Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 compatible with Olympus 14-42mm?

Reaction score
I am upgrading from my Inspire 1 Raw to the Inspire 2 with the X5S and just realized the DJI website doesn't list compatibility with the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ lens. It lists the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD instead...

Does anyone know if the Olympus will work with the X5S?

From DJI Website. Yes it supports all lenses the X5 and X5r supported:

Zenmuse X5S – Micro Four Thirds Aerial Camera - DJI

Supported LensDJI MFT 15mm/1.7 ASPH (With Balancing Ring and Lens Hood)
Panasonic Lumix 15mm/1.7 (With Balancing Ring and Lens Hood)
Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD
Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm/2.0 (With Balancing Ring)
Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm/1.8 (With Balancing Ring)
Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm/1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm/4.0-5.6
SensorCMOS, 4/3”
Effective Pixels: 20.8MPFOV72° (with DJI MFT 15mm/1.7 ASPH )Photo Resolutions4:3, 5280×3956
16:9, 5280×2970

Last edited:
On a related topic, does anyone have experience with the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD lens they would like to share? I searched and there is not a lot I can find on the inspire forums. I am struggling between the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD and the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm/1.8. I plan on using it for videography of natural scenery vs building inspection. The zoom capability would have its advantages. However, the reviews I have read so far pushes me towards the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 for my application.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaySmith1112
I would also like to know, is the Panasonic one better?
@Shayd,

Although not a direct comparison, the following video shot by 2nd2non "Waap" on the Panasonic should help you. I think the Panasonic would be a good lens for building inspection but probably not something I would use for videography but the videos should help you in that decision. I am sure you can clean things up in post but for me I am just sticking with prime lenses.

X5S compatible lens and balancing thread

Reactions: pmccrary
I have both Olympus and Panasonic. I only have limited tests, the Olympus had some noise. The Panasonic had distortion with h264. But the new firmware is supposed to correct the distortion issue. I'll try to get some side by side comparisons within the week if I am brave enough to upgrade the firmware. Not enough people have used it yet for my comfort and it's a pretty major update.

I have both Olympus and Panasonic. I only have limited tests, the Olympus had some noise. The Panasonic had distortion with h264. But the new firmware is supposed to correct the distortion issue. I'll try to get some side by side comparisons within the week if I am brave enough to upgrade the firmware. Not enough people have used it yet for my comfort and it's a pretty major update.
Besides some noise in the gimbal, mine is running good.

Remove the go app and do a hard restart of your tablet, DELETE THE OLD ASSISTANT APPLICATION FROM THE COMPUTER...

Pretty sure it says to do this somewhere, I read all the notes before I dove in, and I remember reading it somewhere, so that's what I did.

Start with the AC through the new assistant 2 program, then download the new go app and update the remote and batteries.

MAKE SURE TO UPDATE WITH A CAMERA ATTACHED.

ALSO FORMAT THE SD CARD IN THE COMPUTER NOT THE AC BEFORE YOU UPDATE THE AC.

I did these steps and have no issues besides the aggressive PID settings of the gimbal.

Yes I have both and they both work on the x5s. Before the update, the Olympus 14-42 was better because the Panasonic lens had distortion on its image. Have not flown with the new update, so this might have been corrected. All it needed was a FW update anyways

Following this
Wants to know if working ok

I just flew with the Oly 14-42 yesterday with the I2-X5S and lastest firmware .330
Works very well. DJI GO recognizes the lens profile and allows normal aperture and zoom adjustments. Shot a time lapse at 42mm that worked well. 4K video looks fine if you make sure to balance. I didn't have my balance rings so got micro vibrations with the video. Otherwise clarity is pretty good.

I just flew with the Oly 14-42 yesterday with the I2-X5S and lastest firmware .330
Works very well. DJI GO recognizes the lens profile and allows normal aperture and zoom adjustments. Shot a time lapse at 42mm that worked well. 4K video looks fine if you make sure to balance. I didn't have my balance rings so got micro vibrations with the video. Otherwise clarity is pretty good.

Can you please upload a video sample? How it zooms in and if there is any distortion?

I am upgrading from my Inspire 1 Raw to the Inspire 2 with the X5S and just realized the DJI website doesn't list compatibility with the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ lens. It lists the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD instead...

Does anyone know if the Olympus will work with the X5S?

I just bought this lens, Olympus 14-42mm zoom and it is physically too big for the gimble, the thumb knurling on outside the lens rubs against the gimble. but I read that someone here is using it?? what is different? or what did they do to accomodate the size?

here is what I bought
Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ Interchangeable Lens for Olympus/Panasonic Micro 4/3 Digital Camera, Black: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

I just bought this lens, Olympus 14-42mm zoom and it is physically too big for the gimble, the thumb knurling on outside the lens rubs against the gimble. but I read that someone here is using it?? what is different? or what did they do to accomodate the size?

here is what I bought
Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ Interchangeable Lens for Olympus/Panasonic Micro 4/3 Digital Camera, Black: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

Can you please upload a video sample? How it zooms in and if there is any distortion?

DJI has a lens profile setup in DJI GO to make it work. No "abnormal" distortion at least with h264. I know the LUMIX 14-42 had distortion, but that has been corrected in a recent firmware update.

My limited testing shows the Oly will work for stills. The jury is out for video as I had micro vibrations, albeit without proper balance.
The LUMIX has Optical Image Stabilization. I suspect this is needed for videos especially at the higher focal lengths

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar