Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro - 45mm Jellow Effect

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We've just recently upgraded our Inspire 1 to the Inspire 1 Pro with Zenmuse X5 Gimbal, I took it out for a spin yesterday and noticed alot of 'jellow' effect when flying with the 45mm. On the 45mm I have a 37-46 balancing ring and a lens hood with cut outs for air resistance.

I've updated the craft with the new plate etc and updated all the firmware for the pro version.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what are the best ways of avoiding this? I'm thinking about changing the lense hood and adding the balancing ring from the DJI 15mm as I've just read online that this can help. It would be interesting to find out if any of you guys have come across this problem and how you got around it.

Really impressed with the Zenmuse X5 so far, coming from the X3, especially for photographs, awesome!

This is well documented. The focal length is great for photos, video-not so much. I have the Oly collection and use the 45 for photos only.
Correct!
@Zade-Aerial - the longer the focal length the more amplified the error in gimbal stabilisation will be.
Exactly the same effect if you handhold a camera with a long zoom. Looks fine wide but zoom in and every movement of your hand is shown.
Photos are not an issue but video is a different animal.
Try shooting at 50/60p. This will minimise the phenomenon.

Reactions: johnmont250
We've just recently upgraded our Inspire 1 to the Inspire 1 Pro with Zenmuse X5 Gimbal, I took it out for a spin yesterday and noticed alot of 'jellow' effect when flying with the 45mm. On the 45mm I have a 37-46 balancing ring and a lens hood with cut outs for air resistance.

I've updated the craft with the new plate etc and updated all the firmware for the pro version.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what are the best ways of avoiding this? I'm thinking about changing the lense hood and adding the balancing ring from the DJI 15mm as I've just read online that this can help. It would be interesting to find out if any of you guys have come across this problem and how you got around it.

Really impressed with the Zenmuse X5 so far, coming from the X3, especially for photographs, awesome!

I happend to have this problem in my X5r, with the 45mm too, notice it on the Osmo, after pitch or yaw this jellow effect would appear, and the gimbal servos would sound like they are tripping, forcing, or something, and a noticeable shaking on the lens would start too, causing this jellow effect in video. As soon as i moved the gimbal with my hands I would absorb some of that shaking and it goes back to normal. Then a simple yaw or pitch and the jellow comes back again. Seemed to me like a calibration problem, so a lens hood, a polarizer filter(thats what i used to overcome this problem) or maybe a penni on the lens should fix this. However I only had this problem on the Osmo but I have never notice this in my inspire, as every time I've used the 45 there, it always had the filter on, so never had that problem before.

Cheers guys, appreciate the help.
I'll continue testing, I was filming in 24fps cine, so will try 1080p 60fps and see what results I get.
Thanks again

I don't see any jello effect, but I am watching on iphone so maybe I dont see it clearly. ..
I notice a bit of stuttering wich is possibly due to higher shutter.
Simple rule is that shutter speed should be 2xFPS number, in cinematography also known as "180 degree rule", as basic rule bit than you adjust it to speed of flight to get sharp video frames.

Hi San,

Here we go -

What you are calling "Jellow" is normally referred to as "rolling shutter." I'll spare you the semantics, but I'm not seeing rolling shutter in your video. What I AM seeing is jitters, which is, unfortunately, an artifact of digital videography - especially @ 24 FPS. I've seen this anomaly in Red cameras. I've seen it on Discovery Channel footage. I've seen it in feature film footage...all from cameras on tripods from production companies with almost unlimited budgets. After chasing down solutions to this anomaly for nearly a year, I have relegated myself to the fact that it just exists. Had I seen actual rolling shutter in your video, I would've suggested a shutter speed twice that of your frame rate (referred to as the 180° shutter rule). Both rolling shutter and jitters seem to be more prevalent in brighter light. Had your day not been overcast, you probably would've seen more of it.

Unfortunately, the only real solution is a higher frame rate. More unfortunate, we don't have higher frame rates available on our Inspires. Otherwise I would shoot 48 FPS for most of my stuff. This anomaly is maddening. And the fact that you can spot it in even the most budgeted productions tells me there is no cure. And the fact that I've seen it on tripod footage tells me it's not an aerial issue.

What you are calling "Jellow" is normally referred to as "rolling shutter." I'll spare you the semantics, but I'm not seeing rolling shutter in your video. What I AM seeing is jitters, which is, unfortunately, an artifact of digital videography - especially @ 24 FPS. I've seen this anomaly in Red cameras. I've seen it on Discovery Channel footage. I've seen it in feature film footage...all from cameras on tripods from production companies with almost unlimited budgets. After chasing down solutions to this anomaly for nearly a year, I have relegated myself to the fact that it just exists. Had I seen actual rolling shutter in your video, I would've suggested a shutter speed twice that of your frame rate (referred to as the 180° shutter rule). Both rolling shutter and jitters seem to be more prevalent in brighter light. Had your day not been overcast, you probably would've seen more of it.

Unfortunately, the only real solution is a higher frame rate. More unfortunate, we don't have higher frame rates available on our Inspires. Otherwise I would shoot 48 FPS for most of my stuff. This anomaly is maddening. And the fact that you can spot it in even the most budgeted productions tells me there is no cure. And the fact that I've seen it on tripod footage tells me it's not an aerial issue.

The most comprehensive explanation by far. You have to live with that for now ... Sooner or later they'll find the solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters