hoped for was people that are on the latest firmware answer something like, this thing has gotten better with the firmwares after 1.5 and these things has made the bird inferior etc. etc.
And if enough people gives his or her opinion you can get a picture about these particular firmwares.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaRqz379