Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 tablet

Reaction score
What's a cost effective tablet for the standard DJI go app? Does the kindle fire work with it?

I don’t know if it would work with it or not, never tried it. I’ve used both a galaxy tab A and a iPad mini 4.

My opinion - after 5 months practice:
Ipad Mini 2 LTE 64 GB - permanent lagging Dji Go
Ipad Air 2 LTE 16 GB - any problems, works perfectly.
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - any problems, works perfectly.

Just posted this over in the 3DR forum:
Using a Lenovo TB-8504F. Was cheap (<$150), runs everything for Inspire and Solo great- Solex, Tower, DJI Go, DroneDeploy, Litchi. Best of all, screen is bright and sharp. Have not needed a hood, even working construction sites in full South Florida sun.
Only downside as far as the Inspire is that Autopilot is not available for Android. From what I hear, it's probably better than Litchi for some of the stuff I do.

Reactions: Jeepguy1961
From what we are aware there is not an easy way to use the Kindle Fire tablets with GO4. There may be a route by side loading apps. This video could help with that, can not speak from experience in this area.

Below is a short list of tablets we have had experience with that work great with the GO4 app. We are for more experienced with the iOS devices can speak with great confidence in those models than the listed Android devices.

Highlighted in green are our favorite options for third party tablets when not running the DJI CrystalSky

iOS Tablets
Apple iPad Pro (9.7", 10.5" or 12.9", keep in mind the 10.5" is a very tight fit in the device holder, 12.9" requires an adapter)
Apple iPad Mini 4
Apple iPad Air 2

Android Tablets
Google Nexus 7
nVidia Shield
Galaxy Tab S3

Important Notes
  • DJI GO and GO4 both run on iOS and Android
  • iOS version 9.0 or later is required (not ALL devices running a later version are compatible)
  • Android version 4.4.0 or later is required (not ALL devices running a later version are compatible)
  • Litchi runs on both iOS and Android
  • AutoPilot is iOS only
  • DroneDeploy runs on both iOS and Android
  • Pix4Dcapture runs on both iOS and Android

Below is a list of DJI's "official" compatible devices as of 2/24/18 for both iOS and Android

iOS - According to DJI the app is optimized for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th generation)

Android
Samsung S8 ,Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20

I concur with Advexure. I started on the iPad Air 1 9.7", and really like it. Because of CPU-heavy AutoPilot, I moved up to an iPad Air Pro. Whether I'm doing single pilot, dual pilot or waypoint flying, both work great for my Inspire 1, Mavic Pro and P4P. For dual operator on the Inspire, as camera opp I usually use FPV goggles and hand the iPad to the DP. So far, no complaints. If you're going to do fully automated missions (including camera movement), you'll need the Air Pro. Mine is the WiFi version, 64GB.

Ive had sucess with an Asus zenpad 10. The only issue is the on/off switch is easily toggled if you dont put “bumpers” on both sides of the switch. At the moment I wedge two strips of cardboard on either side which has been working good, not aesthetically appealing but working on finding something better.
Re Using an Air Pro wifi with Autopilot, are there any issues with it not having the gps component the wifi + cellular models afford?

The Asus Zenpad runs on an android platform, therefore you cant run Autopilot on it. Litchi works on both ios and android but youve got to purchase either the ios or the android version. I havent purchased Litchi but considering it for my zenpad.
Key thing about the zen pad is theyre significantly cheaper than the apple devices.

The Asus Zenpad runs on an android platform, therefore you cant run Autopilot on it. Litchi works on both ios and android but youve got to purchase either the ios or the android version. I havent purchased Litchi but considering it for my zenpad.
Key thing about the zen pad is theyre significantly cheaper than the apple devices.
Ive had sucess with an Asus zenpad 10. The only issue is the on/off switch is easily toggled if you dont put “bumpers” on both sides of the switch. At the moment I wedge two strips of cardboard on either side which has been working good, not aesthetically appealing but working on finding something better.
Re Using an Air Pro wifi with Autopilot, are there any issues with it not having the gps component the wifi + cellular models afford?

No issues. Works good, as long as I keep it cool.

Reactions: Advexure
I concur with Advexure. I started on the iPad Air 1 9.7", and really like it. Because of CPU-heavy AutoPilot, I moved up to an iPad Air Pro. Whether I'm doing single pilot, dual pilot or waypoint flying, both work great for my Inspire 1, Mavic Pro and P4P. For dual operator on the Inspire, as camera opp I usually use FPV goggles and hand the iPad to the DP. So far, no complaints. If you're going to do fully automated missions (including camera movement), you'll need the Air Pro. Mine is the WiFi version, 64GB.

Sounds good but where do you live/temps the monitor is subjected to? My mini 4 is fine until the temps creep into the mid 90's. I rarely use AutoPilot and still have issues. Mine is the cellular version, 32gb I believe.

Good to know, the power switch issue sounds annoying though...but I could deal with it if there are no overheat issues. You fly in high temps?

Sounds good but where do you live/temps the monitor is subjected to?

The High Desert....Abq. N.M.

My mini 4 is fine until the temps creep into the mid 90's.

My Air 1 is fine with all apps except Autopilot. Autopilot HEAVILY relies on the iPad to process the automation, so it heats up like crazy, which eventually crashes Autopilot because the iPad has no active cooling, so it throttles back the CPU which causes the crash. The Air Pro is better, but not idiot proof. I have to turn the brightness way down and refrigerate the iPad for a couple hours and then store it in a cooler to the gig. If I don't get the flight on the first try, I'm screwed.

I rarely use AutoPilot and still have issues. Mine is the cellular version, 32gb I believe.

I use Go, Go 4, Ground Station Pro and Map Pilot with no issues in the Air 1. Only Autopilot has issues.

D

Hi, im suffering from pixelization when flying my i1, ive tried diff tablets also and happens on both.
Im using an ipad pro and a huawei t3.
Its and inspire 1, x5 camera. Latest firmware etc also.
This is getting to annoying stages as the drop out causes me nothing but distraction.
Is it just me or should i look to change to something a bit newer than inspire1 to enjoy no loss of signal glitches whilst flying.like i had with my mavic pro.
Any help welcome

Hi, im suffering from pixelization when flying my i1, ive tried diff tablets also and happens on both.
Im using an ipad pro and a huawei t3.
Its and inspire 1, x5 camera. Latest firmware etc also.
This is getting to annoying stages as the drop out causes me nothing but distraction.
Is it just me or should i look to change to something a bit newer than inspire1 to enjoy no loss of signal glitches whilst flying.like i had with my mavic pro.
Any help welcome

Been there. Done that. Got the shirt. It's not your tablet.

D

Thanks Donnie ill watch video tomorrow, appreciated also ty. I found an article re the gimble plate mount also as this can sometimes cause the drop out, but I find it strange it says to unscrew camera screws out two turns , but I'd have thought a little washer under each screw , raising the base plate would perhaps help, but ill give it a go and ill watch your video tomorrow.
ty for response etc sir

Thanks Donnie ill watch video tomorrow, appreciated also ty. I found an article re the gimble plate mount also as this can sometimes cause the drop out, but I find it strange it says to unscrew camera screws out two turns , but I'd have thought a little washer under each screw , raising the base plate would perhaps help, but ill give it a go and ill watch your video tomorrow.
ty for response etc sir

You are welcome. Before making any hardware changes, I would make sure your software/firmware house is in order. Your problem is a common one post FW 1.10.xx.xx. The video will explain everything.

D

I hear ya Donnie thanks again. I am getting this happening 100ft away and closer at times its not exactly far away and I'm not getting a weak signal message. Just pixilating and freezing , then video signal recovers, with this happening I can't even think about flying far out 5/6/7 hundred feet out.
I have also tried the signal booster enhancers plates which do not help at all.

Ive checked the drone today and im quite surprised actually donnie as if im right its not been updated as i was told. Perhaps i am wrong
App 3.1.52
V 1.2.1.03
Rc 1.7.80

I thinks its missing about 8 updates to get it to 1.10

I thinks thats my problem, i was told it was latest firmware on it but ill check when i get a chance.
Thanks Donnie

for people who are having video transmission issues, would you try this. i was having this issue , what i found was that if you let the r/c open the dji go app the transmission would drop out even when the aircraft was very close. when i open the dji app and let it load before i power up the r/c i dont have the problem. it may be a handshake issue. if you guys would try this and report back.

Last edited:
Thanks to Donnie I did the firmware downgrades and bird flew great after this, not the slightest drop out albeit a small flight which was a far more stable feed as well as clearer I would say.
I did find an article which dependent on your country, you can change your tablet location, then this opens up your hd channels and allows you to customise or use higher channels which seems to be a UK restriction.

I don't profess to know enough and bow to the far more experienced pilots, such as Donnie etc.

if your UK based it might be worth trying as you can select the higher channels, and see if it helps.
he rattles on a bit but worth trying, simple thing.

I shall try as you suggest also. Nothing to loose and
anything to stop a glitchy feed and drop out , has to be worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj2018