Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro. Olympus 12mm, Spare TB48, In air 12 times..... (Canada)

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I feel about this, because I have just invested a LOT of money into this experiment.

Anyhow, I am located in Canada, I purchased this unit at the end of January from a dealer in Calgary Alberta. I wanted to use the unit strictly for taking cool photos of landscapes and cityscapes, as well as video of trains and such. However, I am finding the legality of the shots I have already attempted to be "scrutinized" Long story short, everything I have posted so far seems to not be in perfect accordance with Canadian drone law, and I do not want to get fined. I am not a professional, but I share all my work on the various social networks. (my website, local weather stations, google+, 500px, Facebook (Photos By Jeff) )

I think I am going to play this one out, and wait to see what sort of enforcement is done on this kind of photography, and by buying in early I do not want to be made an example of.

So I am going to take a MAJOR loss here and try and offload this.

Bought brand new in box. When I first signed in last month, it advised of the one year warranty. I am not sure if it transfers, but if there are ANY issues I will fully support my end and help with any claim. All equipment should still be good for the 10+ months left on it.

I sold the stock lens, it wasnt even used, and I bought the Olympus 12mm lens. It's a great lens. It will come with the kit.

I bought a TB48. I flew with it once, it has been charged twice.

Lets start with 4200$usd for everything. Keeping in mind I am aware what DJI is now charging, but I have the spare battery and the Olympus lens. This is me losing a lot still, however I will play thigns out and listen out to offers.

I am on Ebay, and I am on Paypal. ebay feedback is 250+ with no negs, and Paypal is squeaky clean. Please fire away any questions or comments or whatever.

Drone2.jpg Drone3.jpg Drone4.jpg Drone5.jpg Drone6.jpg Drone1.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about this, because I have just invested a LOT of money into this experiment.

Anyhow, I am located in Canada, I purchased this unit at the end of January from a dealer in Calgary Alberta. I wanted to use the unit strictly for taking cool photos of landscapes and cityscapes, as well as video of trains and such. However, I am finding the legality of the shots I have already attempted to be "scrutinized" Long story short, everything I have posted so far seems to not be in perfect accordance with Canadian drone law, and I do not want to get fined. I am not a professional, but I share all my work on the various social networks. (my website, local weather stations, google+, 500px, Facebook (Photos By Jeff) )

I think I am going to play this one out, and wait to see what sort of enforcement is done on this kind of photography, and by buying in early I do not want to be made an example of.

So I am going to take a MAJOR loss here and try and offload this.

Bought brand new in box. When I first signed in last month, it advised of the one year warranty. I am not sure if it transfers, but if there are ANY issues I will fully support my end and help with any claim. All equipment should still be good for the 10+ months left on it.

I sold the stock lens, it wasnt even used, and I bought the Olympus 12mm lens. It's a great lens. It will come with the kit.

I bought a TB48. I flew with it once, it has been charged twice.

Lets start with 4200$usd for everything. Keeping in mind I am aware what DJI is now charging, but I have the spare battery and the Olympus lens. This is me losing a lot still, however I will play thigns out and listen out to offers.

I am on Ebay, and I am on Paypal. ebay feedback is 250+ with no negs, and Paypal is squeaky clean. Please fire away any questions or comments or whatever.

View attachment 7314 View attachment 7315 View attachment 7316 View attachment 7317 View attachment 7318 View attachment 7319

if i would be living in the US or Canada the bird would on the way to my house by now :)
nice looking AC :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that, just curious, what has made you so worried about getting fined? I'm up in Edmonton and while we have an SFOC, we have flown hundreds of hours without one and never really felt like getting in any sort of trouble was any real possibility unless we were being extremely stupid (which I'll admit we were when first learning on the Phantom 1).
National park law would be a concern yes but you can get some nice stuff outside of the parks...
You are just flying for hobby purposes... So there aren't really any regulations, just don't be like that dude in Calgary that got pinched for flying in a major airline flight path.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents..._for_flying_your_drone_safely_and_legally.pdf

Last edited:
Gruvpix. I am not a pro with TONS of exposure, but I post my shots all over the place. I got a message from a fellow photographer with a warning that a lot of the stuff I was putting online was in violation of the rules. Apparently there was a large fine issued to someone out on the prairies. I attach my name to everything and I just feel that I would be "waiting" for disaster. I dunno, Im having mixed feelings as I am also getting inquiries for work and possibly help on a TV show. I also work a regular full time job though and this is more of a hobby. If I dont get a fair price I will likely keep everything though. So we will see. I am in for 7k so far and stand to lose 1500$ for a months experiment :(

Gruvpix. I am not a pro with TONS of exposure, but I post my shots all over the place. I got a message from a fellow photographer with a warning that a lot of the stuff I was putting online was in violation of the rules. Apparently there was a large fine issued to someone out on the prairies. I attach my name to everything and I just feel that I would be "waiting" for disaster. I dunno, Im having mixed feelings as I am also getting inquiries for work and possibly help on a TV show. I also work a regular full time job though and this is more of a hobby. If I dont get a fair price I will likely keep everything though. So we will see. I am in for 7k so far and stand to lose 1500$ for a months experiment :(
Fair enough, I dunno it's tough cause there are always people out there (especially online) who are going to say stuff that is usually baseless, I get that stuff as well and we operate commercially.
Maybe I am more risky than you, and it might come and bite us, but we do everything we can to stay within the regulations and according to our SFOC... But again, flying for hobby purposes... There's nothing wrong with that if you are doing it safely.
If you don't get the TV job, send them my way ;)

You have a reasonable amount of freedom in what you shoot as long as you're in unrestricted airspace, fly line-of-sight only, not in any built-up-areas (basically anything bigger than a farm) and stay below 90metres. BUT, even if people are interested in buying your shots after-the-fact, you can't sell them. As soon as you do, all Commercial flying obligations come into play, and they are really arduous for a hobbyist.

Many people have opinions about what the laws are without knowing the facts. The rules for hobbyists are here: Flying a drone recreationally - Transport Canada

Basically ... stay out of the city, stay low, stay away from airports. And don't sell (or trade) anything.

You have a reasonable amount of freedom in what you shoot as long as you're in unrestricted airspace, fly line-of-sight only, not in any built-up-areas (basically anything bigger than a farm) and stay below 90metres. BUT, even if people are interested in buying your shots after-the-fact, you can't sell them. As soon as you do, all Commercial flying obligations come into play, and they are really arduous for a hobbyist.

Many people have opinions about what the laws are without knowing the facts. The rules for hobbyists are here: Flying a drone recreationally - Transport Canada

Basically ... stay out of the city, stay low, stay away from airports. And don't sell (or trade) anything.
Right, except I would argue you have more freedom than even what you stated. For hobby purposes. It doesn't say anything in the safety guidelines about flying in a built up area, which is defined for purposes of commercial operations. It states do not fly within 150 m of people or buildings etc.
Absolutely you can't sell your prints, as defined by being a commercial operator, but what's to say you are posting those photos to sell? It's gets to be a grey area sort of when you are using the photos not to gain specific profits from, but to promote yourself and your business. To that I would say is TC really going to go that far to enforce it? I read something like they gave out $7,500 worth of fines and 13 'investigations' in the year 2015. That's essentially nothing.

Sigh, like I said. Im questioning everything. I know I have a lot to lose, and if I want to video for that Tv show (hunting show, national exposure, my friend runs it) then it requires insurance and this and that, blah blah. With my Nikon D810, I pick it up and go, and have fun. With the drone, its becoming more of a hassle then a pleasure :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg