Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Cold Weather

Reaction score
I searched for cold temperature operation and found some interesting threads in the Inspire 1 section of people flying down to -30ºC and I'm hopeful the Inspire 2 will operate at even colder temperatures with the heated batteries?

I am a commercial operator and have a client who would like some footage in the Arctic where it could reach -35 to -40ºC. I know the rating of the Inspire 2 is to -20ºC but if I keep the batteries warm do you think operating at these temperatures is possible, granted if I can stand that cold myself! I'm hoping it can stand these temperatures if the Inspire 1 with the single unheated batteries operate at -30.

Welcome to the forum, @r62ewa. Have not had the I2 in temperatures colder than about 40ºF (4ºC) quite yet but have had plenty of experience with prolonged flight with the I1 at temperatures around -25ºC. We were extremely religious about battery warming but found the RC battery to be the biggest issue. Inspire was just fine but the battery drain on the RC made things quite difficult. Would highly recommend either keeping the RC plugged in to a power source or having a spare RC on hand.

With the Inspire 2 I think you'll find better performance with the self-warmed batteries. The SSD is not rated for temperatures of that nature but given that the SSD is sandwiched in between the two batteries that should be able to stay within it's optimal operating temp.

Unfortunately can't provide any first hand extreme cold flying with the I2 quite yet but hopefully these insights help and someone who's quite a bit farther north or higher can provide some firsthand experience. Safe flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: vertrider1
That you @Advexure for the insights. You mentioned prolonged flights with the I2 at -25ºC, I assume you meant the I1? I have not purchased my I2 yet but likely will for this specific contract as we were planning on adding it soon anyways as I live in northern Canada and the heated batteries are a must.

I assume I can also use a microSD for image/video capture and storage as well with the I2? And I did not know you could keep the RC plugged in during use, great tip and thanks.

That you @Advexure for the insights. You mentioned prolonged flights with the I2 at -25ºC, I assume you meant the I1? I have not purchased my I2 yet but likely will for this specific contract as we were planning on adding it soon anyways as I live in northern Canada and the heated batteries are a must.

I assume I can also use a microSD for image/video capture and storage as well with the I2? And I did not know you could keep the RC plugged in during use, great tip and thanks.
Yes the remote can be powered by a flight battery with the straight thru cable Batt connector to barrel connector. Great way to keep flying by using spent battery reserve to keep the RC going.

another thing to consider is the tablet youll be using for a monitor. when I flew at about 5 deg f my ipad mini2 shut down in about 5 minutes or less.
some suggested hand warmers or toe warmers taped to the back of the tablet

another thing to consider is the tablet youll be using for a monitor. when I flew at about 5 deg f my ipad mini2 shut down in about 5 minutes or less.
some suggested hand warmers or toe warmers taped to the back of the tablet
I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Skycrystal by DJI, can't find much information about the release date though.

That you @Advexure for the insights. You mentioned prolonged flights with the I2 at -25ºC, I assume you meant the I1?

Sorry, yes, typo there. Meant to say I1, just edited that.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Skycrystal by DJI, can't find much information about the release date though.

There is no firm date on the DJI CrystalSky release/availability. It's expected within Q1. You can learn a bit more about the DJI CrystalSky Monitor here: DJI CrystalSky – Ultra-Bright Drone Video Monitor.

I searched for cold temperature operation and found some interesting threads in the Inspire 1 section of people flying down to -30ºC and I'm hopeful the Inspire 2 will operate at even colder temperatures with the heated batteries?

I am a commercial operator and have a client who would like some footage in the Arctic where it could reach -35 to -40ºC. I know the rating of the Inspire 2 is to -20ºC but if I keep the batteries warm do you think operating at these temperatures is possible, granted if I can stand that cold myself! I'm hoping it can stand these temperatures if the Inspire 1 with the single unheated batteries operate at -30.

Hello, I am also a commercial operator, based in Alaska. We have been flying in the Arctic with the i2 at -15 to -20F with 15mph wind with minimal issues.

- Battery covers - I designed and am testing clip on battery covers that provide wind protection without being permanently affixed to the battery itself. They show lots of promise. During flights without covers batteries can go into self heating mode if they cool down while in flight. With the covers I haven't seen this yet.
- iPad - the iPad likes to freeze, and if exposed will go down in 5-10 minutes. Covering the exposed back with thin insulation helped. I'm going to work out a powered heater for prolonged use.
- RC - didn't cause any problems for me as we spend less than 2 hrs in the air. A spare battery with cable helps
- Landing Gear - this was the biggie, the central drive screw will freeze very quickly in whatever position this is. I tend to leave gear down and fly gently OR have an assistant ready for hand catching. It's best to let the craft warm up before re-lowering gear.

Other than the drone the big thing is your hands and your body. Standing outside at those temps for upwards of 20 minutes. My hands are typically the first thing to get too cold - makes it hard to operate the controls.

Hello, I am also a commercial operator, based in Alaska. We have been flying in the Arctic with the i2 at -15 to -20F with 15mph wind with minimal issues.

- Battery covers - I designed and am testing clip on battery covers that provide wind protection without being permanently affixed to the battery itself. They show lots of promise. During flights without covers batteries can go into self heating mode if they cool down while in flight. With the covers I haven't seen this yet.
- iPad - the iPad likes to freeze, and if exposed will go down in 5-10 minutes. Covering the exposed back with thin insulation helped. I'm going to work out a powered heater for prolonged use.
- RC - didn't cause any problems for me as we spend less than 2 hrs in the air. A spare battery with cable helps
- Landing Gear - this was the biggie, the central drive screw will freeze very quickly in whatever position this is. I tend to leave gear down and fly gently OR have an assistant ready for hand catching. It's best to let the craft warm up before re-lowering gear.

Other than the drone the big thing is your hands and your body. Standing outside at those temps for upwards of 20 minutes. My hands are typically the first thing to get too cold - makes it hard to operate the controls.
Thanks for the reply and details. I'd be interested to learn more about your battery covers and Ipad fix. I flew yesterday in -8ºC and my Ipad went from 100% to shutting off while not getting through 2 batteries on my Phantom 4, it's going to be great when the CrystalSky is finally released. I'm looking forward to adding the Inspire 2 to my line up and like you I only ever fly outside, usually from snowmobile as well and it can get cold on the hands. I really need to get a pair of those textile gloves so I can operate the screen without removing my gloves.

Yup, press and hold the power button on the batt for three seconds to turn on/off. Only really useful if you want to pre-warm a batt as tho' as it kicks in automatically when it detects the battery temp is under 15C.
I would be careful with this feature. I used it on my last shoot and it bricked one of the batteries. Put it in self heat mode, ended up not flying that battery and later in the day it was dead. It had over-discharged itself and is now headed back to DJI for warranty.

I took a set of the 12volt shoe dryers, put them at the bottom of a small cooler with 1/2 inch foam over the top to provide a thermal barrier and dissapate heat. Then I put batteries on top of that. Plugged in for 30-60 minutes while driving and the batts will be a toasty 60-70F when it's time to fly. Of course monitor the temp, too hot is just as bad as too cold.

No later than two days ago, I flew an Inspire 2 at -67°F, in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. Flying and filming with an X5S went well, the only issue I had was the landing gear that got stuck in the upward position. I did the usual mid-air hand catch and manually reset the landing gear with a screwdriver.

Reactions: 2DREAM
We have flown the I2 extensively in very cold weather down to -20°c. (I have posted a video under the videos section) The key in our experience to not having problems, is to try and set the I2 up as quickly as possible out of the box and keep all your batteries in your down jacket so they keep warm. As soon as you have set up turn it on ASAP, even run the motors a little to keep warm till you are ready. We were at our human limit in -20°C so i dont think its much fun to try and fly in less.....

I have flown my I2 at -23c several times, with the new battery firmware keeping the batteries warm before installing on the bird is a must but it flew perfect in the -23c

Have done a number of cold flights with my Inspire 2 using the x5s and Crystalsky. The coldest was about -15 F and a tad below. Here is the deal, if you are shooting stills the I2 will do a good job. BUT, if you are shooting video, then I have learned that things get a bit dicey under 0 F. Be prepared for 'rolling shutter' (aka 'jello'). Why? Though the I2 is flying well, the extreme cold seems to take the flex out of the shock absorbers and they stiffen up. That makes perfect sense. Thus the result is the I2 has less ability to remove vibrations as it would in warmer temps. And if you were using the x4s for video, it would likely be worse (lighter camera). The jello does not show up the entire time, as it seems to be only when you are doing some faster transition heli moves. Shooting stills you will never notice this, but video, be ready for some jello portions of your filming. Frustrating, but that may be why DJI has listed 0 deg F as the lower temp to film in. Hope this helps out some of those who need to do cold weather shots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk