Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 at Burning Man 4k

Reaction score
Had the unique opportunity to fly at burning man this year. It was an exceptional experience and I've put together a film here:

UAV Coach conducted an interview about it here (also a mini review of the lowe pro drone guard bag):

Flying Drones at Burning Man: An Interview with Drone Pilot Matt Emmi - UAV Coach

Let me know what you think. Enjoy,
marionette-drones.png

Awesome shots a great editing!

Please tell me that's the x5 or 7 or better and not the standard i2 camera? If that's standard i2 camera, my i1 has just become my backup bird. :D

Nice work! Did you ever reach out to the FAA to make sure you were in the clear? I make my living flying for film and television, which is by definition a private event and sterile environment. What’s the difference between BM and a football game. Ive had face to face conversations with my local Van Nuys FSDO about this, and I’ve seen no wiggle room for flight over people or any other waivable flight be it recreational or commercial.
If there is another option you talked to the FAA about I would love to know about it.

Last edited:
Nice work! Did you ever reach out to the FAA to make sure you were in the clear? I make my living flying for film and television, which is by definition a private event and sterile environment. What’s the difference between BM and a football game. Ive had face to face conversations with my local Van Nuys FSDO about this, and I’ve seen no wiggle room for flight over people or any other waivable flight be it recreational or commercial.
If there is another option you talked to the FAA about I would love to know about it.

Very well produced video. But you are correct. Many shots were flown illegally if waivers were not in place. BM has no authority to waive FAA rules and in fact state that all uav flight must be in accordance with them. Since the FAA is taking a "no harm, no foul" approach for now, Matt is probably fine. However if something had not gone well things would most likely have ended differently.

BM's rules here: Drones | Burning Man

Let us also not forget that an individual's liability cover would be denied if an incident occured and the flight was in direct breach of FAA rules/guidelines.
Loss adjusters would simply say "You were making the flight outside of your commercial operations rules/laws and therefore any claim is denied"
Effectively the OP was therefore flying with no insurance cover!

Awesome work! Looks like a fun event to do, with lots of interesting things to Shoot! Nice job memmi!

Thank god for this awesome video - now I don't have to go to BM! I can watch this anytime I feel like I'm missing out - but from my A/C and shower-equipped bubble. ;)

Will

Reactions: Advexure
Great work. I would touch on regulations[emoji56]
Improvement suggestions editing.:
This is an epic and filmic event. Crying for a slow filmic development of framing the picture. Allow sequences to develop.
The music felt not complementary to the great shots!
Well done and I wish I would have been flying the crate!

I will not touch on regulations

Thanks Peter,

I’ve created a new edit with ground footage integrated. I’ve not distributed it widely yet but I’ll share it here.

I think addresses your concerns: regulations, music, cinematic building. It does go fast so maybe give it a few views and let me know your thoughts!

Major improvement. Your telling a story!!
Suggest: open with one shot, zooming in. This instead of using 2 positioning shots. Kill shot now at 0:21 too dull.
Start adding special effects when going close on humans ( One minute in)
Major improvement!!!!

Major improvement. Your telling a story!!
Suggest: open with one shot, zooming in. This instead of using 2 positioning shots. Kill shot now at 0:21 too dull.
Start adding special effects when going close on humans ( One minute in)
Major improvement!!!!

Ha, you caught my cover-up shot, it was a last minute substitution as the BM org took issue with the 747 art piece shot I had as it was shot "in the city". I'll likely put a better ground filler shot there.

I like the idea of pulling in on the opening shot. Have to experiment with that.

Thank god for this awesome video - now I don't have to go to BM! I can watch this anytime I feel like I'm missing out - but from my A/C and shower-equipped bubble. ;)

Will

Just FYI I ship an 18'x18' AC equipped Tent when I go there. Of course power grid is required for the inspire so may as well have AC.

Showers provided by Dr Bronners tent - Refomation. look it up ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airlineoffice